Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Two Defenses Against the Jab

The first and most basic dway to avoid getting hit with a jab is to catch it in the palm of your right glove; this is why you keep the right hand home. (right elbow in close to guard the ribs, rt hand open palm toward opponent directly in front of rt shoulder and in line with the left shoulder. Relax the arm) When he jabs simply catch it at the butt of the hand. Let it come to you don't reach for it unless you like getting hit. As you catch it, I've found that a short circling step to the left ( move your left foot @2" to the left and pivot your body a short distance to left.) This allows your punch to arrive before you catch his and it gives you the inside position. OUTSIDEparry on left lead. This the simplest defense against the jab. As he jabs use the right glove, moving inward from the point of the elbow , swatting the lead on the cuff of the glove, keep elbow stationary. You want to wait as long as possible to push his glove- it maximizes the effect of the misdirection. There is also the cross parry; when he jabs reach over with the left hand- elbow doesn't move- wide of your body. We'll talk about the countering possibilities in a moment. To parry to the inside, when he jabs take short step to the left, turn your body just inside the lead, bring rt glove up and between head and his left glove. Use your rt glove to brush his lead aside. This is very difficult and you'll probably do better slipping inside. We'll get to the counters at a later date; I'm old and tired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Two Defenses Against the Jab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey great stuff man. That's exactly the kind've stuff I was looking for and I'm gonna go to work on it tonight. Keep it coming! I really like your systematic and organized approach to the different techniques.

One question. When you said:

As you catch it, I've found that a short circling step to the left ( move your left foot @2" to the left and pivot your body a short distance to left.) This allows your punch to arrive before you catch his and it gives you the inside position.
    Are you talking about a R hand counter here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think he is talking about a left
    cuz you perry his left with your right so you keep defence for his right,
    or throw in a counter jab to set up your offence.

Thread Information