Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Learning boxing as part of MMA?

If your city doesn't have a boxing gym, until one can move to a place that teaches boxing exclusively, what are people's opinions on starting out learning this as part of another martial art or generic type of gym? Like, in this place I took some TKD the teacher says "yeah I incorporate some boxing technique". It's not comparable really since all he teaches is jabbing, and there's a minimal amount of space so you have to keep circling each other or else you will knock into another pair of people sparring. No ropes or anything...

The best I can figure is that this forces you to learn to be aggressive since you can't retreat a lot. So it's probably better for learning inboxing than outboxing techniques. Outboxing sounds like something much more technique-laden that requires a coach and a boxing-focused gym to learn.

It doesn't use boxing gloves, but instead these things which strap on and the palms are uncovered, it covers the knuckles and also the back of the hand. Sort of like this:

The way I figure, since the inside is bare, you can make a tighter fist, meaning if the opponent is using these, they might be easier to dodge, but harder to block since they can slip through a loose guard easier than a wider glove. To close the fist also wouldn't require squeezing it as much, not sure what effects that would have.

Since you'd also be learning to block kicks, I wonder if practicing blocking kicks with your guard (and combining this with using your body to roll with it so you don't have to absorb it head-on, because kicks are heavy) might help prepare you for taking punches with your guard? Thai kickboxers tend to have pretty strong guards from doing this right?

What I figured was, I should join a gym and do TKD, and then get a heavy bag (and maybe a speed bag) for training at home and do stuff like jump rope and sprints and all that. Then, once I've built up some fitness and stuff I could learn techniques from a more professional boxing gym?

Oh yeah and I know TKD isn't really 'MMA' as people call it since there's no grappling or groundwork or anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Learning boxing as part of MMA?

so what is your question?

if you want to learn mma, then tkd is a waste of time.... probably a waste of time anyway. It requires incredible skill and athleticism, but really doesn't serve any purpose other than in a tkd tourney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

be careful, most tkd schools say if you kick high, then naturally your low kicks will be good...this is not only false but stupid... learn to box, from a coach that can box. do mma if you want to do mma, but even thai boxing isn't mma and just grappling isn't either. find a reputable school don't waste money on a starter art...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but, if you can't find a legit mma school, then i would say boxing/kickboxing, muay thai, judo and bjj are a great place to start. IMO it's good to have a solid foundation and build off it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i agree, judo, wrestling are both olympic spotrs and a good base, so is boxing but keep in mind all i mean ALL arts need to be modified before you can just jump in and do mma...boxers stance is too narrow and a thai stance can be too wide...etc etc..and tkd? well all things being the same skill set wise, a thai guy will really really hurt your legs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post
    so what is your question?

if you want to learn mma, then tkd is a waste of time.... probably a waste of time anyway. It requires incredible skill and athleticism, but really doesn't serve any purpose other than in a tkd tourney.
    Taiquando is mainly about flashy performances. Those fancy spinning backkicks may be powerful, but someone quick could nail you in the back of the head while doin' a spin back kick.
    Two sounds - Me hitting you and you hitting the floor.<br />I have to hope you ain't a girl you nitwit.

Thread Information