Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Naseem Hamed in the Hall?

On balance, I think I could make a strong case for him. He was an event fighter much as De La Hoya is now. When he fought, it was an event and people watched. Hell, so was Tyson at the end. He could still probably fill an arena.

But one needs to strip away the emotion and look at what is taking place in the ring objectively. Easier said than done and I fall ito the trap as well as the next fan, but it has to be done in order to evaluate a fighter for his worth IN THE RING, and I think his warrants eventual induction into the Hall.

What do you think?

Last edited by holmcall; 08-05-2008 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Naseem Hamed in the Hall?

I can easily see Hamed in the Hall of Fame.

I don't really like to use the "so and so is in the Hall of Fame and he has less achievements" argument, but it's not like Hamed didn't have some solid achievements of his own, in addition to the popularity and (Hall of) fame.

He beat the major 4 titleholders at 126 (WBO/IBF/WBA/WBC). For a good while, he beat a slew of guys who either were contenders or held a title at 126.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolutley. He faced tough opposition and only lost one fight.

10 miles from Manchester, 6 miles from Bolton
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Naz only lost 1 fght against a great in Barrera, of course he deserves his place in the HoF

Although i still think he wasted his talent with his attitude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His attitude made him.

He was like Mayweather, everyone wanted to see him lose, including me, we loved to hate him...

but I feel alot of British people, whether you like boxing or not, watched him face Barrera, and when all these people wanted him to lose, I suspect most were praying for him to knock Barrera out in those final couple of rounds...because when he lost, he was no longer going to be the invincible Naz.

And deep down I feel everyone loved him.

You cant fault Naz for what he did for the sport.

He made a big mistake, we all do. But for what he did for boxing it was great.

I heard Naz was finished long before he took the Barrera fight, never training etc.

A Waste, but also, it was good to have had him and lost him, than to have never had him at all..
    Last edited by Shroomy; 08-07-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate to admit it but he should be in the hall.

Horrible person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does Naseem Hamed deserve to be in the Hall of fame course he does he is one of the best british fighters of all time.

Winning the European title in his 12th fight against Vincenzo Belcastro winning every round UD12 Belcastro went on to give another good british fighter Spencer Oliver a right tough fight do he was no mug this was a great result for Naz.

Steve Robinson:WBO champ coming of some good solid wins vs Colin Mcmillan Paul Hodkinson and Duke Mckenzie.Naz was fighting at Featherweight for his first time and was fighting in Robinsons back yard many thought Robinson would be to strong for Hamed.Naz gave Robinson a beating over 8 rounds and became the youngest British world champ at 21 in only his 20th fight.

Manuel medina:Former world champ this was Naz's 3rd defence he fought with a cold and dropped Medina 3 times and stopped him in 11 rounds Medina couldn't go on.This was a good performance as Medina went on to win more world titles and even beat Scott Harrison years later he is now a 5 time world champ.

Tom Johnson:IBF champ and rated number 1 featherweight in the world by The Ring magazine Naz won by stopping Johnson in 8 rounds to become the number 1 recognised featherweight.

Billy Hardy:good pro and number 1 WBO contender only stopped once in the last 12 year before fighting Naz Naz KO'd him in 1 round.

Jose Badillo:A good fighter who was number 1 contender his only loss before Naz was to Tom Johnson who he had down in there fight.Naz put on a great display of boxing skill and showmanship and broke him up in 7 rounds.

Keven Kelley:A former 2 time world champ with a record of 47-1-2 with 32 KO's more KO's than Naz had fights 28-0 it was a great up and downer both being dropped 3 times naz won by KO round 4 i think this was Ring magazine fight of the year.

Wilfredo Vasquez:WBA champ who was stripped for fighting Naz Naz won TKO7.

Wayne McCullough:22-1-0 a real good pro Naz basically stud him on his head UD12.

Paul Ingle:21-0 a good pro who went on to win a world title vs Manuel Medina after fighting Naz.Ingle was stopped in 11 rounds after being dropped 3 times.

Cesar Soto:WBC champ it was a scrappy fight but Naz won easily UD12.

Vuyani Bungu:13 defences of his IBF Super bantamweight going into this fight Bungu had never been stopped Naz put on a great display and stopped him in 4 rounds.Bungu was only ever stopped by Naz in all his career.

In theory Naz was the firstfighter to win all 4 major titles WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO he beat all the champs and only lost the titles through being stripped.Apart from the WBA title that he didn't win because Vasquez was stripped but he was the present champ.from 30th September 1995 to 19th August 2000 Naz made 15 world title defences.

