Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Help Getting Stronger

OK, I realize this isn't exactly boxing related but whatever.

OK, so I just recently graduated from high school. I'm going out for the basketball team and I feel I need to add some weight. I'm not big, 6'1 150 lbs. I don't have much fat on me at all, that was my first goal was to get as trim as possible and I think I have done that. Earlier this year I started running regularly again, cut down on most of the extra cirricular stuff and started eating and drinking much healthier.

I didn't really have a program to do this, it just involved running whenever I felt like it and just tried to be as active as possible. Right now I'm probably in my best shape I've ever been in. I can go out and run the court for 3 hours at a time with really no problem at all. That's something I've never been able to do before.

But I'm a fairly wiry guy. 6'1 150 lbs and that fluctuates, sometimes I step on the scale and I'm 145 pounds sometimes I'm 10 lbsmore then that. But I don't have a whole lot of muscle on me, I want to be able to play the point in the post I have really been working on getting my game with my back to the basket improved but that is definitely my weakness as the bigger guys are having their way with me in the post.

So I need to bulk up. Not much, I just want to build some muscle so I'm not so wiry. I wish I had some pictures but I don't, but you can see my profile picture if that helps at all. I've made repeated attempts in the past at building muscle but it's just never worked out. My brother had virtually the same body type as my all throughout high school and then bulked up after high school pretty huge with the help of creatine. But I don't really want a whole lot of muscle mass, just want to get stronger.

The problem is I don't have any access to any sort of gym right now. I do have a set of dumbells and medicine balls and all the time in the world, but that's about it right now. I will in September when I start school and can use the school gym but I was wondering if there was any way using bodyweight excercises or something that I could help build strength?

Post kind of made in haste any questions please ask. Thank you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Help Getting Stronger

Hi Amat,
    Welcome to the ATT board man.

In seeking to build strength, bodyweight exercises are one of the finest tools that you can employ....
    Check out this thread, with some great suggestions from Salty amongst others.
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...xcercises.html

Squatting may be an excellent methos of improving overall strength.
    It will certainly aid your explosive power and perhaps by solidifying the calves with raises/seated raises you can maximise the strength of your legs.

Also, take a glance at they description of whey protein in this thread;
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...ictionary.html

Good Luck.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also I'm looking into a new system of training I believe to be ideal for basketball and boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've got a complete jump improving workout for 3x a week, defently works as I was able to dunk the ball at 5"11. Will search for it mate and post it here if I can find it for you, you will notice results within two weeks easy.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I've got a complete jump improving workout for 3x a week, defently works as I was able to dunk the ball at 5"11. Will search for it mate and post it here if I can find it for you, you will notice results within two weeks easy.
    That would be cool. I can dunk off and on but a couple inches would be nice. My biggest problem is palming the ball.

Thank you all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    That would be cool. I can dunk off and on but a couple inches would be nice. My biggest problem is palming the ball.

Thank you all.
    It improved my leap by over 6 inches in six weeks so you'll be getting a lot more height . You'd be able to do two handers then. Still looking mate know I hve somewhere in my room.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok here it is, follow this program and you will be on your way, some people have claimed to increase there jump by over 10 inches with this in two months... Do this twice a week and no more as injuries may result.

Skip the length of a bball court 6 times

Jump Rope for 10 mins

Keep legs straight and jump 75 time (3 sets), increase the number of jumps by 50 each week.

Sit up against the wall and use arms to lift your bottom off the floor (try to use legs, you should be able to), hold for 1 min (3 sets). Increase by 10 seconds a week. (your back is firm against the wall, legs out 90 degrees to wall and bent at knees at 90 degrees again try not to use arms as that's just cheating yourself)

Do calf raisers, first do one leg, then the other leg, then back to the first and then second leg. Next do two legged calf raisers. All that is one set, do 25 a leg and 50 for both. Do 3 sets and increase by 5 a week.

Jump on the spot as high as possible (land and jump straight away), do 50 then raise it by 25 each week. Do 3-5 sets.

