Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anybody else a big fan of Paul Williams?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anybody else a big fan of Paul Williams?

I like the way he took the title from tony like how real champs do. I know he lost to quintana but he did what a real champ should do in a rematch and stop the guy that defeated him previously. Things like that don't happen often and fighters that pull it off are my type of fighters.

examples: roy gets dq'ed and k.o's oppenent in rematch, pac loses close decision to eric but ko him in rematch, isreal lose to rafa but ko's rafa in rematch. I love fighters like that!!! they the best!!!

I really hope paul has a huge future a head of him. His already have two great wins over tony and quintana. He took tonys best shots unlike cotto, and imo paul will beat cotto and even floyd. Tony is tony though and paul imo may lose a rematch with tony but it will be close to set up a trilogy.

Guys we really may have one great trilogy between paul and tony. lets all cross our fingers and hope for it. it could be like duran and leonard but a trilogy. the unstopable duran/tony vs the determined leonard/paul. ok maybe not but i like it

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anybody else a big fan of Paul Williams?

I don't DISlike Williams, but I don't personally like to see such huge height disparities in fights. They make for awkward or one-sided affairs. Paul has the height to fight at 154 and beyond. I know 147 is the superior division in boxing and where the money's at, but Williams is not a true 147-pounder, IMO. His style of throwing hundreds of punches, but not really sitting down on any, doesn't sit well with me either. True, he did KO Quintana. But that was more of a case of Quintana being caught cold than of Williams overwhelming Quintana with his power. I think the Margarito that beat Cotto last week beats Williams in a rematch, IMO.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I don't DISlike Williams, but I don't personally like to see such huge height disparities in fights. They make for awkward or one-sided affairs. Paul has the height to fight at 154 and beyond. I know 147 is the superior division in boxing and where the money's at, but Williams is not a true 147-pounder, IMO. His style of throwing hundreds of punches, but not really sitting down on any, doesn't sit well with me either. True, he did KO Quintana. But that was more of a case of Quintana being caught cold than of Williams overwhelming Quintana with his power. I think the Margarito that beat Cotto last week beats Williams in a rematch, IMO.
    I agree if tony starts off fast he'll beat paul, he did get paul a few times but it was too late. Tony just has to start from round 1 to end and he'll beat paul. I like paul and his height dont' bother me, he reminds me of chico. As for quintana i liked him too and was rooting for him against joel julio. Thats the first time i became a fan of carlos. I don't know though, i can't see him beating paul again. Who you got if they have a trilogy? carlos vs paul that is?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    I agree if tony starts off fast he'll beat paul, he did get paul a few times but it was too late. Tony just has to start from round 1 to end and he'll beat paul. I like paul and his height dont' bother me, he reminds me of chico. As for quintana i liked him too and was rooting for him against joel julio. Thats the first time i became a fan of carlos. I don't know though, i can't see him beating paul again. Who you got if they have a trilogy? carlos vs paul that is?
    In the 1st fight, I think Paul underestimated Quintana and Carlos just outboxed him. In the 2nd, Carlos got careless and got caught cold in the 1st round and never recovered.

I think a 3rd fight would be a boxing match like the 1st, with the result probably being a close decision. I think it could go either way, given the boxing skills of both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito looked fresher in the 12th round against Williams than he did in the first. That was the fight that made Margarito decide to never start late in a fight again.

Margarito hurt Williams at a couple points in the fight and Williams was dead on his feet from exhaustion afterwards. I havent seen the fight since it happened, but I remember thinking at the time that Williams might not make it out of the 12th.

I think Margarito probably finds a way to beat Williams in a rematch. Margarito has an edge on power, better chin, and at his best similar punch output.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    In the 1st fight, I think Paul underestimated Quintana and Carlos just outboxed him. In the 2nd, Carlos got careless and got caught cold in the 1st round and never recovered.

I think a 3rd fight would be a boxing match like the 1st, with the result probably being a close decision. I think it could go either way, given the boxing skills of both.
    yea it could go either way, im leaning over paul side though. the guy is a beast really but quintana is a lion tamer, who knows men he contained him once he may do it again. I don't see it though. I would like to see carlos go after cotto, im a cotto fan and between me and you carlos did have a good point about illegal blows I though carlos could of pulled a joel julio type decision win over cotto but cotto with those blows didn't give any chance to carlos.

Damn the welterweight is a great division!!!!!!!!!!

10 miles from Manchester, 6 miles from Bolton
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i like williams , he is gud and tall boxer. very tall for welter, he cud fight Tony again, then even move up.

Thread Information