Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Witherspoon Getting DQ'd Was Garbage

OK, so I have only just watched the fight and I'm shocked that there is no outrage over this.

Are you kidding me? Witherspoon got knocked down at the bell, beat the count with his corner on the apron. They waited for the ref to allow the fight to continue. The ref restarted the fight, the bell rang and the corner went over to Witherspoon and he walked with them back to the corner It's not like he fireman carried Chazz on his back, Chazz walked with the guy.How many fighters have gone to the wrong corner and had to be wrangled by their corner men? Then to stop it halfway through the break was even worse. That was straight garbage, terribly handled fight.

That really sucks. I'm a Chazz fan but though Arreola looked pretty good. Scary power on that guy but I felt the later the fight went the better Chazz was going to do. He had a good round 2 and just couldn't let any punch go unanswered which was his undoing. Whatever, he may have been saved from a KO in the next round but that was garbage.

Fair play to Arreola, take nothing away from him I think he really improved his status, a lot more then just raw aggression like I thought but his fans should have been mad at that too. What a disgrace that was.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Witherspoon Getting DQ'd Was Garbage

I do think the ref lost it a bit.He missed the bell and yelled "ring the bell" at time keeper.Even in the interview the ref did not sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer .He had to have an official tell him that Chazz's corner man was on apron. Have to tell ya though, Chazz is very lucky it was at the bell...he was on bad legs and staggered to the right when ref turned away after count.In hindsight though,it would not have mattered Imo,He was toast and out on his feet.Arreola had a KO on deck and Witherspoon has some shade with minor controversy & stoppage....And still has never been KO'd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What's the big deal? Everybody should just skip all the technicality shits. Chazz had no chance anyways. I bet he's more happy with the DQ lost than getting KTFO by Arreola.
    Hidden Content
    Baggins Clan

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually thought Witherspoon had a chance as the fight went on as long as he could have survived the 4th. He did a very nice job of moving in the 2nd and thought as the fight went on he had a better chance of duplicating that success as Chazz has always been a guy who gets better as the fight goes on. Oh well but I did think it was a terrible call by the ref.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How many times was Witherspoon down in the fight?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob View Post
    How many times was Witherspoon down in the fight?
    Twice in the third.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I couldn't believe that hillbilly ref did that. He should be reffing c#ck fights in Alabama, not HBO fights. I was pulling for Arreola, but Witherspoon is a classy guy and didn't throw a fit when I wouldn't have blamed him if he did. Maybe they will get rematched with each other.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow , i saw that fight and i been surprise , i saw Witherspoon in bad condition , but he could recover , i saw his team entering to the ring after bell sound and that cost them the fight with stupid Mistake..............
    Last edited by Macho; 06-22-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry amat but rules are rules.
    The round is not over EVEN after the bell rings IF the fighter is getting a count.

Fact is you can't even stand on the ring OUTSIDE of the ropes if the fight is on. Which is why I always say Meldrick Taylor would have/should have been DQ because Lou Duva was on the apron as Steel was still counting.

Also Chazz was as good as done. He tried boxing Arreola in round 2 and it didn't work. He went toe to toe and that was a mistake I think it was only a matter of time before Chazz went down and hard if anything I think the ref. saved Chazz from a brutal TKO loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm split on this issue.

On one hand, Witherspoon was getting beaten up, so it seemed inevitable that he was going to lose anyway, so the stoppage probably saved him from extra punishment.

On the other hand, a rule is a rule, but the intent of the rule is more important than the letter of the rule. Witherspoon's cornerman coming into the ring didn't give Chazz any type of advantage, the round was over regardless, no punches were going to be thrown. If this were a more competitive fight, it'd be terrible to stop a fight over some confusion regarding the bell that didn't give either fighter an unfair advantage. I would hope that if this had been a close fight, that the ref would have known enough to not disqualify him.

For example, in the Mayweather-Judah fight, Floyd technically could have been disqualified for Roger entering the ring, but the ref was smart enough to know that disqualifying FLoyd would be rewarding Judah for punching low illegally and intentionally.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's ridiculous. It would have been one thing if he DQ'd him as soon as the ring men entered the apron but to do it after the fact is ridiculous. There was confusion, a bell rang that the referee didn't hear and that's why they were up there because it had rung. The referee should have acknowledged that confusion and kept his composure instead of DQing Chazz halfway through the break Come on I don't care who you are a fan of, like VD said in another thread, Arreola might have been robbed of a stoppage and Chazz a right to continue. I agree with Lennox on this one as I usually do, that was badly mishandled. I would have much rather seen a brutal TKO then that DQ.

And he boxed beautifully in round two, nice movement kept Arreola at bay and had a really good round.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought the ref should have stopped the fight as soon as Witherspoon fell trying to get up.

He started to get up and he didn't know where his legs were, then staggered to his feet and was held up by the ropes.

Nobody who has ever said the Meldrick Taylor stoppage against Chavez was justified can have complaints here.

It doesn't matter that it came right at the end of the bell, he was done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only thing that surprised me was that it wasn't ruled a TKO for Arreola. That should have been the call honestly.

He fell flat on his face and that's a sure sign of a fighter being in serious trouble and in need of saving. Besides that, after the fight was over, a few minutes had gone by and Chazz was still stumbling.

That fight was over man. He could've gotten seriously hurt.
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate to say it,because I like Chazz,but the commission rules, are the rules. In most southern states,the corner isnt even allowed to talk during the round, let alone get on the apron.
    According to the rules of the state, the ref followed the rules. It sucks that his corner was that undisciplined, but those are the rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The ref saved Chazz from being knocked out COLD.

Arreola is much better then we give him credit for. It's just hard to take him seriously: his body looks like that of a couch potato, but he fights like a true pressure fighter.

Thread Information