End of program, do it twice a week with as much break as possible and don't do too much leg work on the day following and the first couple of weeks you are going to be sore. However that goes and you will have hops like never before. Enjoy buddy

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK cool, thank you. One question though, keep your legs straight and jump? Does that mean to just jump flatfooted? And not to bend your knees? That's pretty hard and gets me very little lift but I can see how it helps the calves. Also should I be bouncing or should I be resetting my feet every time? This was the easiest part of the workout for me so I'm just seeing if I'm doing it right thanks. and man, I haven't done wall sits in a long time. damn by the 3rd set my legs literally felt like spaghetti noodles.

Also I've been suggested whey protein before I might take a trip to GNC to grab some.
    Last edited by amat; 07-10-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A nice one, get a fit ball put it behind you against a wall the centre of your back near the bottom of your back. Put your feet 9ins in front of you with your toes on a bit of 3x2 wood so the heels are lower than the toes by 2ins. Now drop the knees an inch every 10 secs until you reach the sitting position then come up using the same technique 5 times. The 3x2 is important it protects your cruciats its a nice one . Or use a skate board instead of the Ball.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thought I lost this thread, was in the training logs

Anyways, am a week through. Really enjoying it so far though I've added tabata squats at the end of it all to get my heart rate going since I've pretty much done off with all running after realizing how sore I was.

Definitely going to stick with this for all six weeks, still looking for an upper body program kind of been making stuff up as I go along.

Scrap I'll give what you said a try if I got it right, I'm pretty sure I've done something similar before but in one smooth motion not in inches, will give it a go one of these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember to eat lots of protein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    OK cool, thank you. One question though, keep your legs straight and jump? Does that mean to just jump flatfooted? And not to bend your knees? That's pretty hard and gets me very little lift but I can see how it helps the calves. Also should I be bouncing or should I be resetting my feet every time? This was the easiest part of the workout for me so I'm just seeing if I'm doing it right thanks. and man, I haven't done wall sits in a long time. damn by the 3rd set my legs literally felt like spaghetti noodles.

Also I've been suggested whey protein before I might take a trip to GNC to grab some.
    Yeah sort of like skipping you want your calves doing all the work here in both absorbing and powering your jump. Let us know how it's going for you, I think I might get this started again

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh man I'm loving it Salty. Really am. I hadn't been as sore I was in my legs then I was after the first week in a very long while. It really through my shot off as I shoot absolute shit sore because I just can't get timing down but I'm not so sore anymore. Those wall sits are still the kicker though. I think it's because I was looking at the timer as I did them and watching clocks sucks. I've started taking my notebook to the wall sits and reading random things just to take my mind off the clock and it's proven to be really relaxing. Forgot how valuable wall sits can really be. It's always smooth sailing until there. Also, I realized that in all my time working out, I've never been doing calf raisers right. I've always just gone from flat foot to on my toes, never went beneath the bar. Been using a block of wood and been doing them correctly by dipping below thus have sore calves for the first time in a long while. Those also have been very tough.

I wish I had tested my vertical right before this. I don't know how high my vertical was before, I think it was like 27' inches like 3 years ago but to be honest that could be way off as I simply don't remember. But I definitely anticipate the results of this. I have noticed that I've been getting a little more unintentional lift on my jumpshot which has also thrown me off a bit but I have been experimenting a higher release to a lower release to take advantage of that but that's a work in progress to say the least.

Really love it and have recommended it to several others, thanks Salty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ohh it is intense, Just started it today to get some good leg conditioning in while its raining. But wall sits are god like, we used to do them all the time in training alternating with footfire. I would be sore for days after those sessions, might have to get back into basketball, starting to miss it. Oh and with your shot, you have to relax to no end on it now, as like you said it gets put off a bit and you start clutching at it. But your drives will be getting sweet you can just jump and hang mid air soon enough

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Once upon a time, not to long ago, my driving ability was my best part of my game. It still is to an extent but I used to be purely a guy that drives the lane, literally all I did. I think that's due to my footwork inside as I have been able to perfect that Lebron James step over pivet once I get to the paint. But I've always needed a step or two of speraration in order to get going. Well now most of the people at the courts are playing right on my body at the perimeter so when I'm on the ball it's hard to gain that separation so I was looking for more explosion in my first step and I've already noticed that I indeed can pick up faster now. Not to brag but if I can get that first step then I'm a pretty good bet to make something happen because that's my strong suit. So for that alone I'm already fairly satisfiied.

Thread Information