Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why do boxers wake up at 4:30am in the morning to run?

Weightlifting in the morning is fine

Just means you will have more time to recovery because you got a whole day ahead of you and alot of time before your next workout. Also you can eat alot to help the muscle grow within the day and not just overnight.

Workout 11am:

Have 6 meals throughout the day

11pm: Sleep

Next day:

11am: u train again

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's fine providing you have eaten beforehand and have allowed adequate time for digestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think 1 of the main reasons for getting up that early is discipline,I went through a stage a few months ago at getting up at 05.30,it put me in the right frame of mind for the rest of the days training.The other key point which has been metioned is it ables u to get more training in during the day,and if u go to bed early,your still going to get a good nights sleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boxer1234 View Post
    I realise its a mental strategy to prepare for the fight but couldn't it wait till during the day?

Surely a goodnights sleep is the most important thing!
    I would only get up early to run on SOME days, but not every day.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are lucky. Ask the trainer is the closest I get to training.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    I can't actually answer your question on the subject Sharla but I can offer a theory.

The Irish rugby team (who flunked so spectacularly in the last world cup) always do their weight training in the morning.

I believe if weight training is done in the morning, the muscle ios more likely to wear and tear, perhaps even depreciate during later sessions that day, even if they take supplementation.

If weight trainiung is done at night, you've got a long rest period and supplements will not be consumed by anything over the night assuming they have a big glucose meal before bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    There are pros and cons to both really. Training first thing in the morning can be bad as the intesnity of the work out may suffer. Weight training first thing on a morning without eating beforehand is is also a bad idea....for pretty much the same reason as running is, except the aim of weight-training is presumably to build muscle. So clearly, weight-training on an empty stomach would be a bad idea.

The problem with training late at night can be the fact that you are likely to go to bed without a proper post workout nutrition plan. Glycogen stores are likely to be quite low, so if you don't have enough stored gylcogen to meet basic energy needs while you are sleeping, you will most likely sacrifice muscle as this will be broken down and used for fuel.

One of the most important components of a weight lifting programme is to have adequate pre-workout and post workout nutrition plans in place. So the best time to weight-train would ideally be around 2-3 hours after a high carbohydrate (low GI) meal, and to have the workout finished at least 3-5 hours before going to bed. The 3-5 hours are important as this gives you adequate time to replenish glycogen stores. Aim to eat around 1g carbs per kg of bodyweight, every 1-2 hours for a maximum of 5 hours.

So the average 70kg athlete would require 70g of carbs every 1-2 hours after intense training. Remember that everybody is different so it may be necessary to lower the 70g figure, if fat gain becomes a problem. However this is quite unlikely if glycogen stores are depleted quite substantially. Trial and error may be required to find out what works best for you.

I think it's about weighing up the pros and cons of the sitaution really. If weight reaining can only be fit in late at night then it's still better than not doing it all. If you weight-train in the morning, it's definitely a good idea to eat a high carbohydrate meal beforehand (with some protein).

I'm going into post-workout nutrition a bit later on today in my thread anyway for those who are interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    I have always done my weight training in the morning, but i always eat an hour and a half before. I feel like i have more energy then (as opposed to after a long day at work).

I also like it because then i have the whole day to eat, rest and recover knowing that i have done what i needed to do for the day. Then i will do some cardio later in the day.

It always makes me feel better after a morning workout, and i feel it energizes me for the rest of the day. On those days when i feel slugish or tired a good workout can really give me a boost.
    I have always done my weight training in the morning, but i always eat an hour and a half before. I feel like i have more energy then (as opposed to after a long day at work).

I also like it because then i have the whole day to eat, rest and recover knowing that i have done what i needed to do for the day. Then i will do some cardio later in the day.

It always makes me feel better after a morning workout, and i feel it energizes me for the rest of the day. On those days when i feel slugish or tired a good workout can really give me a boost.
    The upside of training quite early is the fact that you have the rest of the day to work with in regards to glycogen replenishment. Definitely good idea to eat beforehand....like you do.
    Thanks and rep to you all for answering (sorry Donny have to spread it still) -

I'm wondering if since glycogen stores are mentioned a lot here and that's replentished mostly by simple and complex carbohydrates that is suited to aerobic morning trainings? I mean glycogen utilized more in aerobic exercise surely?

Yet muscle repair is obvisouly a big thing for weights and that requires protein. So if you're being fairly strict diet wise and limiting carbs at night then you can still consume enough protein to make sure you recover from a weights session with less risk of consuming excess carbs and having difficulty staying lean?

