Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Danny Williams v John McDermott RBR - 10pm UK Time

Morning all,

I've been liking the look of this one for a while, so I figured I'd to a bit of a preview and an RBR to it. It is after all the week when James Toney and Hasim Rahman fought, so here's a focus on another former title challenger who still claims he can get back to the big stage, and has had a little more success recently.

British Heavyweight champion Danny Williams (39-6, 31 KOs) is probably one of the most inconsistent heavyweights that has graced British boxing, going from the sublime in victories over Mike Tyson, and a superb challenge against Vitali Klitschko, to the downright dreadful, in back-to-back losses against Matt Skelton in a snoozer, and the embarrasingly KO'd by Audley Harrison. There's no doubt Williams is an enigma, but at 35....Danny's found himself on a 4-fight undefeated streak and British champion once again. In March 2007, Williams came in mean and lean against Scott Gammer to claim the British title, but has got bigger again over the past three fights. No news on the weigh-in I can find so far...but should be interesting to see how he comes in tonight.

John McDermott (25-3, 16KOs) is the opposition for Williams tonight, and has flitted around the British title for quite a while, losing to Matt Skelton in a first round KO in his only challenge so far. McDermott's resume lacks any big names, but wins over Pele Reid and Scott Gammer in recent times have pushed him back up the British rankings. Not packing tremendous knockout force could be a problem, as has his chin in previous outings, but McDermott will be hoping that his six-fight undefeated streak since that loss to Skelton will be extended by one more fight, and send him home with the Lonsdale belt.

Personally, if Danny Williams comes in within viewing distance of his peak, he should be winning this, if not....well, who knows with Danny.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Danny Williams v John McDermott RBR - 10pm UK Time

Danny has tons of heart, But a crispy biscuit for a chin. WIsh him the best though.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams has lost 25lbs since then and looks amazing.

on his day as good as any heavyweight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Again its all according which Danny Williams turns up, he looked good in his last fight with Airich (on that controversial night) i'm gonna go with a Williams mid-late stoppage. I also do like John Mcdermott, he looks overweight and awkward but is more athletic than he seems but I think if Williams turns up up for it he'll go home the winner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by saturday_kid View Post
    Again its all according which Danny Williams turns up, he looked good in his last fight with Airich (on that controversial night) i'm gonna go with a Williams mid-late stoppage. I also do like John Mcdermott, he looks overweight and awkward but is more athletic than he seems but I think if Williams turns up up for it he'll go home the winner

Danny has a real sence of confidence now his last few fights hes been great.

I think danny will knock him out early.

Then id love to see him fight Peter that is very winnable.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IF fat John doesn't totally freeze he could make it entertaining for a few rounds. Danny is such a SLOW starter these days - It's like he needs to be punched about a bit to get going. And Big John is pretty nimble for a fat man.

Problem is McDermott used to get schooled by Danny in sparring. So I don't see how there's ANY chance of him not pantsing it.

Williams can win by stoppage anytime he wants. Probably about the 5th.
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-18-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes a lot depends on which day of the week it is with Danny but I would expect Danny to stop John McD going by his last fights inside 6 and looked in superb shape,both physically & mentally against Airich,and needed to be as he was up against the referee too!.

Looking in great condition and that farce against Audley Harrison now seemingly just a nightmare.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hoagy View Post
    Yes a lot depends on which day of the week it is with Danny but I would expect Danny to stop John McD going by his last fights inside 6 and looked in superb shape,both physically & mentally against Airich,and needed to be as he was up against the referee too!.

Looking in great condition and that farce against Audley Harrison now seemingly just a nightmare.
    The problem for Williams is whether he will ever really be able to completely convince people that the dismal rematch with Audley was simply an off-day for him, and whether he can show he wants to proceed beyond British level by being consistent. If he wants to achieve as much as he still talks the talk, impressive quick KO is essential in my eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've not long been back frpm me local bookmakers.I've put money on Williams to win in round 8(16-1),9(20-1),10(25-1),11(33-1),12(33-1)i've put a £1 on each of the rounds.Personally i think Wiiliams will take McDermott in round 8th or 9th!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
    He was always up against it in this fight!!!I mean he had everthing aginst him going into the ring on this figh,Lack in height,lack in reach,lack in lateral moment.lt!!Great Williams though.He's never dodged anyone in the fight game and he'll a sound bloke to.I like Danny,he always interesting to watch!!!Im looking forward to him fighting tonight!!Some rep coming yeah way me American chum!
    Last edited by yvonne; 07-18-2008 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw big John kncoked out in the 1st round vs Skelton . He was down 3 times and Matt cant even punch so basically the 1st time Danny lands its over . Could be in the 1st or the 10th but either way Danny wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne View Post
    I've not long been back frpm me local bookmakers.I've put money on Williams to win in round 8(16-1),9(20-1),10(25-1),11(33-1),12(33-1)i've put a £1 on each of the rounds.Personally i think Wiiliams will take McDermott in round 8th or 9th!
    Hahaha that's what I like to see, I knew you would good stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What channel can i see this on please?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    What channel can i see this on please?
    Not sure where you're based mate, but if you're in the UK it's on Sky Sports 1. It's a domestic bout, so if you're elsewhere you're probably out of luck.

Thread Information