Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Salty's log

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    All sounds good - I think you've chosen a difficult season to expect your mum to stop giving you tasty treats though!

With the dumbell swings what direction do you swing in - is it to work your obliques or a sport specific movement?

Also is there a reason you are doing it with dumbells as opposed to bands?

I mean i think bands are likely to be less jarring on the joints although i'm not really sure of what kind of motion this is so perhaps they don't provide resistance where you need it?
    Haha your telling me, I think i'll have to be extra good in the next few weeks to make up for christmas day. It's at our house this year and I love ham

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hk9z1YVcE

It's at 3.09 in, It's like an explosive deadlift while raising a dumbbell above your head. It's used a lot in kettlebell training and works many muscle groups at once, which is why I like it a lot. Plus as long as you have the technique correct and drive with your hips its a rather smooth motion.

I've never tried it with elastic at all but I don't think they would work very well with this movement, plus by adding weight you increase the intensity of the exercise and allows you to measure improvements. You could always substitute this for the one arm dumbbell snatch or maybe even pullups/burpee combo instead if you don't have weights. But just two exercises in there which will fatigue the whole body.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That vid is just INSANE!

Thanks for posting it Salty - i found the website it came from and i suspect I will have fun digging through it a bit and report back on what I find useful.

I don't exactly imagine myself pushing any big 4 wheel drives or doing half of the stuff on the vid but there is a lot af creative stuff in there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That vid is just INSANE!

Thanks for posting it Salty - i found the website it came from and i suspect I will have fun digging through it a bit and report back on what I find useful.

I don't exactly imagine myself pushing any big 4 wheel drives or doing half of the stuff on the vid but there is a lot af creative stuff in there!
    Yeah the guy is legendary, I have his book infinite intensity and it is just that. Try out some of his routines on there, it will change the way you train, I know it has for me

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alright guys, christmas time is coming up the gym is away on break so I have been keeping up the fitness. This week was all about intervals for me.

Monday I worked pretty late but fitted in a small routine of conditioning and abs, pretty decent.

Tuesday was the first set of intervals, 250m with 30 seconds rest along the beach. The wind was horrible one way I got sand blasted for about 100m of my journey and nearly ran straight into a woman as she walked past me haha. But I toughed it out and did 8 of those so 2km isn't too bad at that pace.

Wednesday was the gym, tough session and i'm still a bit sore from it.

Tonight I hit the intervals again, this time on the running track, 200m with 30 seconds rest, did that 6 times. Then did 8 50m sprints with 10 seconds rest between sprints. Since my shoulders were sore when I got back decided to do an ab circuit then showered up and enjoyed some dinner.

Tomorrow I'll be working again, could be a 12 hour day again which hurts me, but I need the money, either way I'll try fit something in, probably scrap's thing with an ab ciruit as I'm usually pretty dead after those long days working.

After christmas hopefully be starting a new regime which has a lot more structure and forward thinking behind it, but we shall see how we go.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well this week's training has been non-existant pretty much, this is not from laziness but a bloody pinched nerve/ buggered up lower back which just wont go away it seems. So I tried keeping my diet in check until christmas day, then I splurged on ham, chicken, gravy, roast veggies, it was delicious

Hopefully I'll do a good workout tomorrow before a music festival I'm going to, tonight I just hope i'll be able to sleep without the aid of mersyndol

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you been doing that little thing I talked about Salty if so Ill add the good bit.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    That vid is just INSANE!

Yeah the guy is legendary, I have his book infinite intensity and it is just that. Try out some of his routines on there, it will change the way you train, I know it has for me
    Im thinking about getting Infinite Intensity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Have you been doing that little thing I talked about Salty if so Ill add the good bit.
    Sure have Scrap, been doing it religiously, has gotten a lot easier. Sorry I haven't checked this in a while.

