Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default strenght training for boxers

i walk around at about 140 but i fight at 125. i'm getting down there slowly but surely but i want to get stronger as i do it. i've heard that lifting weights is bad from some people but then others tell me its good. i want to get that chico corrales biecept. that guy was 130 and had a cononon his arm. how can i do this without compromising speed??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: strenght training for boxers

Bodyweight exercises and great nutrition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lots of push ups, pull ups and squats will help you gain strength, but you will have to decide, depending on your goals, how heavy you go and how much time you have to dedicate to training etc.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don`t know what a chico corrales bicep is, but am assuming it is big un.

As Donny stated regarding the nutrition, for sure, I can vouch for that and in a big way. And also what I think is important is to understand and listen to your body.

I started taking training seriously, had started eating healthy, doing intense cardio, a mix of body weights plus weights and on a 6 day a week basis...and at the time was likely 5`10``and about 135-140 lbs. I knew I wanted to be stronger, already had speed. What I wasn`t considering properly was how much body fat I had on me and recovery. I was distance running very lean on body fat, trying to add muscle and going hard at cardio...so was in essence causing a conflict and deficit in my bodies needs.

End result was a constant string of aches, lower back pain and injuries as well as knee pain. Add on a lot of night cramping to boot. With help from this place plus doing the research to follow up, I found for my case I simply had to look at a proper recovery. For this it meant for me a whey protein supplement + L-glutamine directly after workouts. Also a change in how I ran.

Not only did all the aches and pains disappear, but the gains I was looking for seemed to arrive in short order. There is a difference between pushing yourself until you are sore and tired, and pushing yourself until you are hurt. I learned that, but not without help and research, and listening to my body and listening to others in the know. I now am 6`and range between 150-157ish...at 150 or so in peak shape so far.

So get as much info. as you can from those that know, and who are maybe similar in body size to you, and with similar goals. oh and the bicep, you are going to find it is one of the last muscles to focus on specifically for boxing. You`ll want to train it just to work properly with the rest of your body.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boxbro View Post
    i walk around at about 140 but i fight at 125. i'm getting down there slowly but surely but i want to get stronger as i do it. i've heard that lifting weights is bad from some people but then others tell me its good. i want to get that chico corrales biecept. that guy was 130 and had a cononon his arm. how can i do this without compromising speed??
    It's A-okay to lift weights and be a boxer. The main thing though, is stretch before and after lifting weights so that your flexibility increases. 2ndly, don't use high weights and low reps (as if you were trying to be a bulk-body lifter).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    It's A-okay to lift weights and be a boxer. The main thing though, is stretch before and after lifting weights so that your flexibility increases. 2ndly, don't use high weights and low reps (as if you were trying to be a bulk-body lifter).
    Mate that's a myth, the most effective use of free weights is with high weight and low reps. Nutrition and diet is the main factor on whether or not you get bigger. Eat more calories a day than required with a decent amount of protein (2g per Kg of body weight) and you will get bigger. However eat less than required with the same protein and you wont, you can only get out what you put in. This is why you do high weight as it's proven to make you stronger rather than piddly weights with hundreds of reps, which is pointless.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Salty speaketh the truth.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, Salty speaks the truth. Heavy weights and low reps build strength, but i wouldnt say high reps are no good. They build endurance strength which is also important. For example push ups: just because you can do a lot of them doesnt mean they are pointless. Its a good idea to do a mix of low and high reps.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolutaly.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information