Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
All sounds good - I think you've chosen a difficult season to expect your mum to stop giving you tasty treats though!

With the dumbell swings what direction do you swing in - is it to work your obliques or a sport specific movement?

Also is there a reason you are doing it with dumbells as opposed to bands?

I mean i think bands are likely to be less jarring on the joints although i'm not really sure of what kind of motion this is so perhaps they don't provide resistance where you need it?
Haha your telling me, I think i'll have to be extra good in the next few weeks to make up for christmas day. It's at our house this year and I love ham

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hk9z1YVcE

It's at 3.09 in, It's like an explosive deadlift while raising a dumbbell above your head. It's used a lot in kettlebell training and works many muscle groups at once, which is why I like it a lot. Plus as long as you have the technique correct and drive with your hips its a rather smooth motion.

I've never tried it with elastic at all but I don't think they would work very well with this movement, plus by adding weight you increase the intensity of the exercise and allows you to measure improvements. You could always substitute this for the one arm dumbbell snatch or maybe even pullups/burpee combo instead if you don't have weights. But just two exercises in there which will fatigue the whole body.