Also werman I'm wondering if you generally prefer weights to cardio too? I will do weight training but secretly don't really like it even a 10th as much as I like cardio training. Maybe the reason I like cardio training more (or because I like it more) is because I naturally recover from it quickly.

I have a lightish build and being female also will not have the same capacity to build muscle etc so it takes more out of me? Maybe what suits best is sometimes an individual thing? I know larger bulky guys will often find running and cardio less comfortable for example?

Anyway I'm still nutting out how all these things fit together and will need to reread all your posts at some stage so thanks for the input!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    I can't actually answer your question on the subject Sharla but I can offer a theory.

The Irish rugby team (who flunked so spectacularly in the last world cup) always do their weight training in the morning.

I believe if weight training is done in the morning, the muscle ios more likely to wear and tear, perhaps even depreciate during later sessions that day, even if they take supplementation.

If weight trainiung is done at night, you've got a long rest period and supplements will not be consumed by anything over the night assuming they have a big glucose meal before bed.
    There are pros and cons to both really. Training first thing in the morning can be bad as the intesnity of the work out may suffer. Weight training first thing on a morning without eating beforehand is is also a bad idea....for pretty much the same reason as running is, except the aim of weight-training is presumably to build muscle. So clearly, weight-training on an empty stomach would be a bad idea.

The problem with training late at night can be the fact that you are likely to go to bed without a proper post workout nutrition plan. Glycogen stores are likely to be quite low, so if you don't have enough stored gylcogen to meet basic energy needs while you are sleeping, you will most likely sacrifice muscle as this will be broken down and used for fuel.

One of the most important components of a weight lifting programme is to have adequate pre-workout and post workout nutrition plans in place. So the best time to weight-train would ideally be around 2-3 hours after a high carbohydrate (low GI) meal, and to have the workout finished at least 3-5 hours before going to bed. The 3-5 hours are important as this gives you adequate time to replenish glycogen stores. Aim to eat around 1g carbs per kg of bodyweight, every 1-2 hours for a maximum of 5 hours.

So the average 70kg athlete would require 70g of carbs every 1-2 hours after intense training. Remember that everybody is different so it may be necessary to lower the 70g figure, if fat gain becomes a problem. However this is quite unlikely if glycogen stores are depleted quite substantially. Trial and error may be required to find out what works best for you.

I think it's about weighing up the pros and cons of the sitaution really. If weight reaining can only be fit in late at night then it's still better than not doing it all. If you weight-train in the morning, it's definitely a good idea to eat a high carbohydrate meal beforehand (with some protein).

I'm going into post-workout nutrition a bit later on today in my thread anyway for those who are interested.

The upside of training quite early is the fact that you have the rest of the day to work with in regards to glycogen replenishment. Definitely good idea to eat beforehand....like you do.

I'm wondering if since glycogen stores are mentioned a lot here and that's replentished mostly by simple and complex carbohydrates that is suited to aerobic morning trainings? I mean glycogen utilized more in aerobic exercise surely?

Yet muscle repair is obvisouly a big thing for weights and that requires protein. So if you're being fairly strict diet wise and limiting carbs at night then you can still consume enough protein to make sure you recover from a weights session with less risk of consuming excess carbs and having difficulty staying lean?

Also werman I'm wondering if you generally prefer weights to cardio too? I will do weight training but secretly don't really like it even a 10th as much as I like cardio training. Maybe the reason I like cardio training more (or because I like it more) is because I naturally recover from it quickly.

I have a lightish build and being female also will not have the same capacity to build muscle etc so it takes more out of me? Maybe what suits best is sometimes an individual thing? I know larger bulky guys will often find running and cardio less comfortable for example?

Anyway I'm still nutting out how all these things fit together and will need to reread all your posts at some stage so thanks for the input!
    Generally speaking, the higher the exercise intensity, the greater the reliance on muscle glycogen.

During anaerobic exercise (sprints, heavy weight-training etc...) muscle gylcogen , rather than fat, is the major fuel.

During aerobic exercise, you will use a mixture of muslce glycogen and fat, for fuel. Exercise at a low intensity is fulled mainly by fat. As the exercise increases, you will begin to use a higher proportion of muscle glycogen than fat. Moderate intensity exercise (50-70 % volume max), muscle glycogen supplies about half of fuel...the rest coming from fat. If your intensity exceeds about 70% max effort, fat cannot be broken down and transported fast enough to meet energy needs, so muscle gylcogen provides at least 75% ish of your energy needs.

