Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default New Slugger

Hey all, I just joined the forums. I'm 17 years old and I've got a bit of interest in Boxing, as keeping fit and maybe some local competition. I've no idea where to start, I'll be heading to our local boxing gym soon. (sometime after the 11th) I'm just curious as to ANY comments on what everyone would recommend I start.

I've read a bit of the beginner topics on the forums, but am curious if theres something I'm forgetting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New Slugger

Well if you mean training, then what i suggest is some cardio, maybe running or skipping. Sit-ups, push ups just the usual. Once you begin training however you will get a better idea of what you need to develop. Fitness will come naturally during training, and during you should push yourself, so when you spar you are the fitter and smarter man in the ring. Also youre trainer generally knows best so listhen to him, just remember that the first 2 weeks are always the hardest, once you get through those you set. Sweat more bleed less...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds good, I started doing around 100 pushups and situps around last week. I'm having some trouble working on my lower abs though, I don't have a friend near enough to have them press down on vertical leg raises. Any idea what I could do for that area?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of the most important things you could do if you dont have a heavy bag yet is SHADOW BOX in front of a mirror that will help you get used to throwing punches which can be akward for someone whos never boxed, focus on proper technique and speed and also alot of short flurries this will also strenghten and conditon the ligaments and tendons in your arms and shoulders, so when you begin to hit the heavy bag you wont injure yourself..also keep moving on your toes and move around .. and for your lowerabs you could do reverse crunches , leg lifts . and hanging leg lifts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats awesome, thanks a TON. I'll just do some ab and arm workouts, since I'm not free for anything myself until the 11th. Any idea on what shadow boxing combinations I should work on? I know someone on here is a champion in their own right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well if you shadow box in front of a mirror, you see you openings when you throw punches, so that helps that part. Obvious combination, jab jab cross. Then just slowly work of that, most combinations start with a jab, just when doing and trying them imagine someone standing there and making openings, mix up the angles. If you punch high, generally they block high, so then go to the body, then they block low and so forth. Oh and when trowing these punches, you should bring your hand straight back to guard, so you should have one hand to guard, even without a partner its always good to train like they can still hit you back, training outside of the ring will be what you bring into the ring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great stuff... thanks.

Thread Information