Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Olympic Style Boxing

don't know enough about olympic boxing, but in amateurs whoever throws the most punches usually wins. that's why it's not necessarily indicative of your future success as pro.

Max Kellerman said it best. ask yourself who you'd have rather been in that round. That's the guy you give the round to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah it's true that one shouldn't be rewarding people only for power and to give incentive to be skillful, but this doesn't necessarily induce people to be skillful, it's not just powerful hits that lack technique, fast weak hits can be unskilled and lack proper form too, but they could still win someone a lot of points if they hit the target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

all this talk means one thing, and one thing only:

never let it go into the hands of the judges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its hard to knock someone out that is wearing head gear, and even if u are dominating the fight u can still get screwed. Ask Roy Jones.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I like the system of Olympic style boxing...for I think it is rewarding contact, and correct contact if scored properly with the whites of the gloves, and not the slaps.

I think it will prepare a person better for a future in boxing then a system that say would reward KD's. A system rewarding power shots is I don't think preparing a person properly. A person may have that power, but still need to learn how to use it effectely. Plus swinging for the fences ain't boxing, that's brawling...and I think the system tries to discourage that.
    My problem with it is that all the judges have to hit the button within a certain amount of time. This is very difficult to do when someone is throwing combinations.
    Points are not rewarded for combinations as such.

If a flurry is thrown and sen to land with the majority of punches then a point is rewarded.

If two fighters enter into an exchange the judges wait until the end of the exchange and award a point to the fighter they viewed as the winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    Its hard to knock someone out that is wearing head gear, and even if u are dominating the fight u can still get screwed. Ask Roy Jones.
    The headguards are there to stop you getting cut and not to absorb punches, you get a clean punch on the chin and it's lights out. However it is completely different from pro boxing, your there to win on points (seeing as knockdowns aren't rewarded), where as pro's go for knockouts.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm an amature boxer. i lost my last fight and i felt robed. not only did i land the harder punches but i scored 3 knock downs!!! in the amatures a knock down and a pitty pat punch are both counted as 1. in other words a knock down does not count for nothing. thats why often in times you see cases where a fighter in the pro's whoops a fighter that beat him in the amatures. hell even tyson lost in the olympic tryouts..

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The scoring system can be frustrating. Some fighters are naturally better suited for a pro style, and others amateur. I don't think the system is set up wrong. If a person is a naturally gritty and hard punching boxer, he should try to overcome the strictly power shot type boxing and work on throwing more punches in bunches and so on, which I think is effective to learning boxing in the first place. Combos, a variety of punches, mobility, plus a defence. Part of the reasoning behind not awarding extra points for KD's is for that very reason.

If you look at the higher levels of amateur boxing, the fluffy tap tap point getters aren't there making it to the top, for they are being met with more complete all around fighters, who bring a variety of skills to the ring and usually some power too. It can be and I've seen it frustrating, as in a case if you've knocked a person down 3 times and went on to lose. But unless you feel you out-pointed him and flat out lost a bad decision...that's just how it goes. Bad decisions do happen too.

There will likely always be this arguement in the scoring difference between ams and pro, but I doubt it will be changing any time soon. The ams is trying to keep people from getting knocking out, and teaching overall boxing skills. The pros you should now have those skills and is all now about the knockout and action.

Why even bother to learn a jab properly, if ya got a rocket for a right that's gonna knock people down and out in the ams, right? Well you do it because you are forced to thru the point system and if ya get so far as the pros, you are not there ill-equipped.

I may have a different thought process to this after this fall, who knows, if I get swarmed by some guy who is love tapping me to a win...but for now I think it is set up properly for a learning boxer.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the Amatuers Rounds are not scored.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information