Carbohydrates at night is a debatable subject. If muscle glycogen levels are low because you haven't re-fuelled sufficiently, fat gain is not an issue. Consumed carbohydrates will go to replenishing glycogen levels. Fat gain is only a worry if glycogen levels are full and you continue to consume carbohydrate during a period where they aren't required for exercise.

Protein is important for muscle repair but the guidelines provided in fitness magazines/websites etc... that tell you to eat ludicrous amounts of protein are misinformed. An absolute maximum of 2g per kg bodyweight should be consumed daily. Excess protein cannot be stored, therefore it must be broken down into waste products. Each amino acid has an amino group and an acid group. The amino group contains nitrogen, which is first converted to ammonia, then to urea where it passes from the liver to the kidneys...where it is pee'd out. The acid group is converted to carbohydrate and used for energy. Any excess will be stored as bodyfat.

You will not recover from a weight-training session by limiting carbohydrate. Eventually protein will have to be broken down and used for fuel as there will be a lack of muscle glycogen.

I think people get worried about consuming carbohydrates because of all the fad diets out there. I was reading today about a swimmer in the olympics who consumes 12,000 cals a day. That's a lot, and he has very low bodyfat levels.

If you're exercising daily and intensely carbohydrates are very important.

Anyway i'm not even sure if i've answered your questions...i've just ranted. Anyway hope you find it quite helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Generally speaking, the higher the exercise intensity, the greater the reliance on muscle glycogen.

During anaerobic exercise (sprints, heavy weight-training etc...) muscle gylcogen , rather than fat, is the major fuel.

During aerobic exercise, you will use a mixture of muslce glycogen and fat, for fuel. Exercise at a low intensity is fulled mainly by fat. As the exercise increases, you will begin to use a higher proportion of muscle glycogen than fat. Moderate intensity exercise (50-70 % volume max), muscle glycogen supplies about half of fuel...the rest coming from fat. If your intensity exceeds about 70% max effort, fat cannot be broken down and transported fast enough to meet energy needs, so muscle gylcogen provides at least 75% ish of your energy needs.

Carbohydrates at night is a debatable subject. If muscle glycogen levels are low because you haven't re-fuelled sufficiently, fat gain is not an issue. Consumed carbohydrates will go to replenishing glycogen levels. Fat gain is only a worry if glycogen levels are full and you continue to consume carbohydrate during a period where they aren't required for exercise.

Protein is important for muscle repair but the guidelines provided in fitness magazines/websites etc... that tell you to eat ludicrous amounts of protein are misinformed. An absolute maximum of 2g per kg bodyweight should be consumed daily. Excess protein cannot be stored, therefore it must be broken down into waste products. Each amino acid has an amino group and an acid group. The amino group contains nitrogen, which is first converted to ammonia, then to urea where it passes from the liver to the kidneys...where it is pee'd out. The acid group is converted to carbohydrate and used for energy. Any excess will be stored as bodyfat.

You will not recover from a weight-training session by limiting carbohydrate. Eventually protein will have to be broken down and used for fuel as there will be a lack of muscle glycogen.

I think people get worried about consuming carbohydrates because of all the fad diets out there. I was reading today about a swimmer in the olympics who consumes 12,000 cals a day. That's a lot, and he has very low bodyfat levels.

Anyway i'm not even sure if i've answered your questions...i've just ranted. Anyway hope you find it quite helpful.
    Very interesting thanks Ono

You have answered my Qs I think. I don't know why I always assumed aerobic exercise would burn more glycogen - maybe because running tends to burn a lot of kilojules compared to weight training etc. Maybe I think that it will be more likely to empty glycogen stores in one session than weights - could that have any relevance?

I actually really got a lot out of your post though - wanted to rep you but I have to spread it!

Glad you started sharing all this thanks!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have answered my Qs I think. I don't know why I always assumed aerobic exercise would burn more glycogen - maybe because running tends to burn a lot of kilojules compared to weight training etc. Maybe I think that it will be more likely to empty glycogen stores in one session than weights - could that have any relevance?

I actually really got a lot out of your post though - wanted to rep you but I have to spread it!

While the intensity of aerobic exercise is constant, the intensity is not so great that fat cannot be used for fuel.

