0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Tyson/Eubank/Jones Jr/Hatton workout routines

Mike Tyson

(as of March 1987)

Monday to Friday:
    Go for a 3 mile run in the morning.
    Do mid-day ring-work (10 rounds of sparring).
    Do evening ring-work (focus mitts and/or heavy bag).
    Warm-up for all ring-work with shadow boxing.
    Following mid-day ring-work - work on the slip bags and/or speed bags.
    Following evening ring-work - do circuits of bodyweight exercises (sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, dips) followed by 10 mins of neck work on the floor and 10 mins of skipping.
    (apparently every six months the size of the heavy bag was increased and the size of the speed bag was decreased).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Eubank

7 days a week:
    Go for a 6-8 mile run in the morning.
    In his own words (below)..
    First I started my stretching, then
    3 rounds of shadow boxing,
    6 rounds of heavy bag work,
    3 rounds of speed ball,
    Skipping between 20 to 30 minutes non-stop, no break straight through.
    50 sit-ups, not crunches proper sit-ups.
    Stretching.
    Finish with 20 hits in the stomach with a medicine ball.

That was generally the routine.
    If I was sparring it was the same routine but without the bag work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roy Jones

(as of July 1996)

Q: "How many miles a day do you run?"

Jones: "Actually, now that I've gotten a little older, I can't run as much as I used to. My knees are a little bad. But I run an average of about 5 miles a day once I get ready to get in shape. I used to run an average of about 8 miles a day. Yeah, I used to love to run."

Q: "What is your training routine and diet?"

Jones: "I like to play abit of basketball, but apart from that. . . When I'm not training for a fight, I'll go 3 days a week and practice my punches on the heavy bags and speed bags and things -- followed by weights, and I'll run an average of about 10 miles every other weekend. Then when training up for a fight, I'll alternate each day between sparring and weights, training 5 days a week. By that time, I'll be running like 5 miles a day. Really I just eat breakfast, lunch and dinner each day, with some snacks or protein shakes inbetween. You know, I used to eat McDonald's all the time, but then I told myself 'you gotta eat good if you wanna be the champ'.

Q: "Have you ever starved yourself to make weights?

Jones: "That's stupid because it kills your skills, sorry Mr Toney! I just eat stricter in the weeks leading up to a fight, like cutting little things out in my meals and things, you know. Then cut out snacks in the last week. Instead of doing, let's say, 200 sit - ups with 20 lbs weight, I'll do 2000 sit - ups. I might do 20 press - ups between each round when I'm sparring, if I need more weight off."

Q: "How much weight do you lose before a fight?"

Jones: "Now, I only lose about 6 pounds, and I do that very intelligently. The highest I get is about 180. I come all the way down to 168, so I get just below 175 within the first four weeks, then the last week, I getdown to 168.

Ricky Hatton

I train hard Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the gym for about thee hours, either with sparring partners or on the body bag with Billy. I then do weight-training sessions after each workout with my nutritionist Kerry Kayes on Tuesday and Thursday and then tactics, again with Billy for about three hours. I also go for a run in the evening, every day, say for about five or six miles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tyson/Eubank/Jones Jr/Hatton workout routines

Quote Originally Posted by DD
    Mike Tyson

(apparently every six months the size of the heavy bag was increased and the size of the speed bag was decreased).
    I heard this from Rooney recently, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't happening in 1987. I'm pretty that by 1987 Mike had already peaked and it was just a matter of maintaining what he had and keeping him ready. But when Mike was a young kid (ie many years before 1987), I'm pretty sure that the heavy bag got heavier over time to increase his punch power and the speed bags got lighter over time to increase his hand speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good post DD you got anymore
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here are some clips of Tyson training, most of them are of Tyson in 1984-1985 but some of them are of Tyson training for the Julius Francis fight in 2000. But most of the clips are of the 'young' Tyson.

Click the links below..

Tyson clip 1

Tyson clip 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks for the links bro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some more stuff I've found about a 'young' Tyson (below)...

At 12 years old he'd have $10 bets with the staff at Tyron School, he'd bench press 200lbs for an insane ammout of reps! At 13 years old he'd be heard in his room grunting and groaning at 3-4am practising his defensive moves and shadow boxing, this was before he got to the Catskills. He was a big lad, he weighed 200lbs 'solid' at just 13 years old.

Rooney says that Mike used to love to work on the exercise bike before he went to bed, this is how his tree trunk thighs were built - Mike would pedal with huge pressure at unbelievable pace, always trying to beat personal bests. Rooney didn't want Mike to work on the exercise bike but Mike enjoyed it and he had to keep Mike happy. Tyson's favourite food was Captain Crunch, and Rooney allowed him to eat it by the box load to fill him up, Tyson had a problem with always being hungry and Rooney had to keep him happy - so he ate boxes of Captain Crunch to fill him up. Also, Mike apparently could eat plate fulls of steak at a time and loved abit of pasta, and it wasn't uncommon for Mike to say that he was hungry and wanted dinner just half an hour after lunch! Also, at the Catskills, Tyson NEVER used weights! He used NO weights at all back then, he didn't start using weights until he left Rooney in 1988 and he didn't start using weights seriously until he was in prison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You said tyson never used weights, but in the same post you said that he was benching 200 when he was 13.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Christmas tree, my Christmas tree, lit up like a star

200 lbs at 12, not believable
    5 foot 4 inches and 154 lbs of PURE MAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

tyson was naturally bulky, he didn't need weights he's a true mesomorph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson 200lbs at 13 bollocks if he did weigh that it would mean he was more muscular then than he is now as he would of only been like 5ft tall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i doubt he was 200lbs at 13, i know he was a big lad but i don't think his body would of been fully developed yet. A heavyweight at the size of 13, that's unreal!

Thread Information