Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: body building boxers

thanx monkey i guess that is more the point i wanted to make.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm pretty sure I knew what you meant too iceman. And also agree. I just was confused as to where it was directed. The thing which attracted me to Saddo right away was I noticed the posters were more well-rounded in their knowledge, or seeking of info. then just how to get big and strong.

I still go to most of the other sites as more of a spectator, and sometimes troll just for a laugh. I was just at one (like minutes ago) and had a giggle thinking of this thread...because one of the first posts I saw in the training section was..."How big are your biceps?" lol Not even kidding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the best answer for that should be" well i need your help'" Can you scratch my ass?"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weight lifting for aesthetics isn't very beneficial to a boxer.

I can't see many fighters building stupidly sized biceps or triceps without moving up several weight classes anyway. Your not likely to see 9 stone fighters with 16 inch arms.

Unless you're really genetically gifted it would be very difficult. It comes down to muscle fibers....

For example, an athlete may have a 50/50 mix of fast twitch/slow twitch fibers in a muscle, but since FT fibers normally
    have a larger cross-sectional area than ST fibers, 65% of that muscle's area may be FT and 35% may be ST. Following a strength training program for improvement in muscular strength, the number of FT and ST fibers will remain the same (still 50/50), however the cross-sectional area will change. This happens because the ST fibers will atrophy (get smaller) while the FT fibers will hypertrophy (get larger).
    Depending on the specific intensity used in training, the muscle may change to a 75% FT area and a 25% ST area. The change in area will lead to greater strength but decreased endurance capabilities. In addition, since the mass of FT fibers are greater than that of ST fibers, the athlete will gain mass, as measured by the circumference of the muscle.
    If the athlete trains for muscular endurance, the FT fibers will atrophy while the ST fibers hypertrophy, causing a greater area of ST fibers. The area of the muscle, which began at 65% FT and 35% ST before training, may change to 50% FT and 50% ST following training, The endurance capabilities of the muscle will increase while its strength will decrease, and the athlete will lose some muscle mass, again because ST fibers are lower in mass than FT fibers. The decrease in mass may be observed by a smaller circumference of the muscle.

That pretty much says everything i wanted to say about it. Maybe a little better

Basically explains why it would be very difficult for a boxer to build insanely big arms while having fantastic endurance....unless he was built like an actual brick shithouse to begin with...in which case his arms would already be insanely big.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing uses the musclo-skeletal system in order to generate force.
    This implies that a boxer in order to create physical power (at the point of impact of his fist) must utilise perfect technique when utilising the skeletal system to pivot, twist, create leverage and direct the punch.

This requires the development of functional muscle. Functional muscle obviously aids the body in moving the skeletal system. The development of the muscles allows for faster, more explosive and more powerful movements of the body.

Functional muscle is sport specific. In boxing the individual must target the muscles that need development and in this way they can actually increase punching power, movement and speed.
    Of course, given the nature of the sport, the individual must also tend to the rest of the body and tend to aerobic and anaerobic fitness. Muscle must also be trained to increase endurance, so size is not advantageous.
    The biceps have little function in boxing, but in order to develop ones body to full capacity, every muscle must be attended to.

Nothing for a young amateur boxer to be worried about though.
    They'd be much better served perfecting their technique first

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    just curious, why do so many boxers that come here want 22 inch biceps and similar measurements for the rest of their muscles? do any of you think that the rest of the package should be dealt with? flexability, reaction speed, timing etc? big pretty muscles don't always help you punch harder and they definitely don't help you fight better....
    why would you assume this?
    too much muscle will slow you down, bind you up, make you inflexable, decrease your stamina and take the "Snap" out of punches. Those muscles are great if you could bear hug or body slam, but this is boxing we are talking about.
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu View Post
    too much muscle will slow you down, bind you up, make you inflexable, decrease your stamina and take the "Snap" out of punches. Those muscles are great if you could bear hug or body slam, but this is boxing we are talking about.
    Too much Bulk.

Muscle added in the correct locations can be speeds missing ingredient.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigragu View Post
    Too much Bulk.

Muscle added in the correct locations can be speeds missing ingredient.
    abso-bloody-exactly

Thread Information