Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Started running again yesterday...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Started running again yesterday...

Hi ICB, thanks for asking I've been trying to get some uni work done but not achieved as much as I hoped so i'm probably just a minor Saddos member for the next few months until I've got things under control.

Boxing is going ok I guess. I asked my coach last night what we'd decided about the nationals - which are only 2 or 3 weeks away - and it turns out we might nominate - if it's not too late to organize.

I think he was hoping to get me a bout before the nationals to help me prepare for it but it's crept up quickly because they usually have the nationals later in the season.

Apart from that there haven't been any matches around at all this year and i've had trouble juggling uni work and training and been sick for a week and a half so I doubt i'll be the most hard core boxer there.

I guess it's all experience though and i think my understanding of a few things has improved since last year.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    While were on the subject, how many do any preperation to run. A very forgotten aspect , run or do anything and fail to prepare at the end you better be prepared to fail .
    I've gotten to where I do a bit of stretching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok Scrap you've got me thinking about it - although I admit to complete laziness and stupidity for not really having put a lot of thought into it before apart from concluding that a longish walk warm up seems to make running easier .

I googled and found this:

The four key elements that should be included to ensure an effective and complete warm up are:
    1. The general warm up
      This phase of the warm up consists of 5 to 15 minutes of light physical activity. The aim here is to elevate the heart rate and respiratory rate, increase blood flow and increase muscle temperature.
    2. Static stretching
      Next, 5 to 15 minutes of gentle static stretching should be used to gradually lengthen all the major muscle groups and associated tendons of the body.
    3. The sports specific warm up
      During this phase of the warm up, 10 to 15 minutes of sport specific drills and exercises should be used to prepare the athlete for the specific demands of their chosen sport.
    4. Dynamic stretching
      Dynamic stretching involves a controlled, soft bounce or swinging motion to force a particular body part past its usual range of movement. The force of the bounce or swing is gradually increased but should never become radical or uncontrolled.
    At this web site:

About.com: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/stretching-warmup.htm

Is this more like what you'd recommend?

I'm also not sure I haven't over simplified what you might have been talking about.

If you just google running preparation you get hits that refer to mental preparation, programming your running as well as the stretching and warm up aspects.

I do try to have a time table for the types of runs I want to do and a gradual build up of kms leading up to a specific event. I'll also assume my training will have phases. I'm trying to increase my kms fairly dramatically at the moment but to let my body get used to the extra mileage I'm not worrying about speed training at all.

I'm also doing most of my running on surfaces which are much softer than concrete - loose sand, grass and firmer dirt / running track type surfaces.

I figure this will help not only to reduce impact but to develop some muscle groups. I met a runner in Japan a few years ago who was a firm believer in running on snow and ice for the same reason. Not much of that here though.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

right well I searched you past posts to try to see what you're getting at Scrap.

I noticed you had included a lot about warming down - is warming down and post workout stretching a part of preparation that's missed too often? Is that what you were referring to?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is Sharla, Ill have to do a thread on it. But Ill have to leave certain things out I can give you clues and a working principal. Working on this tits thing at the moment and the results are out of this planet. A freind at the uni sent me a lecturer in the Sports Science department to work with an ex Volleyball player who nobody could do anything with 6 sessions on the tits she is sorted, its all to do with principle.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just read the artical Sharla, I think we can take it a stage further
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is Sharla, Ill have to do a thread on it. But Ill have to leave certain things out I can give you clues and a working principal. Working on this tits thing at the moment and the results are out of this planet. A freind at the uni sent me a lecturer in the Sports Science department to work with an ex Volleyball player who nobody could do anything with 6 sessions on the tits she is sorted, its all to do with principle.
    Just read the artical Sharla, I think we can take it a stage further
    Often I read little things about interrupting your workout for 20 mins and then you burn energy more efficiently afterwards.

I can't really nut out any reason why that would help physiologically because i thought you'd just get cold and have to warm up all over again.

Perhaps it's really light movement like walking? Am I on the right track or way off with what the next stage would be?

I can't think of anything that would be effective in 6 seconds though - visualization? To help recruit the correct muscle fibres - perhaps assisited visualization - something to get you starting a similar movement in the correct form?

After using whatever that might be - a back brace or resistance bands or wobble board or all of the above - then you can do it more effectively and safely for the remainder of the session unassisted? That would be stage 3 though according to the article and i would have thought a git like myself has the wrong action for many things engrained enough to need more than 6 seconds to retrain the correct movement.....?

Ok I'll have to think about this a bit more obviously - thanks for the clues Scrap
    Last edited by Sharla; 07-06-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad to see you've shared your experitse with the sports bra people, maintaining the perkiness of the ladies tits benefits us all.

I've learned the hard way the benefits of a proper warm down with an extended period of stretching. I think it's the 'condition' thread you're talking about, I'll keep a keen eye on it as it develops.

Thread Information