One thing which has been annoying me lately is that the days after a running session my lower back is extremely tight. It almost feels like I re-pinch the nerve everytime, now this is extremely frustrating and not sure what could be causing it? Poor running style is the only thing I can think of other than a possible hotspot (stress fracture developing). Last week it got pretty bad and was noticably swollen, so u rested it and it went away pretty quickly. I want to keep up 3 or 4 running sessions a weeks though, which at the moment is impossible to do I seem to get all the luck.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you do any stretches for your lower back Salty? I'd recommend it. Lot's of stretching! I also find it hard to maintain many running sessions but upping my stretching and cross training with swims has helped.

Just now I'm starting to do some long intense walks and I notice my legs fatigue considerably but using different muscles - less quads, much more of everything else including the smaller muscles.

My theory at the moment is that perhaps I over-use my quads when I run and this will help because it will develop other muscles in my legs to a healthier level.

I think people were built to walk a lot more than often do and perhaps without that walking base it's easy to develop damaging running form. Quad tightness is associated with both lower back and knee pain.

Even if they don't get tight from fatigue perhaps they can over-develop compared to other muscles and cause an imbalance which is prone to putting stress on everything else?!?!

I tend to think hamstrings and most muscles in your legs and hips will get tight if the smallest thing is out of whack because of their compensation effect and the impact of running.

I'm hoping that more intense, long walks will reduce the tightness I tend to get in my lower back. I'll let you know how it goes since you sound like you have a similar problem!

I do think you will be able to mange it though - it might take a while to find the stretches which are going to be most effective for you and I know it's frustrating but I think you have the smarts to work it out and work up to the amount of running you want to do!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Do you do any stretches for your lower back Salty? I'd recommend it. Lot's of stretching! I also find it hard to maintain many running sessions but upping my stretching and cross training with swims has helped.

Just now I'm starting to do some long intense walks and I notice my legs fatigue considerably but using different muscles - less quads, much more of everything else including the smaller muscles.

My theory at the moment is that perhaps I over-use my quads when I run and this will help because it will develop other muscles in my legs to a healthier level.

I think people were built to walk a lot more than often do and perhaps without that walking base it's easy to develop damaging running form. Quad tightness is associated with both lower back and knee pain.

Even if they don't get tight from fatigue perhaps they can over-develop compared to other muscles and cause an imbalance which is prone to putting stress on everything else?!?!

I tend to think hamstrings and most muscles in your legs and hips will get tight if the smallest thing is out of whack because of their compensation effect and the impact of running.

I'm hoping that more intense, long walks will reduce the tightness I tend to get in my lower back. I'll let you know how it goes since you sound like you have a similar problem!

I do think you will be able to mange it though - it might take a while to find the stretches which are going to be most effective for you and I know it's frustrating but I think you have the smarts to work it out and work up to the amount of running you want to do!
    Thanks very much for the input sharla, I have found the source of my problem, it may very well be my legs out of whack as I do tend to do a lot of quad work (mainly burpees). But I pretty much always used to be on saddos/internet just before I went for runs or my workouts. I then realised that the chair I was using pretty much put me in a very awkward position. So basically I changed chairs and the pain dissappeared. I feel like quite the idiot though, I'm checking out a new gym on saturday so hopefully its good

I also volunteered to be a guinea pig for uni for someones masters degree on the impact of various carbs for post workout nutrition. SO hopefully i'll be able to get some data of my own blood lactate and fat oxidisation after workouts at various intensities, should be rather interesting

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could the burpees be bothering your back?? Ive noticed that after i do them (not right after but at work that night and a few days after) i seem to have a sore back. I dont know if its coincidence though cuz i lift boxes at work so that could be it too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    Could the burpees be bothering your back?? Ive noticed that after i do them (not right after but at work that night and a few days after) i seem to have a sore back. I dont know if its coincidence though cuz i lift boxes at work so that could be it too.
    I don't think so, but I usually do my run after abs (a lot of plank and rollouts) and burpees so that could very well play a part. I did some VO2 max test yesterday involving me riding a bike for 3 mins at a time at different watts, increasing 30 watts every section after a minutes break between section, can't wait till I get my results back. I also get a free body composition thing in a couple of weeks time so looking forward to exact figure Now i'll just have to volunteer for another one of these in a few months to see if I have improved.

Hidden Content

Thread Information