Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Coxxyx

Coincidence Don, a correct angled Coxxyx keeps you level Headed and one of those thinks clearer its awareness levels are sharper and movement exact.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

stop me if Ive told you this before ,no dont.

Years ago a new bouncer /door man got a hold of a local in the bar who refused to leave and was just giving cheek; He got him outside and gave him a bit of a beating to be gettingon with. Was in the Elsternwick hotel over here, there is a nice golf course just over the road.
    The local thought I cant fight for nuts but fuk can I swing a club . So he got a no 1 wood and broke the thugs coxic off as he bent over to get in his car later that night.

Maybe golf is a sport .
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    stop me if Ive told you this before ,no dont.

Years ago a new bouncer /door man got a hold of a local in the bar who refused to leave and was just giving cheek; He got him outside and gave him a bit of a beating to be gettingon with. Was in the Elsternwick hotel over here, there is a nice golf course just over the road.
    The local thought I cant fight for nuts but fuk can I swing a club . So he got a no 1 wood and broke the thugs coxic off as he bent over to get in his car later that night.

Maybe golf is a sport .
    It might very well be, all it needs is competition, two guys outdoing each other by trying to beat the coccyx off of the other guy. Call the Olympics commitee.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Psoas muscle can be stretched in a matter of weeks Sharla and is a major player in this as regards posture. I promised you a stretch but things have made it difficult, Ive been up to my eyes in something Ill do it this week

Thanks Scrap

That'll be awesome. I don't want to over-work you though so if you don't get a chance to do it I can wait.

The last search i did on psoas stretching was a while ago

I should really go back and see if there's anything I've missed and perhaps video myself doing the stretches I have to make sure I'm doing them properly before I pester you!

Andre - that story - ouch!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    Psoas muscle can be stretched in a matter of weeks Sharla and is a major player in this as regards posture. I promised you a stretch but things have made it difficult, Ive been up to my eyes in something Ill do it this week

Thanks Scrap

That'll be awesome. I don't want to over-work you though so if you don't get a chance to do it I can wait.

I should really go back and see if there's anything I've missed and perhaps video myself doing the stretches I have to make sure I'm doing them properly before I pester you!

If I'm not too busy I like to google anything to see if it correlates with what Scrap tells us.

There's a few stretches for the psoas muscle, one that you are familiar with from running, and another that I haven't tried before. Psoas Stretch
    Psoas Hip Flexor Muscle Stretch

It's nice, but I'd like to see what Scrap has.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The feet should be the same distance from the Coxxyx. From there we can go anywhere in Balace,and keep good form to execute the next movement without to much effort and every joint will work as it should Biomechanicaly without having to correct itself, you can explode or evade
    what about in my case where my left leg is 18" shorter than my right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post

Thanks Scrap

If I'm not too busy I like to google anything to see if it correlates with what Scrap tells us.

There's a few stretches for the psoas muscle, one that you are familiar with from running, and another that I haven't tried before. Psoas Stretch
    Psoas Hip Flexor Muscle Stretch

It's nice, but I'd like to see what Scrap has.
    Awesome thanks Chris! I've only looked at the first site so far but I haven't seen it before and it looks good so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post
    The feet should be the same distance from the Coxxyx. From there we can go anywhere in Balace,and keep good form to execute the next movement without to much effort and every joint will work as it should Biomechanicaly without having to correct itself, you can explode or evade
    what about in my case where my left leg is 18" shorter than my right?
    Interesting Q. I think this is a pretty common problem. A friend of mine has one leg longer than the other. My legs are the same length but I have one foot half a size bigger than the other.

I wonder what that actually does to my boxing stance? Something to think about anyway!
    Last edited by Sharla; 07-18-2008 at 01:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i walk at a 45degree angle. i look like the leaning tower of pepperoni pizza

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post
    i walk at a 45degree angle. i look like the leaning tower of pepperoni pizza
    Do you do any stretches or hang on a bar etc to aleviate that?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If the Head is over 15 degrees past the Horizontal plain of the Coxxyx nothing works as it should and you are on your front foot. Not the best place to be when theres something coming the other way and being constricted..

