Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default small heavyweight or large light-heavyweight

i'm lookin towards havin my first amateur fight this year i weigh 13 st 5 lb/ approx 85 kgs and am 6"3. this puts me about in the middle of the amateur heavyweight category.
    this probably means i could be fighting people about a stone heavier than me if i fight at heavy.
    do u think it would be a good idea to try an get down to light heavy were i will be able to use my height and reach to more of an advantage and my opponents would be guaranteed to be the same weight as me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: small heavyweight or large light-heavyweight

well kgs comfuse me so ill guess your 215 or so. what would be easier then going from heavy to light heavy would be to go down to cruiser thats 190lbs and in that you most likly would have some hight advantage. hope this helps/makes sence

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I did the math right you are 187 pounds? And you are 6'3" tall? I am the same height and my walking around weight, in shape, was in the 178 to 184 range, but I'm rather small boned and feel fat as hell at 200. You don't mention how old you are, or whether or not you train with weights etc..That will influence a move to LHW as muscle weight is harder to lose than fat; also you will , depending on your age, gain weight with age, At light heavy the reach and height advantage may be balanced by what it costs your body to lose weight. If you fight at HW you really aren't giving up much by being 14lbs lighter. Your opponents may be heavier , and some may be taller but you can more than even up by perfecting your footwork and punching technique,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks for the advice,

by the way i`m 19 years old and could probably get to light heavy without much muscle loss but i do find it difficult to lose weight,
    probably best to stay at heavy cos i am quite fast any way and i can probably punch with heavyweigt power

Thread Information