Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Can Oscar beat Cotto at this stage of his career?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De La Hoya! Has he got what it takes to beat the winner of Cotto Margarito

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default De La Hoya! Has he got what it takes to beat the winner of Cotto Margarito

It seems like Oscar De La Hoya is going to fight the winner of the Margarito v Cotto fight in his "final" bout. I am a huge fan of Oscars and would like to see him go out on a high by beating someone like Cotto but after a lot of hard fights and with father time against him, does he have what it takes to defeat a good young fighter like Cotto or even Margarito should he spring the upset?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: De La Hoya! Has he got what it takes to beat the winner of Cotto Margarito

DLH will give a good account of himself but he is way past his best as the Forbes fight showed us all. DLH is still dangerous to someone like Cotto because he is a lot easier to hit than Mayweather and he does have a great left hook! I would expect Cotto to beat him over 12 rounds but underestimate DLH at your peril.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: De La Hoya! Has he got what it takes to beat the winner of Cotto Margarito

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    DLH will give a good account of himself but he is way past his best as the Forbes fight showed us all. DLH is still dangerous to someone like Cotto because he is a lot easier to hit than Mayweather and he does have a great left hook! I would expect Cotto to beat him over 12 rounds but underestimate DLH at your peril.
    Ive voted for De La Hoya after spending a good few minutes thinking about it. I don't read too much into the Forbes fight as Oscar was rusty and was maybe looking past him a bit. The only thing that I could think of to seperate them in the end was Oscars big fight experience and the fact the judges may well be kind to him for his final bout if the fight is close which I would expect it to be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    Ive voted for De La Hoya after spending a good few minutes thinking about it. I don't read too much into the Forbes fight as Oscar was rusty and was maybe looking past him a bit. The only thing that I could think of to seperate them in the end was Oscars big fight experience and the fact the judges may well be kind to him for his final bout if the fight is close which I would expect it to be.
    The judges may well be the only ones kind to him on the night because Cotto won't be, have you seen what happens to Cotto's opponents after they have fought him? Most walk around with faces like a busted ass for about 5 days. Still, Cotto can be hit and can be hurt so DLH has a chance and you are right his big fight experience gives him some advantage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It seems like Oscar De La Hoya is going to fight the winner of the Margarito v Cotto fight in his "final" bout. I am a huge fan of Oscars and would like to see him go out on a high by beating someone like Cotto but after a lot of hard fights and with father time against him, does he have what it takes to defeat a good young fighter like Cotto or even Margarito should he spring the upset?
    Oscar does not deserve to fight the winner, Boxing is just politics and $.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man,CounrtyBoy stole the thunder.Oscar has not beat a ranked fighter in what.....4 years?Just because Mayweather opted out of their rematch dance does not merit The Diva center stage..........but the phat pockets and status can help to be a shot caller.

The pole can throw ya,no option For Margarito LOl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

just becaue of ODLH's height advantage , yes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Man,CounrtyBoy stole the thunder.Oscar has not beat a ranked fighter in what.....4 years?Just because Mayweather opted out of their rematch dance does not merit The Diva center stage..........but the phat pockets and status can help to be a shot caller.

How was Ricardo Mayorga not ranked, he was a reigning world champ?

And Oscar went closer to beating the worlds best fighter than arguably anybody else and he's beaten Steve Forbes since so how is he not qualified to fight Cotto?

With Floyd gone what better fight is there for Cotto than the Golden Boy. He'll have already beaten Mosely and Margarito, there is only Paul Williams left and Cotto would make at least double, maybe three times as much against Oscar AND get far more exposure than for all his previous fights combined.

If Cotto fought and beat Oscar that would do more for his career and to build his profile than everything he's done up to this point.

It would doubtless lead to a clamour of fanfare wanting to see Floyd come out of retirement to fight the guy that beat Mosely, Margarito AND Oscar and we'd have a genuine megafight on our hands.

And you can't tell me a fight between Cotto and Oscar won't be competitive because Oscar is always competitive with every man he's ever faced. Him and Cotto would be a great fight, and most definitely he's the opponent I most want Cotto to face after Margarito.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

And Oscar went closer to beating the worlds best fighter than arguably anybody else and he's beaten Steve Forbes since so how is he not qualified to fight Cotto?

With Floyd gone what better fight is there for Cotto than the Golden Boy. He'll have already beaten Mosely and Margarito, there is only Paul Williams left and Cotto would make at least double, maybe three times as much against Oscar AND get far more exposure than for all his previous fights combined.

If Cotto fought and beat Oscar that would do more for his career and to build his profile than everything he's done up to this point.

It would doubtless lead to a clamour of fanfare wanting to see Floyd come out of retirement to fight the guy that beat Mosely, Margarito AND Oscar and we'd have a genuine megafight on our hands.

And you can't tell me a fight between Cotto and Oscar won't be competitive because Oscar is always competitive with every man he's ever faced. Him and Cotto would be a great fight, and most definitely he's the opponent I most want Cotto to face after Margarito.
    aww Bilb's I have no doubt what so ever that they would generate the #'s but what Do I care If I don't want to see It.You see,Ive had my fill of a DelaHoya.Will attest to his ability,accomplishments and status but frankly Its time the ol' boy just move on and let the current top threats fight.He will make an outstanding promoter but the combination is tired...

Forbes displayed top notch under the radar skill & respect coming up as lightweight but vs. Delahoya he was a set up fight for future endevors .....thats it!

Mayorga was the perfect foil after Tito thrashed him soundly....cheer's

Ive said it many times,Mayweather may be the ultimate task-master with Delahoya.....all this talk of Cotto/Oscar and honestley in a perfect world it will happen.I will say that Mayweather will come bouncing out of "retire-ment" pending the outcome to break the gate..

Of course Margarito will have quite abit of input on the pre-determined outcome...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

aww Bilb's I have no doubt what so ever that they would generate the #'s but what Do I care If I don't want to see It.You see,Ive had my fill of a DelaHoya.Will attest to his ability,accomplishments and status but frankly Its time the ol' boy just move on and let the current top threats fight.He will make an outstanding promoter but the combination is tired...

Forbes displayed top notch under the radar skill & respect coming up as lightweight but vs. Delahoya he was a set up fight for future endevors .....thats it!

Mayorga was the perfect foil after Tito thrashed him soundly....cheer's

Ive said it many times,Mayweather may be the ultimate task-master with Delahoya.....all this talk of Cotto/Oscar and honestley in a perfect world it will happen.I will say that Mayweather will come bouncing out of "retire-ment" pending the outcome to break the gate..

Of course Margarito will have quite abit of input on the pre-determined outcome...

Not as much as him or his fans would like you to believe. Cotto is gonna slaughter him.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto will most likely beat Margarito. And then if Oscar really wants to go out with a bang I would be most delighted to see Cotto take him apart bit by bit. Oscar just annoys me. He always seems like such a phoney.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Cotto will most likely beat Margarito. And then if Oscar really wants to go out with a bang I would be most delighted to see Cotto take him apart bit by bit. Oscar just annoys me. He always seems like such a phoney.
    True dat, But I don't think Cotto will make it past Marge
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto will out box Marg and if ODH is crazy enough to fight him at Welter then he will get beat in almost as embarrassing fashion as Gomez was.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
    Oscar does not deserve to fight the winner, Boxing is just politics and $.
    I disagree i believe that the winner of this match will deserve a huge payday which Oscar would give them and I believe that for all Oscar has done for the sport he desverves to go out with whoever he wants.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah i'm sorry about that it seems like I am saying Cotto beating Margarito is a foregone conclusion which is not the way that I intended.

Thread Information