Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Salty's log

Alright guys gave up on the blog, this is way easier and I can do one every day. Anyways I'll give you an update of my situation, been out of action for a while due to niggling hamstring injury, just did my first complete tabata for long time which didn't involve me grabbing for my hamstring at some point, so I'm guessing it is all good. In this time I stacked on the weights focusing on upper body (mainly shoulders and upper back) and put on a few kilo's although have lost a bit of fat that I put on so right now I am at 74Kg's and never been this big. Basically when I come back from snowboarding I want to dominate the speed and improve my balance. I'll list what I find to be my current weaknesses based on bagwork today...

Things to improve upon...
    • Handspeed
    • Footwork (speed of movement)
    • Slipping/ bob and weaving
    • Balance
    Other
    • Improve lower back strength and overall core
    • Be able to walk on hands
    • Flexibility (comes with improved slipping)
    Ok now I'm trying to design a plan to work on all of these so here are excerises I have found in the past to improve each section.

Handspeed
    • Elastic rope to drag the hands out quicker
    • Shaddow Boxing with small weights alternating with no weights
    • Clap Pushups
    • Medicine ball throws
    Footwork
    • Skipping
    • Shadow Boxing
    • Cross drills (forward back left right then reverse)
    Slipping
    • Stretching Routine every day
    • Practising in front of mirror every day
    • Slip Bag
    • Incorporating it into heavy bag work
    • String and weeve underwards
    Balance
    • Elastic around the ancles when shadowboxing
    • Probably improve when i'm snowboarding
    • Purchase a wobble board (or make one)
    • Purchase a fitball
    Lower Back
    • Plank with variations
    • Superman
    • Deadlift
    • Slipping drills should improve this too
    If anyone has some ideas on ways to improve these few things, especially flexibility and balance that would be sweet. As right now I'm pretty lost on what stretches to do and different stretching techniques but also how to improve my boxing balance.

Oh and if anyone has any ways to improve the strength in my hamstrings i would greatly appreciate it, as I don't want to injure them again.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Salty's log

Heres a few articles on stretching:

Bodybuilding.com - Stretching And Flexibility Articles!

The Bruce Lee book, The Art of Expressing The Human Body, has a good section on stretching, but i cant seem to find a pdf version. You could also look into doing a few yoga positions. They could help with balance and flexibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok just got my copy of Infinite Intensity today by Ross Enamit and it is packed full of information and training tips. Really looking forward to doing the 50 day guide set out for me, but will have to buy some free weights first so might do that tomorrow morning or this afternoon if I can. But hell can't wait to get into this and get myself conditioned like never before (again :P), but this time without the injuries I hope. Anyways I'll let you all know how I go with it and the improvements I make thanks to this book.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok here's my routine, the gym is stopped being opened on friday's so I'm going monday, wednesday's and thursday's now.

Monday: Interval Training & Gym

Tuesday: Strength Workout/ Warrior Challenge & Finisher

Wednesday: GPP session & Gym

Thursday: Interval Training & Gym

Friday: Tabata & Finisher

Saturday: Strength Workout/ Warrior Challenge & Finisher

Sunday: Rest
    • Each week swap each conditioning and Boxing set to a different one to avoid adaptation.
    • Core workouts are done Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (do them at gym as well)
    • Stay active on rest day, but don’t do too much, need body to recover.
    • All rest should be active rest (walking/jogging)
    • Every 4th week settle down on the strength workout
    • Exercise on gym days are done in the morning before uni.
    Don't really want to post the actual workouts I'm doing on here as they are from the book. Although I'll say they are much different to the strength exercises I am used to doing. A lot less it seems, but really intense so I'm liking it a lot so far. Did a bit of sparring last night, first time in a while. I have to clean up my diet, I got lazy and started eating shit like cookies which pushed my weight up a bit. However I can see it coming off already. Another thing is that I have dropped long road work completely from my routine, instead doing intervals and the warrior challenges/GPP sessions provide more than enough conditioning activities for my body.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sparring went well today, but everything is still going fast in there. Kind of annoying, need to get the rust out big time. One of the blokes has a fight this friday so we were sparring him, we both got each other with good left hooks to the body, but need to make sure I keep that elbow digged in. I don't want to have to take a knee in sparring.

Also I have noticed myself closing my eyes, this pisses me off as I never used too. Have been close to eating a few rights and hooks because of it. But glad to get back in there, fitness is picking up dramatically. I feel fresh, strong and quick and punches seem to have a bit of power behind them. Now just need to get the skill back, which I guess only sparring and shadow boxing will do for me. Anyways I have a long time till I fight (next year) so don't have to lose weight any time soon and instead focus on getting better. I love starting a new program, gives you something to aim for

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This week sparring was so much better, was seeing punches coming and parrying/slipping and countering. So i'm glad it's coming back to me, fitness is coming along nicely as well. Following the plan I set out for myself, but sometimes drop the stuff in the mornings of training days as we do an hour's circuit at the gym anyways. Don't want to do too much too soon, but the strength work seems to be working nicely as well as the conditioning. Going to do some intervals today instead of Tabata's as I did them yesterday as I didn't have much time. Going to time myself on the first 400m interval to see how I compare to when I did little athletics. I think my best time when I was 14 was around 1.02 mins, so should hopefully beat that comfortably when I go to the track

Hidden Content

Thread Information