Whereas in any exercise where you exceed 70% of maximum intensity, fat cannot be borken down and transported quick enough to meet energy demands...therefore Glycogen will provide your energy requirements.

So yeah running (for the same length of time as a weights session) will more likely burn more calories as fat can be used as a fuel and obviously fats are more calorie dense than carbohydrates (1gram fat = 9 cals / 1gram carbs = 4 cals). Again it does depend on the intensity....but in general that's what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While the intensity of aerobic exercise is constant, the intensity is not so great that fat cannot be used for fuel.

Whereas in any exercise where you exceed 70% of maximum intensity, fat cannot be borken down and transported quick enough to meet energy demands...therefore Glycogen will provide your energy requirements.

So yeah running (for the same length of time as a weights session) will more likely burn more calories as fat can be used as a fuel and obviously fats are more calorie dense than carbohydrates (1gram fat = 9 cals / 1gram carbs = 4 cals). Again it does depend on the intensity....but in general that's what happens.
    But don't you only burn fat at much lower intensities than the average run?

I mean I swear I've read in many running mags that you need to sort of 'train' your body to burn fat for fuel for long distance events because it will still preferentially burn glycogen and carbohydrates initially - it doesn't require as much energy to break them down as it does for fat.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But don't you only burn fat at much lower intensities than the average run?

I mean I swear I've read in many running mags that you need to sort of 'train' your body to burn fat for fuel for long distance events because it will still preferentially burn glycogen and carbohydrates initially - it doesn't require as much energy to break them down as it does for fat.
    I'd class the average run as moderate intensity, maybe around 50-70% maximum effort would be required. Is that fair? Or would you say it's more intense?

If this is the case muscle gylcogen will will supply around half of your energy needs, the rest will come from fat. So you will still be burning fat, along with glycogen at a 50-50 ish rate.

In regards to 'training' your body to burn even more fat, as a result of aerobic training, your muscles make adaptations that improve your performance....and your body's ability to use fat for fuel improves.

Aerobic training increases the number of fat oxidising enzymes, which means your body becomes more efficient in breaking down fats into fatty acids. The number of blood capillaries serving the muscle also increases so you can transport the fatty acids to the muscle cells. The number of mitochondria also increase...(the sites where fatty acids are oxidised) so all in all you have an even greater capacity for burning fat.

Since i started studying for my diploma i've sorta fallen out with magazines. Never realised how the information was holding me back in the gym...untill i started my diploma - and started applying the proper principles.

Pissed me off that i'd wasted an awful lot of time and money buying into bad ideas that weren't backed up by any kind of science. I get the feeling that a lot of fitness magazines work off the back of 'what works for me' sorta articles...that way when it doesn't work for you they can justify it by saying 'everybody's different'.
    Last edited by ono; 08-19-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added last paragraph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually like both weights and cardio. I really enjoy riding a bike, but running kicks my ass.

The reason i like lifting weights more is because i see better results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have read from a few different places that high intensity still yields better fat loss though even though your not burning as much fat as you are using carbohydrates as energy?

Something about the fact that you may only be using fat as 20% of the energy source, but you may be burning 3x as much energy in the same time period. How does this part work?
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Early morning runs have a lot going for them. Discipline is one as you must go to bed early to do them, the atmosphere is better then - I remember Steve Moneghetti the Australian marathon runner saying the Kenyans would taunt him saying if he didnt passive smoke and put up with so much pollution he would be up there with them.

I'm old and whenever i trained I used to run early morning (usually 5am), all the trainers said it was the thing to do. I just did it. Since it has been -3 degrees celcius here some mornings i just stay in bed and i'm not training for anything i get up much later.

The thing i've always found about early morning runs followed by a good breakfast is that it sets you up for a good day of training. You go to bed early the night before, get up early and it establishes a good base for any other traininig you do that day. The old guy's here expect you to have done it when you get to the gym. Then you build on that with the gym work. Sorry if it's not so scientific.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I have read from a few different places that high intensity still yields better fat loss though even though your not burning as much fat as you are using carbohydrates as energy?

Something about the fact that you may only be using fat as 20% of the energy source, but you may be burning 3x as much energy in the same time period. How does this part work?
    Yeah that's true.

Percentage of fat shouldn't be confused with total amount of fat. As i sit here typing this message, the majority of the energy i am using will be sourced from fat...but it doesn't mean i'm buring an awful lot of it.

So yeah, what you have read is true.

Thread Information