Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
If your left hand is held lower like in the picture, then to your opponent it'll look like a big invitation for right hands. That's good for you because there's a number of ways you can defend against it, as well as following up with a counter. For one you can slip it making it travel on the outside of your shoulder, or you can roll/turn your body as to deflecting their punch to the right of your left shoulder, keeping your chin tucked into your shoulder while shifting your weight on to your right leg. This is a nifty move because your at the same time you're loading up your right hand. Countering now with your right hand is even perfect because you can thow it with all power, and your opponent's momentum from his missed right means he's going to be in a head on collision with your fist. You can even throw a right uppercut off this counter too towards their chin or solar-plexus.
This paragraph is basically an example of what Floyd does. Isnt it??
This isn't alluding to Floyd, but yeah, this is what Floyd does, and does well. There's many other examples to, to drop a few more names onto the one's that I've mentioned, take a look at George Benton, and then go back and look at McCallum and Toney and the great old timers putting it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
yes.. floyd always turns his left shoulder in, almost turning sideways, and counters with the right.. or a left hook.. or keeps rolling..

anyone who can shoulder roll like toney or floyd is extremely gifted as far as i'm concerned.. i've had a hard time practicing it even.
The thing about this is it should almost be a reaction to an opponent's commited right, rather than something that follows a tip off as in other counters. Floyd has it down to a conditioned reflex towards right hands. It does require practice. It can be done-- assuming you have everything else in order to begin with.