Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The problem with Boxing & It's training.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The problem with Boxing & It's training.

Good I must be talking sense then .
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    Scrap, you're starting to sound like Andre
    Cause he wants to cast his lure to the exact target; the ones that'll think it out, instead of get it handed to them on a plate .
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your complaint doesn't seem to be so much with boxing or training... you just found a better trainer for you.

It's an observation that sometimes, the people who win fights don't necessarily have better technique (or at least, the best technique for themself) and get by on talent, guts, perserverence, intuition, etc.

It's an observation that being a champion doesn't mean you can train them, or that if you train champions it doesn't necessarily mean you teach the best technique, or at least, not the best technique for everyone.

Sometimes there are genius coaches out there who just don't get any talented or dedicated pupils to properly apply their methods, and then one finds you, and you discover them, sort of in the same way a coach who's not very good might discover a pupil who is really dedicated and has great intuition and ability to read an opponent, even if the methods they're using against them aren't as good as they could be under a better coach's techniques.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Shalaa get a cheap fishing net.
    Right yes i remember - I couldn't find a cane fishing net last time I looked but I'll try again or try to find the equivalent. Thanks Scrap!

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Is there a board that monitors your supervisors, that you could complain to or make suggestions to in order to improve. It has to be frustrating dealing with people like that. I find they sound a bit arrogant and condescending from you description.
    I know you wouldn't like reporting them, but at the end of the day, they're there for you. Their only function is to help your learning not frustrate or hold you back.

As for the language barrier....oh dear....we were in college in our second year. We prepared a project in a group and the lecturer randomnly selected the spesker to present the report in front of the entirter class, our marks would be awarded on this presentation. Randomnly the lectureer assigned a guy with a terrible stutter to be our speaker.
    It was entirely up to him whether to sp3eak or not. None of the rest of the group wanted to say "I thinbk we should do it," and he never stepped back from the challenge. I worked especially hard on the report, putting together I would say 80% of the entire project and I knew it was good stuff.

On the day he stood on front of the class and nerves made his stutter worse and worse, making it appear as if the report ahd a million and one holes in it......Disaster....came out with 20%.
    I hate being held back by thrid parties.
    Yeah Donny I'm flattered you think I'm the type to be patient enough not to have complained - but really I'm an impatient cow! I did probably take a little longer to bring up certain issues than I should have - almost a year but I have brought it up well and truly now.

I submitted a supervision report to the head CEO. I spoke to a university councellor about it who told me how to go about documenting things. I made collaborations with interstate scientists in my field so that they could back me up on the problems which formed the basis of my project which my supervisor didn't want to face up to.

I don't know if it had anything to do with all of my hissy fits or just the general vibe from all the PhD students but the university launched an enquiry into the way PhD students were managed in our centre. We were all interviewed by an impartial scientist brought in from overseas and he had to submit a report.

Now they have set in place things like if you have a non-native english speaking supervisor you also need to have another one who is a native english speaker. They even have to have other people in the field who are not supervisors but monitor the projects to make sure that they are realistic and doable in the time we have.

They also have a PhD students committee so we can ask for help with supervisor and project issues. All this has only just come into place in the last couple of months and I'm meant to be finishing soonish. It's too late to help me but hopefully some of the more difficult supervisors will have to think about whether or not they really want a student or just a technition.

The problem with the Russian guy supervising my friend is all his technitions quit but his students are locked in for 3 years. He has always chosen mild mannered men (total of 2) or female (many) people to be his students and technitions. People who don't yell back or in the case of my friend just don't bother yelling back anymore because he's louder.

He's getting to the bottom of the pool of people who will work with him now though. His next supervisor is going to be another adult experienced Russian male and I'm actually really looking forward to the fireworks in a twisted sick kinda way!

Too bad to hear about what happened with your report. Especially being so busy with all your other responsibilities it must be so frustrating to put effort into something not have it shown properly.

At least you know it will be a different story when you present your individual work. I don't know about you but having ring time in front of small crowds makes public speaking relatively easy for me in comparison.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
    Your complaint doesn't seem to be so much with boxing or training... you just found a better trainer for you.

It's an observation that sometimes, the people who win fights don't necessarily have better technique (or at least, the best technique for themself) and get by on talent, guts, perserverence, intuition, etc.

It's an observation that being a champion doesn't mean you can train them, or that if you train champions it doesn't necessarily mean you teach the best technique, or at least, not the best technique for everyone.

