Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Which is the greatest trilogy in boxing history

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The greatest boxing trilogy in history is?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The greatest boxing trilogy in history is?

There have been some great trilogies in boxing history but I'd like to know which one you people would vote for as the no1 trilogy in boxing history. There are a few ive missed off the poll like Zale-Graziano and Harding-Andries simply because you can only have 10 choices so ive made a other category and if you think that one I missed off should be the winner vote there and let us know who!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The greatest boxing trilogy in history is?

Ive voted Gatti-Ward by the way. All 3 sheer entertaining from first bell to last. Was not an easy choice though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marquez/Vazquez is hands down the ultimate trilogy IMO.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I sound like a scratched record here but.........Tony Lopez Vs.John John Molina was one of the best Ever seen.....Needed a forth

Zaragoza Vs. Banke was awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    I sound like a scratched record here but.........Tony Lopez Vs.John John Molina was one of the best Ever seen.....Needed a forth

Zaragoza Vs. Banke was awesome.
    That 3rd Lopez/Molina was great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vasquez v Marquez cos its still fresh in the mind. It has to be up there due to the great mix of skill and brutality.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm biased cause I was ringside for 2 of 3 fights between Rafa & Izzy but still even if I wasn't there I gotta say that's it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Barrera vs Morales for ME! I'm all for sportsmanship but when personal hate becomes a part of the equation, BINGO!!

Ali vs Frazier was a CLOSE second!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After thinking some more here's how I'd rate them...

1. Rafa-Izzy: Never in 3 savage fights have we seen so much skills displayed by both fighters and I mean at the highest level. Brutal punching that saw both guys hitting the canvas and getting up only to rock their opponent.
    2. Zale-Graziano: I know, I know this is the trilogy by which we judge all trilogies and it's like 2 pitbulls going at it the fights changed winners several times and ended in dramatic fashion.
    3. Gatti-Ward: Just brutal... I mean 2 guys who punched when YOU thought surely they're tired now and BOTH will fall. Well guess again, that was only round 1 of the fight.
    4. MAB-Erik: If it wasn't for fight #2 I would have had this as #3, but anyway still a brillian triolgy and one of the more later ones that sparked the whole trilogy of recent times.
    5. Ali-Fraizer: The history behind this trilogy exceeds that of all of the ones listed here for that alone it belongs.
    6. Duran-De Jesus: A rare triology and let alone fights that are rarely mentioned. El Vita surprises Duran and decks him during the course but the great Duran shows why he is P4P top 5 all time.
    7. Bowe-Holyfield: My god these punched and beat eachother from one side of the ring to the other. I remember this trilogy the most becau. se the fights were around my B-Day in Nov.
    8. Patterson-Johansson: 11 knockdowns, 1 Brutal KO, an upset special and 2 FOTY awards. Need I say more?
    9. Andreis-Harding: The type of fighting that these guys displayed can only be summed up by one word "animals". I mean 2 surprising endings and 1 final fight that just made you scringe and ask yourself how in the hell are they still fighting.
    10. Griffith-Nino: One of my top fav. all time fighters Emile. The man who fought the best out there win, loose or draw he fought them all. He possibly has the best if not one of the best resumes of any fighter. He also had several trilogies. In this one when he fought Nino, he took Nino to the distance they both dropped eachother but Nino won in the other 2 Emile won the rematch but Nino won the 3rd.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The greatest trilogy for me is Vasquez/ Marquez!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I voted Holyfield - Bowe. It's a persoanl vote because I'm a heavyweight fan and it was during my years of loyal veiwership.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I voted Ali Frazier. Although other trilogies may have had more action this was a trilogy that featured two of the biggest stars ever to lace a pair of gloves.

They just don't come bigger than Ali and Frazier and that reason it has to be number 1 in my mind.

I can certainly except some people thinking Marquez Vazquez had even better action but let's be real, that trilogy probably attracted maybe a dozen casual viewers worldwide, it was a hardcore fans trilogy.

Barely nobody outside of boxing circles, and certainly outside the US would have even known they took place. Whereas even my mom has a dim recollection of the names of Ali and Frazier.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I vote Marquez vs, Vasquez because of the consistency and quality of the action.

I think Ward Gatti was great, but it wasn't at elite level.
    Also the second and third never reached the heights of the first.

Ali Frazier although HUGE, was let down by a realtively" easy second fight for ali.

I had huge trouble picking this over MAB vs, Erik.
    Huge fight.

Izzy and Marquez were at the height of their powers, they met as the best and the displayed everyting good in boxing.
    Last edited by donnydarkoIRL; 07-22-2008 at 09:15 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am pleasantly surprised to see Vazquez-Marquez get the votes.

For me it's one for a majority of reasons. First off, all 3 fights were FOTY quality. Most trilogies have at least some dull action. Vazquez-Marquez, you have basically the calm before the storm for 2 rounds before the carnage. And the calm in Vazquez-Marquez is still bettter then 90% of any other fights out there.

Also, and this is a big one for me, each fight was better then the last imo. The first was something a lot of us boxing fans were looking forward to, we got a fight for the ages. The second was obviously something everyone looked forward to again, and we got an even better fight. Usually the second fights are the lulls. Morales-Barrera, Frazier-Ali, Gatti-Ward all had less then spectacular 2nd fights. Vazquez-Marquez II was fight of the year.

Then everyone looked forward to the third, everyone. The anticipation was insane, and what do they do? They have what is imo, the best fight of the trilogy and by far the most dramatic ending. The last round of the fight, the last round of the trilogy and Vazquez forces a standing eight to take the split decision. That's stuff that if they wrote into Rocky VII we would all roll our eyes. You really can not beat that trilogy. It's one of the best fights I've ever seen and as a collective this is the best trilogy. Just kept getting better and better until they finally ran out of rounds to fight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quite surprised so far! Is the Vasquez-Marquez trilogy winning because it is fresh in the memory though

Thread Information