Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sports Nutrition Bible

Hey

I'm studying for a diploma in sports nutrition and i have to say it's been quite eye opening. Most of the stuff, i had touched upon from researching fitness websites etc...(like most people do i suppose) but the last few months have certainly opened my eyes to the fact that the popular magazines and websites contain quite a lot of useless information. It's almost like they're subconsciously trying to hold you back so you still have the need to buy their publications.

Anyway i will be using this thread to write up some sports nutrition articles for people to use (if they like). Some of the stuff in here might go against your conventional wisdom (it did mine) and for the clever buggers, some of the stuff might actually be 2nd nature.

Anyway i hope to touch on quite a few aspects of sports nutrition. I'll try to write an article each day (maybe difficult but i'l try). I want it to be very similar to the supplement dictionary started by Donny.

So if the experienced guys and gals (Salty, Sharla, Scrap, Donny, Adam, Youngsblood etc...) want to contribute with what works for them then it would be very much appreciated.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sports Nutrition Bible

Oh-oh

I've been stickied.....the pressure is on

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Oh-oh

I've been stickied.....the pressure is on

Fact

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Energy (ATP)

I was going to start off by talking about Protein, Carbs, Fats etc... but before we go into that i think it's important to explain how the body produces energy. Once you understand how the body produces energy, you will hopefully be able to see for yourself the importance of nutrients.

So....Energy!

Energy is produced by the splitting of a chemical bond in a substance called Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP from here on...). ATP is produced in every cell of the body from the breakdown of carbs, protein, fat and alcohol (booze )

Ok so, what's ATP then?

It's a small molecule with an adenosine backbone with 3 phosphate groups attached. Basically think of a daddy long legs with only 3 legs (on the same side) and a body. The body is the adenosine backbone and the 3 legs are the phosphate groups (hope that makes sense).

What's this got to do with energy?

Energy is released when one of the phosphate groups splits off. So basically the poor daddy long legs only has 2 legs now. Now it has become adenosine diphosphate or ADP. Some of the released energy is used to carry out work (muscle contractions etc...) while the rest (in fact most of it) is given off as heat. That explains why you feel warm when you exercise. Anyways, once this happens ADP is converted back into ATP and a continual cycle takes place, in which ATP forms ADP and then becomes ATP again...
    Last edited by ono; 07-22-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Bodys a radiater. . Great Thread good lad ono.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

continued....

ATP and ADP

So the body can only store very tiny amounts of ATP at any one time. Basically there is just about enough to keep up basic energy requirements while you're resting. Obviously when you start exercising, the demand for energy suddenly increases, and the supply of ATP is used up within seconds.

As more ATP must be produced to continue exercising, more fuel must be broken down.

So where does this fuel come from?

Well namely...

Carbohydrate
    Protein
    Fat
    and Alcohol

When the above is eaten, they are broken down (in the digestive system) into their various constituents or building blocks. Then they can be absorbed into the bloodstream.

Carbs are broken down into small, single sugar units: glucose, fructose and galactose. Fats are borken down into fatty acids and proteins are broken down into amino acids. Alcohol is evil and is mainly absorbed into the blood.

The ultimate fate of these 4 components is energy production.
    Last edited by ono; 07-22-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

continued...

How is energy measured?

The short answer is.....in calories. I won't bore you with the science of it. Basically that's all you need to know. CALORIES is the answer

Energy Value of Different Food Components

1g provides...

Carbs 4 calories
    fat 9 calories
    protein 4 calories
    alcohol 7 calories

So basically, 1 gram of carbohydrate contains 4 calories, as does 1 gram of protein. 1 gram of booze contains 7 calories while 1 gram of fat contains 9 calories. Easy.

So from that list, you can gather than fat is the most concentrated form of energy. However, that doesn't make it the 'best' form of energy for exercise.
    Last edited by ono; 07-22-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Thread Information