Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Worst cases of Pugilistic dementia

Outside of Jerry Quarry and Ali, Floyd Patterson comes to mind, Joe Frazier, Hearns, Holyfield; Terry Norris was so bad that at a Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing over his pending re-licensing, he could barely form complete sentences.
    I'm sure there are tons of others that come to you guys.
    "et ignotas animum dimittit in artes naturamque nouat" Ovid's Metamorphoses

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Worst cases of Pugilistic dementia

Holyfield really stood out to me, Im a die hard fan of his and I own his career on dvd, which also made me finally realize he has to retire. His post fight interview after the larry donald fight was awful. He said the same thing over and over, umm uhhh well uhh he was uhh he was able to get off before me and uhh you know uhh you know uhhhh. It was very depressing for a holyfield fan to see. But even if he does keep fighting, sadly Ill keep watching.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meldrick Taylor os still licensed to fight. or at least he was after the affects of the chavez fight. may question isnt nessarily why, but how could someone do this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum
    Meldrick Taylor os still licensed to fight. or at least he was after the affects of the chavez fight. may question isnt nessarily why, but how could someone do this?
    I'm not sure that any of the Commissions would let something like that happen again Yeah, that's wishful thinking at best. I was happy about Terry Norris though, he was great in his prime, but his brain got fairly ravaged pretty quickly. There are a few straight-shooters out there though. I think Flip Homansky is a pretty decent guy.
    However, if Holyfield is allowed to lace up gloves again and get in the ring, not only should the sport be indicted, but critics that wanted to repair the ineptitude in the sport like Sen. John McCain should be called to the plate also.
    "et ignotas animum dimittit in artes naturamque nouat" Ovid's Metamorphoses

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum
    I'm not sure that any of the Commissions would let something like that happen again Yeah, that's wishful thinking at best. I was happy about Terry Norris though, he was great in his prime, but his brain got fairly ravaged pretty quickly. There are a few straight-shooters out there though. I think Flip Homansky is a pretty decent guy.
    However, if Holyfield is allowed to lace up gloves again and get in the ring, not only should the sport be indicted, but critics that wanted to repair the ineptitude in the sport like Sen. John McCain should be called to the plate also.
    A lack of State Athletic Commissions/poorly run Commissions, meant States were letting a legally blind in one eye fighter (Aaron Pryor), fight as late as 1990, I have little faith in them.

But also in defence of some of them; USA law means many are allowed to fight, and if the Commissions banned them, they would get their arses sued.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tommy Hearns,Ray Leonard,Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I saw Sandy Sadler at the IBHOF several years ago before he died. Some guy handed him a photo to autograph and he just stared at it. Pretty sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think they need to come up with some sort of regulation about boxers not being allowed to fight.

I can think of a few that should never be allowed in the ring again. Holyfield, Riddiculous Bowe, Thomas Hearns. the list is endless.

I bet most the boxers that are left damaged are those who you don't hear about that are like 14-8 -1 in their careers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Obviously Ali, Frazier, Ken Norton doesn't sound good either but that could be due to his auto accident, sadly Holyfield, Bowe, and................ Toney has been developing quite a stuttering problem lately, saw him on The Best Damn Sports Show Period and he's starting to trip over the verbage a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mucho testosterone
    Obviously Ali, Frazier, Ken Norton doesn't sound good either but that could be due to his auto accident, sadly Holyfield, Bowe, and................ Toney has been developing quite a stuttering problem lately, saw him on The Best Damn Sports Show Period and he's starting to trip over the verbage a little.
    its because he talks fast. its not the same as the other guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Outside of Jerry Quarry and Ali, Floyd Patterson comes to mind, Joe Frazier, Hearns, Holyfield; Terry Norris was so bad that at a Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing over his pending re-licensing, he could barely form complete sentences.
    pugilistic demensia and parkinsons from brain-stem trama and "punch drunk" are different

Ali is not demented & is all there mentaly

Ray robinson & archie moore ...who would forget stuff & walk slow & make low groaning noises and thinking your in teh Ring again ("demented") ospuglistic demensia

Shaking off the hands & everytihng liek ali is parkinsons ..its more unique to ALI

Punch drunk is just Slowed reaction & slurring of language like Holyfeild ,bowe,Meldrick taylor

just wanna make that clear taht some can have one or more of these illnesses but are not the same

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Frazier & holyfeild BY NO MEANS HAVE PUGILISTIC DEMENSIA ..WHICH IS BASICLY MORE LIKE ALSEIHNMERS BUT JUST FROM BOXING

frazier & holyfeild have no such symptonms ....most carreer boxers talk slower or slur some as they progress in there 10+ yrs of boxing

but PUGILISTIC DEMENSIA IS LIKE ALSEIMERS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bukom Bomber
    I think they need to come up with some sort of regulation about boxers not being allowed to fight.

I can think of a few that should never be allowed in the ring again. Holyfield, Riddiculous Bowe, Thomas Hearns. the list is endless.

I bet most the boxers that are left damaged are those who you don't hear about that are like 14-8 -1 in their careers.

tahst nothin you shoudl look on some "boxrec" records ...like 10-56-4 carreers its ridiculas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don’t Think Holyfield qualifies for Pugilistic dementia. . From what I can gather he has passed all his medical exams. Evander has never sounded great from a vocal stand point . He was educated at the school of hard knocks. His only problem is he is getting older. It’s age that is sapping him of the assets that made him a champion - hand eye coordination ,speed and stamina . That being said The man should be allowed to make a living in Boxing . Match him up right and he can build his confidence back . Then put him in there with someone in the top 10. Christ Larry Donald was a bad match make ! Evander is not going to get better if he fights once every 1 ½ years . He need to fight often and against some of the sub pare type boxers that Sam Peter has been fighting lately . For building purposes .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

honestly there have been studies and it comes down to the person....just look around and you will see people walking around with very similar problems as the fighters...and thse people have never fought in their lives!!!!!!!! The fact that they/media exploit it is horrible.....all the fighters you named is less than 20....I see that many everyday at the store.....the dementia, parkinsons(michael j fox) and alzheimers(Ronald Reagan) are as genetic based as the Pugilistic dementia is caused from boxing.... now if a person starts to show sings of this do we stop them? Do we have the right? Lets say some has this and they are not a fighter...do they have to quit whatever job they are doing because that is what obviously caused their problem? all I'm saying is if you do it for the boxers we need to do it for everyone.... when do you stop....when do you determine that someone is starting to show the effects.... I gathered up plenty of this information because none of the gyms in my area wanted to have amateur boxing in them for fear of BRAIN DAMAGE.....I found studies that compared people that had never had a fight compared to fighters that had on average 70 amateur fights and the neurological tests came back the same there was no difference...the only thing that showed up was barely a loss of finger dexterity...what a shock...so all of this is more genetic than pugilistic.....??
    It feels good to be back home.

Thread Information