Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Just missed having another "Boricua" champion by THIS much

Damn... I had a pretty good feeling about this one going in. I thought Mario "El Principe" Santiago would pull it off against Steven Luevano, for the WBO featherweight title. But "tie goes to the champion", so Steven escapes with his title. Mario had a chance to put him away in the 5th, but it wasn't meant to be. Amazing how the asinine scoring continues in boxing. Two judges had it pretty even (115-113 for Mario, and 114-114)... but some dude called Harry "Must've Misplaced My Glasses" Davis had it 117-111. What an idiot. Don't these guys have to pass some kind of test to become championship fight judges? I smell rematch.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Just missed having another "Boricua" champion by THIS much

That was a very good fight, didn't watch it live but saw it later. Great fight, didn't score it because didn't know I would have to but to give Santiago 3 rounds is really just ridiculous.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    That was a very good fight, didn't watch it live but saw it later. Great fight, didn't score it because didn't know I would have to but to give Santiago 3 rounds is really just ridiculous.
    I mean, really. They make people in other professions take tests to determine their aptitude. Why can't they make judges more accountable? Judge Joe Blow posts a ridiculous score, and as reward gets invited back to judge MORE fights? C'mon... give me a break here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Damn... I had a pretty good feeling about this one going in. I thought Mario "El Principe" Santiago would pull it off against Steven Luevano, for the WBO featherweight title. But "tie goes to the champion", so Steven escapes with his title. Mario had a chance to put him away in the 5th, but it wasn't meant to be. Amazing how the asinine scoring continues in boxing. Two judges had it pretty even (115-113 for Mario, and 114-114)... but some dude called Harry "Must've Misplaced My Glasses" Davis had it 117-111. What an idiot. Don't these guys have to pass some kind of test to become championship fight judges? I smell rematch.
    Was rhinking the same thing myself, but hey it ain't fair that we keep dominating the sport like this...

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the fight was close and could have gone either way.
    A Santiago win or a Luevano win would have been OK.

Lots of credit to Santiago for throwing Luevano off and making Luevano fight the wrong fight. It seems like Luevano forgot that he's a boxer and for some reason wanted to trade with the harder puncher.

If Santiago applies himself and really works hard I can def. see him as future champ. Also I think Santiago taking off those 2 late rounds 9 & 10 is what killed him and if he would have at least fought in those rounds he might have pulled it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was a very good fight and a rematch is highly anticipated. I thought Santiago won, but since Leuvano is the champ, Santiago had to do just a bit more than he already did to win the fight. I believe that in the next fight the judges will score it accurately since now they know the skill Santiago has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that Luevano should give the rematch to Santiago , he deserve it...........................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

P4P still the best P.R. brings it !!!

Addicted to_boxing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rican View Post
    It was a very good fight and a rematch is highly anticipated. I thought Santiago won, but since Leuvano is the champ, Santiago had to do just a bit more than he already did to win the fight. I believe that in the next fight the judges will score it accurately since now they know the skill Santiago has.
    So Rican does than mean using this same logic JMM won the fight over Pac in their last fight? I think so ..............

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to_boxing View Post
    So Rican does than mean using this same logic JMM won the fight over Pac in their last fight? I think so ..............
    I thought JMM won the fight with Pac, because I scored 7 rounds for him. I've never understood the whole idea that you have to win by a large margin in order to dethrone the champion. All fights are scored round by round, the idea that the champion wouldn't actually have to win more rounds to retain his title is silly.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to_boxing View Post
    I thought JMM won the fight with Pac, because I scored 7 rounds for him. I've never understood the whole idea that you have to win by a large margin in order to dethrone the champion. All fights are scored round by round, the idea that the champion wouldn't actually have to win more rounds to retain his title is silly.
    Agreed. I can see if a round is close and you award that to the champion but if the rounds are close, you can't just award that to the champion. There weren't a whole lot of close rounds in that fight imo, the second was probably one of the closer rounds. I will have to watch it again to score it.

Addicted to_boxing Guest

I watched the fight but left and did not see the verdict. Boy was I surprised and I am Mexican but love boxing more! Santiago was ripped off!!!

Thread Information