I also think Naz shouldn't have been stripped of his MBE as he got it for his sporting achievements not his driving skills but thats my opinion.So my answer is YES he should be in the hall of fame Barry Mcguigan is in it for christ sake.
    Last edited by Tysonbruno; 08-07-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Shroomy View Post
    His attitude made him.

He was like Mayweather, everyone wanted to see him lose, including me, we loved to hate him...

but I feel alot of British people, whether you like boxing or not, watched him face Barrera, and when all these people wanted him to lose, I suspect most were praying for him to knock Barrera out in those final couple of rounds...because when he lost, he was no longer going to be the invincible Naz.

And deep down I feel everyone loved him.

You cant fault Naz for what he did for the sport.

He made a big mistake, we all do. But for what he did for boxing it was great.

I heard Naz was finished long before he took the Barrera fight, never training etc.

A Waste, but also, it was good to have had him and lost him, than to have never had him at all..
    Are you some kind of fag or something?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hamed you could argue deserves to be in the Hall Of Fame , but if i was working the door i wouldnt let the CUNT IN simply for being a prize shit kicker. who i hate with a passion .
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

not if I had anything to do with it.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He did everything Hatton and Calzaghe have done but quicker he was alot better talent that these 2

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tysonbruno View Post
    He did everything Hatton and Calzaghe have done but quicker he was alot better talent that these 2
    I wouldnt let Hatton or Calzaghe in either
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should probably be in it. He was a great fighter and entertainer.

However he never made any attempt to avenge the 1 defeat on his record unlike guys like Lennox Lewis etc who cemented their legacy by beating the folk they lost to. That is my only problem with Naz's career.

Plus he is a bit of a wanker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does Naseem Hamed deserve to be in the Hall of fame course he does he is one of the best british fighters of all time.

Winning the European title in his 12th fight against Vincenzo Belcastro winning every round UD12 Belcastro went on to give another good british fighter Spencer Oliver a right tough fight do he was no mug this was a great result for Naz.

Steve Robinson:WBO champ coming of some good solid wins vs Colin Mcmillan Paul Hodkinson and Duke Mckenzie.Naz was fighting at Featherweight for his first time and was fighting in Robinsons back yard many thought Robinson would be to strong for Hamed.Naz gave Robinson a beating over 8 rounds and became the youngest British world champ at 21 in only his 20th fight.

Manuel medina:Former world champ this was Naz's 3rd defence he fought with a cold and dropped Medina 3 times and stopped him in 11 rounds Medina couldn't go on.This was a good performance as Medina went on to win more world titles and even beat Scott Harrison years later he is now a 5 time world champ.

Tom Johnson:IBF champ and rated number 1 featherweight in the world by The Ring magazine Naz won by stopping Johnson in 8 rounds to become the number 1 recognised featherweight.

Billy Hardy:good pro and number 1 WBO contender only stopped once in the last 12 year before fighting Naz Naz KO'd him in 1 round.

Jose Badillo:A good fighter who was number 1 contender his only loss before Naz was to Tom Johnson who he had down in there fight.Naz put on a great display of boxing skill and showmanship and broke him up in 7 rounds.

Keven Kelley:A former 2 time world champ with a record of 47-1-2 with 32 KO's more KO's than Naz had fights 28-0 it was a great up and downer both being dropped 3 times naz won by KO round 4 i think this was Ring magazine fight of the year.

Wilfredo Vasquez:WBA champ who was stripped for fighting Naz Naz won TKO7.

Wayne McCullough:22-1-0 a real good pro Naz basically stud him on his head UD12.

Paul Ingle:21-0 a good pro who went on to win a world title vs Manuel Medina after fighting Naz.Ingle was stopped in 11 rounds after being dropped 3 times.

Cesar Soto:WBC champ it was a scrappy fight but Naz won easily UD12.

Vuyani Bungu:13 defences of his IBF Super bantamweight going into this fight Bungu had never been stopped Naz put on a great display and stopped him in 4 rounds.Bungu was only ever stopped by Naz in all his career.

In theory Naz was the firstfighter to win all 4 major titles WBC/WBA/IBF/WBO he beat all the champs and only lost the titles through being stripped.Apart from the WBA title that he didn't win because Vasquez was stripped but he was the present champ.from 30th September 1995 to 19th August 2000 Naz made 15 world title defences.

I also think Naz shouldn't have been stripped of his MBE as he got it for his sporting achievements not his driving skills but thats my opinion.So my answer is YES he should be in the hall of fame Barry Mcguigan is in it for christ sake.
    Great points, rep headed your way
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    I wouldnt let Hatton or Calzaghe in either

Thread Information