Sometimes there are genius coaches out there who just don't get any talented or dedicated pupils to properly apply their methods, and then one finds you, and you discover them, sort of in the same way a coach who's not very good might discover a pupil who is really dedicated and has great intuition and ability to read an opponent, even if the methods they're using against them aren't as good as they could be under a better coach's techniques.
    I've trained in numerous gyms in my country.
    I think that there is a common attitude and perception. toward boxing and it's training in these gyms.
    The trainers are inflexible and as a community they believe themselves 100% correct. So I feel the problem is general and not just applicable to my own circumstances.

I personally lay testament to your claim about winning without being the better boxer.
    And yet, although I have gotten by on physicality, fitness and a little natural ability, I strive to become more skilled.

Knowledge is certainly not distributed evenly in the boxing world.
    Not geographically or quantitatively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Shalaa get a cheap fishing net.
    Right yes i remember - I couldn't find a cane fishing net last time I looked but I'll try again or try to find the equivalent. Thanks Scrap!

Is there a board that monitors your supervisors, that you could complain to or make suggestions to in order to improve. It has to be frustrating dealing with people like that. I find they sound a bit arrogant and condescending from you description.
    I know you wouldn't like reporting them, but at the end of the day, they're there for you. Their only function is to help your learning not frustrate or hold you back.

As for the language barrier....oh dear....we were in college in our second year. We prepared a project in a group and the lecturer randomnly selected the spesker to present the report in front of the entirter class, our marks would be awarded on this presentation. Randomnly the lectureer assigned a guy with a terrible stutter to be our speaker.
    It was entirely up to him whether to sp3eak or not. None of the rest of the group wanted to say "I thinbk we should do it," and he never stepped back from the challenge. I worked especially hard on the report, putting together I would say 80% of the entire project and I knew it was good stuff.

On the day he stood on front of the class and nerves made his stutter worse and worse, making it appear as if the report ahd a million and one holes in it......Disaster....came out with 20%.
    I hate being held back by thrid parties.
    Yeah Donny I'm flattered you think I'm the type to be patient enough not to have complained - but really I'm an impatient cow! I did probably take a little longer to bring up certain issues than I should have - almost a year but I have brought it up well and truly now.

I submitted a supervision report to the head CEO. I spoke to a university councellor about it who told me how to go about documenting things. I made collaborations with interstate scientists in my field so that they could back me up on the problems which formed the basis of my project which my supervisor didn't want to face up to.

I don't know if it had anything to do with all of my hissy fits or just the general vibe from all the PhD students but the university launched an enquiry into the way PhD students were managed in our centre. We were all interviewed by an impartial scientist brought in from overseas and he had to submit a report.

Now they have set in place things like if you have a non-native english speaking supervisor you also need to have another one who is a native english speaker. They even have to have other people in the field who are not supervisors but monitor the projects to make sure that they are realistic and doable in the time we have.

They also have a PhD students committee so we can ask for help with supervisor and project issues. All this has only just come into place in the last couple of months and I'm meant to be finishing soonish. It's too late to help me but hopefully some of the more difficult supervisors will have to think about whether or not they really want a student or just a technition.

The problem with the Russian guy supervising my friend is all his technitions quit but his students are locked in for 3 years. He has always chosen mild mannered men (total of 2) or female (many) people to be his students and technitions. People who don't yell back or in the case of my friend just don't bother yelling back anymore because he's louder.

He's getting to the bottom of the pool of people who will work with him now though. His next supervisor is going to be another adult experienced Russian male and I'm actually really looking forward to the fireworks in a twisted sick kinda way!

Too bad to hear about what happened with your report. Especially being so busy with all your other responsibilities it must be so frustrating to put effort into something not have it shown properly.

At least you know it will be a different story when you present your individual work. I don't know about you but having ring time in front of small crowds makes public speaking relatively easy for me in comparison.
    Sharla....
    One sentence reply here.

I aspire to do what you have done in my next year, well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sharla....
    One sentence reply here.

Thanks Donny - but it took me 3 years

I wasted waaaaaay too much time feeling sorry for myself, being in denial, cracking sooky la las and seeing myself as a victim which is bad for reasons Andre has touched on in other threads.

I doubt you'll make the same mistakes as me somehow though!

Good luck - not that you'll need it
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    Sharla....
    One sentence reply here.

Thanks Donny - but it took me 3 years

I wasted waaaaaay too much time feeling sorry for myself, being in denial, cracking sooky la las and seeing myself as a victim which is bad for reasons Andre has touched on in other threads.

I doubt you'll make the same mistakes as me somehow though!

Good luck - not that you'll need it
    I have done the same thing believe me!

But its time to sort things out properly and If I can stay this driven I'll get it done.

Thread Information