Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Shifting for the rear punch.

Hi,
    In shifting the wieght, for the lead punch you just shift your weight from rear leg to the front leg.But, how do you shift for the follow up for the lead i.e the rear since you already have shifted the weight to the front.
    In Jack Dempsey's book "Championship fighting...",he mentions the shoulder whirl punch.But,here you are standing square with both legs evenly placed. But in normal boxing stance how is it possible to shift the weight for rear punch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shifting for the rear punch.

You dont shift your feet in the first place, you use your hips and proper form,one punch leads to another

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi shashangan, first off I'd like just like to welcome you to the board.

Anyways, there is also your body's biomechanics to consider, but when it comes to the aspect of shifting your body weight it from one leg to another it all depends on what punch that you want to throw.

Keep in mind that when you lead off of the jab that you don't shift your weight to your front leg. However, when you throw your right/rear hand you do shift your weight to your front leg (without compromising your center of gravity). Following this up with a left/front-hook you would shift your weight onto your rear leg. The shifting of weight from one leg to another may explain how lefts and rights flow off of each other which you can experience for yourself by throwing a left-hook, straight right, left hook, straight right.

It get's trickier when you double and even triple up with punches from one side of your body. You'll still have to shift your weight, and to do so you need to be able to quickly assume a proper stance/posture. It takes practice, but it can be done. A good example of this is when Joe Louis threw a mean triple left-hook at Max Baer.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi,
    Let's say if I throw a left jolt (powerful left jab mentioned by Jack Dempsey),how can I follow it up with my right with shifting.
    And you are saying that for left jab there is no weight shift which means the left jab is used as a light fly swatter and its only purpose is to set up the combinations.Am I right?
    I think I was confised by JAck Dempsey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shashangan View Post
    Hi,
    Let's say if I throw a left jolt (powerful left jab mentioned by Jack Dempsey),how can I follow it up with my right with shifting.
    And you are saying that for left jab there is no weight shift which means the left jab is used as a light fly swatter and its only purpose is to set up the combinations.Am I right?
    The weight shift is in the hips,not the feet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shashangan View Post
    Hi,
    Have you ever gone skiing before? Anyways to turn when you are skiing, you move your weight from one leg to another. That's basically how weight shifting works in boxing, shifting your weight from one leg to another.

With the jab, you don't necessarily need to step in with it to bring more power into the punch. Assuming that you're standing in the proper stance, you can do much better than a "fly swatter". You bring power into it with a quick slight turn of your hips, turning your shoulder until your front shoulder practically touches your chin, and finally a quick shove from your foot if you want an extra boost. Also don't worry about bringing it back fast, just don't get lazy with leaving it out, and make sure it returns along the same path that it came out on.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Thread Information