Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did visiting mcclellan ruin Roy Jones Jr??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Did visiting mcclellan ruin Roy Jones Jr??

The most dominant boxer of the last 10-20 years seemed to almost go into his shell after meeting gerald and never quite recovered.

It was almost as if roy had a sudden realisation and had a fear of getting hurt.

Just off the back of rewatching that 3rd tarver fight and it was almost as if RJJ just didnt wanna fight anymore and had lost that desire to be champ.
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did visiting mcclellan ruin Roy Jones Jr??

I believe he has said he will not go looking for the KO unless he has to. Against Tito he certainly held back and coasted when he could have finished the fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McClellan has nothing to do with Roy losing. Roy lost because he got KTFO in those 2 fights with Tarver and Johnson and knocked around the ring like a rag doll in the 3rd, plain and simple.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    The most dominant boxer of the last 10-20 years seemed to almost go into his shell after meeting gerald and never quite recovered.

It was almost as if roy had a sudden realisation and had a fear of getting hurt.

Just off the back of rewatching that 3rd tarver fight and it was almost as if RJJ just didnt wanna fight anymore and had lost that desire to be champ.
    I don't think he was worried about his own well being too much but he certainly doesn't go out to hurt people the way he used to. I think he's suffering in the same way chris eubank did after the 2nd Watson fight when he seriously hurt him. Eubank from that fight on would not go for the kill when he had a fighter hurt and it cost him in the end. Roy has admitted that he will not hurt anyone unless he has to anymore but at the same time I don't blame that for his defeats to Tarver and Johnson I think he just took too much on moving up to heavyweight and then shedding all that muscle again to make Light Heavy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

I don't think he was worried about his own well being too much but he certainly doesn't go out to hurt people the way he used to. I think he's suffering in the same way chris eubank did after the 2nd Watson fight when he seriously hurt him. Eubank from that fight on would not go for the kill when he had a fighter hurt and it cost him in the end. Roy has admitted that he will not hurt anyone unless he has to anymore but at the same time I don't blame that for his defeats to Tarver and Johnson I think he just took too much on moving up to heavyweight and then shedding all that muscle again to make Light Heavy.

Boxers are programmed from an early age to not feel great compassion towards a fellow opponent when in the ring.

I really just do not buy the whole RJJ got sick of beating guys up theory as it has many flaws. Do you honestly believe RJJ went into that 3rd tarver fight not wanting to seriously hurt his opponent regardless of the fact both antonio and johnson had knocked him spark out in recent fights??

What RJJ did for gerald was great and all and im sure it meant a hell of a lot to mcclellan. But i honestly believe it changed RJJs outlook on boxing.
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After his ko loses he is more gunshy, nothing to do with McClellan imo. Like most all fighters after getting kod his mindset is a little more safety first.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post

Boxers are programmed from an early age to not feel great compassion towards a fellow opponent when in the ring.

I really just do not buy the whole RJJ got sick of beating guys up theory as it has many flaws. Do you honestly believe RJJ went into that 3rd tarver fight not wanting to seriously hurt his opponent regardless of the fact both antonio and johnson had knocked him spark out in recent fights??

What RJJ did for gerald was great and all and im sure it meant a hell of a lot to mcclellan. But i honestly believe it changed RJJs outlook on boxing.
    NO! I've already said that I blame these losses on the fact that he lost all that muscle in such a short period of time. What i'm trying to say is Roy certainly isn't punching people with the intent he used to and if it was his own well being he was worried about he simply wouldn't be fighting anymore especially at the age of 39. I do though expect some of that old power punching from Roy to rear its ugly head against Joe as there are so many people writing him off.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones went on to be one of the greatest boxers ever so I dont think he was ruined by it .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can assure you that had nothing to do with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by match View Post
    McClellan has nothing to do with Roy losing. Roy lost because he got KTFO in those 2 fights with Tarver and Johnson and knocked around the ring like a rag doll in the 3rd, plain and simple.
    Only Glen Johnson knocked Roy around ,and only because Roy didn't keep his hands up when he was on the ropes. Against Tarver in the third fight neither of them were really fighting nor did they land a whole lot, Tarver hurt Roy once, but besides that it was a boring fight.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My man,
    I bet you have NO idea that the G-Man was hurt prior to the Benn fight.

G-Man was already hurt and going through things by the time he faced Benn. It was always rumored that DK then G-Man promoter did an inside job and new G-Man was hurt but still had him fighting. Again this was all rumors until Tarick Salmici a once sparring partner and stable mate of G-Man did an interview and just let it all out from over hearing a conversation between DK and members of his team to sparring with G-Man and noticing G-Man blinking rapidly and acting strange.

If you knew the history behind this whole story you would know that RJJs visit to the G-Man was just him being a friend and I too believe it did not scare RJJ and even more so RUIN, RJJ.

I mean if that was the case RJJ would have never fought on past Art Serwano whom after RJJ lands a sick right hand to the head leaves Art on the floor in a minor seizure with his eyes rolling and body shaking/cringing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    My man,

G-Man was already hurt and going through things by the time he faced Benn. It was always rumored that DK then G-Man promoter did an inside job and new G-Man was hurt but still had him fighting. Again this was all rumors until Tarick Salmici a once sparring partner and stable mate of G-Man did an interview and just let it all out from over hearing a conversation between DK and members of his team to sparring with G-Man and noticing G-Man blinking rapidly and acting strange.

If you knew the history behind this whole story you would know that RJJs visit to the G-Man was just him being a friend and I too believe it did not scare RJJ and even more so RUIN, RJJ.

I mean if that was the case RJJ would have never fought on past Art Serwano whom after RJJ lands a sick right hand to the head leaves Art on the floor in a minor seizure with his eyes rolling and body shaking/cringing.
    Every fighter who has ever lost a big fight has some behind the scenes drama and exuses made for him. I doubt it was relevent at all.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    My man,

Every fighter who has ever lost a big fight has some behind the scenes drama and exuses made for him. I doubt it was relevent at all.
    Bilbs, have you read the interview?
    The one with Salmici where he talks about everything I typed.
    About Salmici over hearing a phone conversation with DK and his people about G-Mans condition at that time.
    Salmici after hearing this packed his bags and asked to be released from DK because of what he had witnessed.
    DK released him after that.
    I would strongly suggest you get the full scoop on G-Man and his story.

I get what your saying here Bilbo, but this ain't like G-Man went onto fight after that and he made this an excuse. It's reality and if you can't see that then your fucken blind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It does appear that way because Jones just doesn't seem to want to finish opponents. He would much rather go the distance.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What mess up Roy Jones Jr was the fact that he got destroyed by Taver then beat around by Johnson thats what got him. Getting beat like that can really humble a guy and make him think not a god anymore that is why he is not the killer he used to be.

Thread Information