Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should James Toney fight next?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who should James Toney fight next?

The second Toney: Rahman fight was odd. Toney looked like he was sleeping the first round off. In the second round he was closing the gap and actually threw a couple of meaningful punches. In the third I thought Toney was beginning to actually look good. And then it was over. I would really have liked to have seen the fight go on just to gauge where Toney is really at in terms of workrate and stamina and being able to consistently land telling blows without taking to many breathers.

So where next for Toney? I would like to see him fighting soon. Time is limited and he has maybe 3 fights in him if he is to fight for another year or so. Toney isnt going to get a title shot based on 3 rounds with Rahman so its probably going to be another fight with someone ranked in the top 20. Danny Williams is hovering around there and Ive heard his name bandied about before. Would be an okay stay busy fight for Toney. Golota would be a funny matchup with Toney. Hilarious differences in size! Maybe even Maskaev?

There are a few fighters he could target. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Gandalf; 07-26-2008 at 07:09 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who should James Toney fight next?

Maybe a fight with Povetkin or the winner of Tua Arreola, Or (GASP) a fight with David Hayes.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy View Post
    Maybe a fight with Povetkin or the winner of Tua Arreola, Or (GASP) a fight with David Hayes.
    Yes, a Tua fight would be quite interesting and maybe fun to watch. And of course, I would love to see Toney fight Haye. If Toney is at a similar level to where he was in the first Peter fight then I think he beats Haye.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sergie Lyakhovich. That would answer questions for me.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    That would be good. Brock or Eddie Chambers would be a good fight.

Mentioned
    1674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wlad, so once and for all he can be stfu and retire.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting . . .

If he cant K.O Sergie I duno if he could outwork him. Yeah it would be a decent est but if I was part of Team Toney I wouldnt go in that direction . Id secure him a safer bet . But from a fans perspective as you say it would answer questions.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

Interesting . . .

If he cant K.O Sergie I duno if he could outwork him. Yeah it would be a decent est but if I was part of Team Toney I wouldnt go in that direction . Id secure him a safer bet . But from a fans perspective as you say it would answer questions.
    Well I am a big fan of both guys. SL is my man. But him and Toney both need a big fight to get them into a title shot I think. As a fan, I actually think it would be a great fight and the winner would get a chance.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

El Kabong Guest

Joey Chestnut......in an eating competition.......food: hot wings

I'm leaning towards Toney in this one...mainly because his gravitational pull is dragging me that way

But seriously, I think he could be a tough TOUGH first fight for David Haye

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would love to see him fight Haye, I think Toney would break him down for the late stoppage. Hayes only shot would be an early-mid KO, which isn't much of a shot against even this Toney. If not then a fight with Arreola would be great. Think Toney wins this one handily too. Guess it's kinda depressing when these are supposed to be the best up and coming HW's... But James is a tricky SOB and I think he'd show these guys so much more4 than they have ever seen in the ring.

El Kabong Guest

James Toney's defense is really tricky and he can counter very well....maybe not with the most power but enough to make the crowd ooh and aahh. And if either Haye or Arreola KO Toney then it's a big deal because JT has never been KO'd...he's not what he used to be but he's a tricky fighter and will give them experience.

I think I would put Alexander Dimitrenko on the list too...he's young, undefeated but a record full of has beens and never was' ....JT may upset him easier than Haye or Arreola and it woul dgive his career more life.

I think Hasim Rahman would be a good test for these young guys too
    Last edited by El Kabong; 07-26-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been saying for months that Haye should fight the Rahman/Toney II winner.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    I've been saying for months that Haye should fight the Rahman/Toney II winner.
    Should. But I don't see any way in hell his first HW fight, after all his talk and hooplah about unifying the division, is against James TOney. Not when you consider all the slow clumsy guys who are just ripe for the picking from a guy like Haye, as compared to Toney who has seen it all before a dozen times and has more ring smarts in his pinkie than the rest of the HW division combined. Plus Toney wont be around much longer, and he isn't heralded as a top guy anyways.

Steffer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    The second Toney: Rahman fight was odd. Toney looked like he was sleeping the first round off. In the second round he was closing the gap and actually threw a couple of meaningful punches. In the third I thought Toney was beginning to actually look good. And then it was over. I would really have liked to have seen the fight go on just to gauge where Toney is really at in terms of workrate and stamina and being able to consistently land telling blows without taking to many breathers.

So where next for Toney? I would like to see him fighting soon. Time is limited and he has maybe 3 fights in him if he is to fight for another year or so. Toney isnt going to get a title shot based on 3 rounds with Rahman so its probably going to be another fight with someone ranked in the top 20. Danny Williams is hovering around there and Ive heard his name bandied about before. Would be an okay stay busy fight for Toney. Golota would be a funny matchup with Toney. Hilarious differences in size! Maybe even Maskaev?

Let this FAT and OVERRATED burger get to Europe and get some fights under his belt instead of fighting bums in America - the future of the division is in Europe, so let Toney fight here - Vladimir Virchis, Sultan Ibragimov, Alexander Dimitrenko and Serguei Lyakhovich would be good and level ups opponents for the fat guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Steffer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

Let this FAT and OVERRATED burger get to Europe and get some fights under his belt instead of fighting bums in America - the future of the division is in Europe, so let Toney fight here - Vladimir Virchis, Sultan Ibragimov, Alexander Dimitrenko and Serguei Lyakhovich would be good and level ups opponents for the fat guy.
    Im not even mad at your post..

Because the genuine chance toney has to beat all of those guys makes me want him to fight them just to let you see

in fact lyakhovich is the only guy i really rate with much of a chance.. just down to workrate.. i.e the brewster fight NOT the briggs lol
    Immortal Technique

Thread Information