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A wonderfull piece of your Anatomy where its situated in relation to the feet and headis everything in regards to punching and avoiding one, your thoughts.
    Hi Scrap (and all)

This is my first post on the forum, so let me start by saying I love this place, very informative forum with a lot of interesting discussion. I'm not a boxer, I practice a chinese/s.e.asian martial art, but I hope to start at a boxing gym in the near future (I have the greatest respect for boxing in the world)...

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in that within the context of chinese martial arts, there is a very direct relationship between the coccyx, the perineum, and the head (and the hips). One of the skills we work on is being able to tell when someone does not have the coccyx oriented properly, and then taking advantage of it.

It's really interesting to hear that this focus exists in boxing as well. I've always thought of the coccyx being off as being the reason why it's easy to pull or throw an opponent, but now that you say it, I can see how it could be used for punching as well...

Great stuff!

-Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by benfish View Post
    A wonderfull piece of your Anatomy where its situated in relation to the feet and headis everything in regards to punching and avoiding one, your thoughts.
    Hi Scrap (and all)

This is my first post on the forum, so let me start by saying I love this place, very informative forum with a lot of interesting discussion. I'm not a boxer, I practice a chinese/s.e.asian martial art, but I hope to start at a boxing gym in the near future (I have the greatest respect for boxing in the world)...

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in that within the context of chinese martial arts, there is a very direct relationship between the coccyx, the perineum, and the head (and the hips). One of the skills we work on is being able to tell when someone does not have the coccyx oriented properly, and then taking advantage of it.

It's really interesting to hear that this focus exists in boxing as well. I've always thought of the coccyx being off as being the reason why it's easy to pull or throw an opponent, but now that you say it, I can see how it could be used for punching as well...

Great stuff!

-Ben
    Interesting Ben thanks - can you elaborate on some of the signals or clues you might look for to tell whether or not your opponent's coccyx is off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Sharla,

There are a lot of different types of signals to look for. These are the ones most relevant to boxing (the ones you can look for before you close with your opponent)

If your opponent shuffles in or out (or any time they step) watch how they land. If they land "solid" that means their ankle/knee/hip are all open correctly. If you see a very slight rock or wobble onto either the heel or the toe that means they're correcting for a problem (usually the coccyx).

It can be very slight.

Look at their neck for signs of muscular tension (this should be easier with boxers than with overweight martial artists ). If their stance is correct, the chin should be slightly tucked to extend/stretch the spine. This should relax the muscles around the neck. If you see little ropy muscles (like what you'd see if you were clenching your teeth or tugging your head to one side or the other) they're compensating.

Lastly, look to see if they are hunching. If someone hunches they tend to overtuck the coccyx. Not always, especially if you look at sambo and greco roman guys, but otherwise it's you can usuall count on some overtucking.

These are the easiest signs to explain on a messageboard. Most of the training we do to feel the structure is after contact has been made. If the ideas I wrote about up there don't make sense, I can try to explain the heart of the idea from our perspective. I tried finding a good example on youtube to show you, but it's hard to explain without being able to demonstrate...

-Ben

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welcome benfish to Saddos, and thank you for adding to topics you know and understand.

I haven't as yet jumped in this thread, but have been following, largely because where I am at in my boxing experience, while I do find such things of interest....I feel this type of thought while intriguing and important, when fighting or sparring, I might find myself pondering them...and getting knocked on my ass. lol

So I enjoy adding about that what I know...which is limited, and reading about that which I do not.

Again, welcome.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heres a little thing you can try Youngblood it will make your ability improve, Boxing stance moving forward throwing a double jab and moving the feet twice as you should. With your 2nd jab left in front of you, from that stance. Now try walking forward moving the front foot first if you cant your Coxxyx head and feet are not where thjey should be, try it

Thread Information