Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: how to get inside a taller man's reach.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default how to get inside a taller man's reach.

does anyone have any ways to get inside a taller mans reach. im 5'7 the guy im fighting is 6'4. were heavyweights. i just need to get inside but i need some ways on how to get inside then i will ko him. he also has a long reach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: how to get inside a taller man's reach.

hey i am 6ft 4 , your oppenate will most likly be using his jab as you will find it diffcult to get past this.
    you will want to try and slip the jab get in side and do your work then get out fast. some say that taller fighters dont hit so hard close up... to me this is a lie i can hit just as hard close up, so still be carfull.

when you slip the jab watch out for the right, i use this when they try and come under the jab it can be VERY devestating when it hits as you will be coming straight into it and it increases the power

hope this makes sence if not i will re right it 2 moz ...my dads moaning at me lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Possibly the easiest thing to do is to just follow the jab back in with him, especially if he throws it lazily. Just watch out for him doubling up the jab, and always keep an eye out for that follow up cross. Also, depending on the type of boxer he is, see if he tries to block a feint or two, but I wouldnt rely on that too heavily (he should be pecking away from a distance with the jab, not covering up, but hey...its worth a try)
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you have his jab timed, try pawing it and moving in. Watch Frazier vs Ali, he was great at pawing Ali's jabs... just not good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THIS IS HOW YOU GET INSIDE A TALL GUY.(QUAWI MUHAMMAD STYLE) KEEP YOUR CHIN TUCKED AND MOVE YOUR HEAD; BREAK DIP ETC. THERE ARE THREE PUNCHES YOU SHOULD FOCUS ON: JAB, HOOK, OVER-HAND. DON'T TRY TO HEAD HUNT A TALL GUY. THROW JABS AT CHEST WHILE APPLYING HEAD MOVEMENT(JAB DOESN'T HAVE TO LAND; JUST GAIN DISTANCE). HERE'S A CHANGE UP!!! BREAK TO YOUR LEAD SIDE AND THROW A LEAPING HOOK EVERY ONCE AND AGAIN(YOU CAN GO BODY HOOK TO HEAD HOOK OR FOLLOW IT W/ STRAIGHT RT). ALWAYS LOOK TO TIME HIS JAB AND COME OVER TOP WITH A OVER-HAND(BREAK TO YOUR LEAD SIDE WHEN THROWING OVER-HAND). IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO CUT THE RING AND NOT FOLLOW. IF YOU'RE GOING TO RUN SOME COMBO'S OFF; THROW AT CHEST AND BODY. THIS GAME PLAN MAKES A TALL FIGHTER EITHER USE HIS LEGS TOO MUCH OR TRY TO GO TOE TO TOE. THIS IS GOOD BECAUSE TALL FIGHTERS EXPOSE THEIR CHIN WHEN IN-FIGHTING.......

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

May I ask how you came to be a 5'7" heavyweight? Tyson is naturally of stocky thick build but a lot of boxers lift weights to gain strength and end up with opponents much taller than themselves. A good way to shorten his jab while getting in close: slip his jab so that it goes over your right shoulder, at the same time (it is the exact same motion)throm a straight right (emphasis on straight)to the heart. Doing that will make him begin to think twice about thejab. Also, stay low and to your right, enough to be off-center to make him reach with the right. when he jabs, drop your left out of the way slip his jab over your left shoulder simultaneously stepping in (push off that rear foot) and lift your left so that you are "jabbing from the hip" Very punishing counter esp. if he really steps with his jab. Off that same slip (no jab this time) shift your weight back to the left foot as you pivot to the right and throwing the right to his chin (this, my friends is a 'right cross', do the motion and see) Hard punch as all your weight will be behind it the same move also puts you in place for a right uppercut lefthook combination. From that same place, slightly off center to your right, keep your left low as you advance; you want to draw his right hand. (remember to lean to your right and alittle to the back) . Now he jabs, he'll be jabbing down; watch for a chance to land a right. He throws the right roll under and to the left (weight goes to the right foot to get you under, step over with left foot weight goes there, you follow it rght hook to bellyas you pas left hook etc... on the other side This is what Quawi did so well.Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im fat and stocky but i have hand speed.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That should be ok- remember to stay low and press him----but don't get within range. Make him punch get under it then inside. Always punch as you come in; you'll feel where as your weight goes from one foot to the other. If you are new to this I would suggest mastering the avoidance of the punch and that first counter- make sure that blow lands and does its damage. If you start off throwing "punches in bunches" you often end upnot landing any punches well and getting hit to boot. Remember these things; stay low, press but make him punch first (it is so much easier getting close that way), weight to the back foot a bit heavy( if your weight is forward you can't push off to get close quickly) Also eaning back a bit avoids uppercuts and you can see the right hand better,. Inside pull close left shoulder tight to his chest. Don'tsquare up unless you like eating uppercuts Again good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

May I ask how you came to be a 5'7" heavyweight?

I don't know about him, but I'm a 5'8" amateur heavyweight...I'm about 185lbs out of shape, and around 195lbs in shape. I'm just very "compact", as I like to put it.

I would like to say that that "popping up lead hook" works pretty well for me too, esp. when the taller guy is on the move in. Slip a punch down towards your lead, then pop up towards him with a vicious lead hook. Can be kinda risky, cuz you're pretty exposed, but If you're doing it right, you should be to the side of his effective punching range.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

as a flyweight is a 67.5 inch reach gd ?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think "Chiquita" Gonzalez had the same reach and he did pretty well for himself. A thought or two on the 'popping up lead hook; you can throw an uppercut off the same inside slip. Remember to slip the punch by the barest minimum and also, don't move your left glove or arm from its original position.In either case-hook or uppercut-you torque the punch with your hips, lifting your elbow to hook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The best way to fight a bigger oppontant is to knock him out. It always works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do like Tyson and bite his tall ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im a heavyweight like you guys, but im 5ft 11... im still short

youll find your going to be doomed if you ever try to compete. if you say your fat, but have hand speed, i suggest you shed some weight and move down some catagories, otherwise prepare for a very bumpy ride. the only reason i have survived is because of footwork and head movement.

get close, then their lanky bitch arems arent any good for them. wait for a jab, slip under and end the fight witha right uppercut, its worked twice for me now.

sure fire crowd pleaser too

Thread Information