Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How good is Gary Russell Jr.?

There is nothing really with him on youtube, and I am curious about how good he is, he qualified for the olympic team and he's 20, but is he as good as Warren? I know he is fast, but how powerful is he?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How good is Gary Russell Jr.?

As for my take on Russell, obviously he's not as good as Warren who really imo is a complete freak. Warren is a pretty good bet for at least a medal and probably gold if things fall into place.

For Russell the road is a lot harder simply because of the division.

The Russian Sergei Vodpyanov is the gold medal favorite and for good reason, he won Gold at the World Championships in Chicago last year and really took it to Russell, beating him by 10 points. He is a tall southpaw, has faster feet and overall better footwork then Russell and everyone else in the division, and his arms are so long that it's hard to miss any shots he lands which gives him an advantage in international competition.

A very tough division also features McJoe Arroyo who Macho can tell you more about then me, Yankiel Leon from Cuba who I haven't seen fight but he was the last guy to beat Gamboa, a lot is expected of him and he has a lot of hype going into these games.

Not to mention their is a Thai fighter who is ranked 2 in the division and Uugan from Mongolia who gave Sergei a very tough fight in the Gold medal match for a few rounds and even knocked him down.

So while I was initially high on his medal chances, more I watched the more I realize it's an uphill battle.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As for Russell's prospects as a pro.

Um, obviously he has the things you would look for as a pro. He does have power, speed and he seems to like to mix it up. But like a lot of top amateurs he has some terrible habits that will need changing as soon as he steps up. First is that fairly ridiculous habit of keeping his right hand all the way at his hip and using the left as the lead hand. It's a good left hand, but obviously he needs to pick that right up and try to develop a jab. He does have a jab he just doesn't use it. Vodpyanov was able to exploit this as he negated Russel's southpaw advantage and was able to find the mark with his right hand.

So obviously, he needs to change things up but once the head gear comes off I imagine the right will come up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I could see Warren getting away with that right hand by his hip because he is so fast, and sharp, but I am not sure about Gary, he isn't quite as fast from what I see. Thank you very much for responding, do you know if Warren is going pro?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sure he will go pro, this is already his second Olympics and obviously he is going to attract all kinds of interest but right now the team is in seclusion in Colorado Springs the only real news has been from the Luis Yanez controversy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One more thing, its hard to gauge Russel's speed from those videos. So how does it truly compare to Warren's? In what ways is Warren better than Russel, and is there any way in which Gary is better than Rau'Shee? The fight I gauged Gary's speed by, the only clearly footage ended up, him being 15 so thats not fair in comparison to Warren.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those first two videos aren't of Gary Russell Jr- they're of his little brother, also named Gary Russell but known as "Alan" by his middle name.

The third video is of Gary Russell Jr. Not sure who is in the last video.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sfboxingfan View Post
    Those first two videos aren't of Gary Russell Jr- they're of his little brother, also named Gary Russell but known as "Alan" by his middle name.

The third video is of Gary Russell Jr. Not sure who is in the last video.
    I didn't watch the first two videos. But unless they fight literally exactly the same, the last two are Gary Russell for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    There is nothing really with him on youtube, and I am curious about how good he is, he qualified for the olympic team and he's 20, but is he as good as Warren? I know he is fast, but how powerful is he?
    The vids below are not all Gary at all. Here are some more recent vids:

Sparring in June in Argentina:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG6NlHKUUQM

2nd bout vs. Roberto Marroquin in 2007 Olympic Trials:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6njoG_31N0

He is just as fast as Warren, but tends to really be a thinker (which sometimes takes off from speed) and definitely hits harder. His punch was measured (at Olympic Training Ctr) as the 3rd highest when tested. He has also gotten the better of Raushee when sparring, but he is bigger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DC Amateur Boxing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    The vids below are not all Gary at all. Here are some more recent vids:

Sparring in June in Argentina:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG6NlHKUUQM
    2nd bout vs. Roberto Marroquin in 2007 Olympic Trials:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6njoG_31N0
    He is just as fast as Warren, but tends to really be a thinker (which sometimes takes off from speed) and definitely hits harder. His punch was measured (at Olympic Training Ctr) as the 3rd highest when tested. He has also gotten the better of Raushee when sparring, but he is bigger.
    Not related to the subject at all, but welcome! If you have any affiliation with the Youtube-poster of the same name - well, this would be a good chance to say thanks for that fountain of videos out there. So thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel_K View Post

Not related to the subject at all, but welcome! If you have any affiliation with the Youtube-poster of the same name - well, this would be a good chance to say thanks for that fountain of videos out there. So thanks.
    Thanks! That's me too. I'm glad you are enjoying them. I just wanted to throw some more recent vids up on Gary. He's been dealing with a lot of hand problems which has limited his competitions in recent months, but he's ready now and so is Raushee. I can't wait for the Games to begin. BTW, I will be going to the Ringside Worlds next week and will put up some of those and the Under-19 Championships as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks! That's me too. I'm glad you are enjoying them. I just wanted to throw some more recent vids up on Gary. He's been dealing with a lot of hand problems which has limited his competitions in recent months, but he's ready now and so is Raushee. I can't wait for the Games to begin. BTW, I will be going to the Ringside Worlds next week and will put up some of those and the Under-19 Championships as well.
    Cool! Looking forwafd to them!

I've been trying to do an Olympic preview (but seriously overestimated the amount of free time in the past weeks, so still hasnt finished it), and has - again - made great use of your vids: http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...pics-08-a.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been trying to do an Olympic preview (but seriously overestimated the amount of free time in the past weeks, so still hasnt finished it), and has - again - made great use of your vids: http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingfor...pics-08-a.html
    Very nice post. Feel free to link to any of my vids. I have to warn you though, when it comes to the Russell's, it may be confusing (you have some vids that are not Gary Jr. who is on the Olympic Team, but his brother Gary III or Alan). There are 5 (yes 5!!) Russell brothers that box from age 7 to 19 not including Gary Jr. and guess what. . . they are ALL named Gary. "Alan" is the second oldest now and looking at 2012, but even the little ones can go. "Alan" will be at the Under-19 in the 141lbs. division, so I will make sure to add his vids.

Here's the second youngest, 11 year old Gary "Antwan" in action in the 80lbs division of the East Coast Regional Silver Gloves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU8zm11KkE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very nice post. Feel free to link to any of my vids. I have to warn you though, when it comes to the Russell's, it may be confusing (you have some vids that are not Gary Jr. who is on the Olympic Team, but his brother Gary III or Alan). There are 5 (yes 5!!) Russell brothers that box from age 7 to 19 not including Gary Jr. and guess what. . . they are ALL named Gary. "Alan" is the second oldest now and looking at 2012, but even the little ones can go. "Alan" will be at the Under-19 in the 141lbs. division, so I will make sure to add his vids.

Here's the second youngest, 11 year old Gary "Antwan" in action in the 80lbs division of the East Coast Regional Silver Gloves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU8zm11KkE

I read an article about the youngest son being a complete freak, and that he already fights guys 3-4 years older than him, and he can hold his own against Antwan even though he is 3 years younger and 20 pounds lighter.

Thread Information