Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Vark

Ok I haven't filled mine out yet but assuming it's not total crap I thought this might be worth sharing.

I found it in a link in a Uni electronic newsletter.

You take it to survey how you like to learn things and when I saw a section in it specifically targeting athletes I thought it might be of some use to other people here.

Enjoy

http://www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=advice
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Vark

My Results:

Visual: 10
    Aural: 5
    Read/Write: 4
    Kinesthetic: 7

Apparently I have a mild visual learning preference - damn no excuse to find learning boxing techniques difficult really! Theoretically I should just be able to copy other people!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your scores were:
    • Visual: 6
    • Aural: 7
    • Read/Write: 7
    • Kinesthetic: 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your scores were:
    • Visual: 5
    • Aural: 9
    • Read/Write: 10
    • Kinesthetic: 10
    You have a multimodal (VARK) learning preference

Don't really know what kinesthetic means though?
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Your scores were:
    • Visual: 5
    • Aural: 9
    • Read/Write: 10
    • Kinesthetic: 10
    You have a multimodal (VARK) learning preference

Don't really know what kinesthetic means though?
    Near as I can tell, is hands on. Learn by doing in reality situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That does seem pretty accurate to me, thanks for this sharla.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're welcome

I think mine is right too but i think I saw somewhere on the website that preference don't always mean strengths.

For someone who is meant to have a visual preference I really am not very observant and have trouble visualizing things. I do prefer diagrams to large hunks of text though.

Not completely sure of how to apply this to my training except to make my plans clearer and easier to visualize by putting them in a diagram rather than a list perhaps.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    You're welcome

I think mine is right too but i think I saw somewhere on the website that preference don't always mean strengths.

For someone who is meant to have a visual preference I really am not very observant and have trouble visualizing things. I do prefer diagrams to large hunks of text though.

Not completely sure of how to apply this to my training except to make my plans clearer and easier to visualize by putting them in a diagram rather than a list perhaps.
    I think it verified for me what I already knew. And in particular how it relates to the learning I seem to get the most from, which in boxing is sparring or say like padwork to introduce a new something before taking it to sparring.

Someone can tell me it all day and I tend to drift off, or even show me and once again I drift. But if I can be doing it, and they go..."Yea, that there...that it." Or if i'm doing something wrong can correct me in that right there and then physical environment. I just sorta assumed we all learn better this way...but likely not.

I can see where there would be a tendancy as it suggests for males to be more kinesthetic and females more aural...for it is no secret you are better listeners then us by virtue of wiring alone.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 07-08-2008 at 06:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I can see where there would be a tendancy as it suggests for males to be more kinesthetic and females more aural...for it is no secret you are better listeners then us by virtue of wiring alone.
    I think you're right here! Of course as you say it's a tendancy not a rule but in general I think it makes sense.

I have driven many a past coach nuts by wanting to talk too much about what I'm meant to be doing.

Their response was always "Don't talk just do it". I'm sure that works fine for most of their pupils which is why they found me so exasperating!

I didn't like it much either to be honest because often i didn't really understand what they wanted me to do to be able to 'just do it'.

Luckily my current coaches don't mind talking - still have to pity them with me sometimes though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha that does sound like you would be a handful, I'm pretty much the opposite, I want to hear (or in the forums case read) what to do once and then practise it. It's how I do my study for Uni read over the section once then do a heap of questions on what I just read. Does it differ for you Sharla when your studying?

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Haha that does sound like you would be a handful, I'm pretty much the opposite, I want to hear (or in the forums case read) what to do once and then practise it. It's how I do my study for Uni read over the section once then do a heap of questions on what I just read. Does it differ for you Sharla when your studying?
    I don't think I'm that different to you when studying actually but i have to add another step. I like to break down what I'm reading into doc points or flow charts or diagrams though and write/draw them up several times to get it into my head because otherwise I have a shocking memory.

My study now is a little different though since i'm doing more experimental stuff and don't have exams. Now I just have to try out a few set ups if I'm doing something new and read for background but I probably spend more time thinking about whether or not what I'm reading is relevant to what I'm doing than actually reading.

I'm not able to churn through as much text as I'd like any more because of how long it takes me to decide whether or not it's relevant and how I can get away with looking at it in my work.

Thread Information