Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default newbie what bag to get/ punching basics

Hi everyone! (hope this is the correct forum to post in, i apologize if its not) I know very little about boxing and would like to get into the sport. I have been looking around different forums, and articles online, and it looks like it requires a lot of skill which that i am excited to learn. if you guys have any recommendations on some good books that will teach the skills (like correct body formation) and all the basics that would be much appreciated.

now for the questions. I would like to buy a punching bag to get started with unless there is something else you guys would recommend. from the searching i did i found it looks like some bags like 100lb ones can shatter your wrists if you don't know how to punch it correctly. So my question is what is a good bag to get started with and what is the correct way to punch it?

thanks for any info, please tell me anything you think would be important to know/do like i said i no basicly nothing about boxing am excited to learn! thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: newbie what bag to get?

Quote Originally Posted by spedridr
    Hi everyone! (hope this is the correct forum to post in, i apologize if its not) I know very little about boxing and would like to get into the sport. I have been looking around different forums, and articles online, and it looks like it requires a lot of skill which that i am excited to learn. if you guys have any recommendations on some good books that will teach the skills (like correct body formation) and all the basics that would be much appreciated.

now for the questions. I would like to buy a punching bag to get started with unless there is something else you guys would recommend. from the searching i did i found it looks like some bags like 100lb ones can shatter your wrists if you don't know how to punch it correctly. So my question is what is a good bag to get started with and what is the correct way to punch it?

thanks for any info, please tell me anything you think would be important to know/do like i said i no basicly nothing about boxing am excited to learn! thank you
    books arent nearly as helpful as watching the pros and seeing how it is done in motion.

there are several types of punching bags. do you mean a heavy bag?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yes, sorry i meant what weight bag is good to start out with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by spedridr
    yes, sorry i meant what weight bag is good to start out with?
    i would say go for a water based one if you can afford if you do the weight reall wont matter on that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey for a book i would strongly recomend that you get the ultimate boxer its got every thing you wanna know and more its great. and for a bag a 70-80lb one should do. whats your hight and weight that will help determain also

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks for the book advise, sounds like somthing i was looking for to read killing time at work. i'm 6'1 and like 155 (yea i'm a skinny ass)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: newbie what bag to get/ punching basics

so if i were to get a 70lb bad, would you advise me to wear gloves? if i dont use gloves is that how people shatter their wrists? is there a correct way to punch a bad? thanks for putting up with all my newb questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gloves and wrist wraps are advised to be worn for your own protection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you dont use gloves you can get scard up hands. And without out tape you'll likely jam your wrists which is no fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ringside.com have a very good selection of bags to look from and a very good information page about the difference between bags and their uses. Also where you are now (saddoboxing) have a good page for beginners which has all the basic punches and how to do them.. Check it out. I think there is also some other links that outline the punching basics on here as well if you have a look around..
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To answer very quickly, people shatter their wrists by punching incorrectly. Make sure you're wrists are straight, so all the energy from the impact of the bag pass right through them into your forearms. If you hit the bag with limp or bent wrists, all the impact goes directly to the wrists and wreaks havoc on all those tiny little bones in there.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks thats the answer i was looking for. i must be blind because i am looking all over the webpage and cannot find the page for beginners?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

up nevermind found the learn to bobx tab on the front page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

also have a look on ringside.com I can't remember where I found it on there, but they have a manual on one of their pages for download.. It's a .pdf & is quite large file size, but is good to print out for a quick reference when picking up the basics. If you can't find it, let me know & i'll stop being so lazy and provide a link for it.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Bellady
    Gloves and wrist wraps are advised to be worn for your own protection
    Definetly, in my early days i use to wear just gloves and no wraps, when i bought the wraps after like 3 years of not using them, i saw a major difference, well my wrists wernt constantly hurting and it basically stopped most of the pain.

not using gloves at all and going barefist is just crazy

Thread Information