1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shoulder Rolling

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    If your left hand is held lower like in the picture, then to your opponent it'll look like a big invitation for right hands. That's good for you because there's a number of ways you can defend against it, as well as following up with a counter. For one you can slip it making it travel on the outside of your shoulder, or you can roll/turn your body as to deflecting their punch to the right of your left shoulder, keeping your chin tucked into your shoulder while shifting your weight on to your right leg. This is a nifty move because your at the same time you're loading up your right hand. Countering now with your right hand is even perfect because you can thow it with all power, and your opponent's momentum from his missed right means he's going to be in a head on collision with your fist. You can even throw a right uppercut off this counter too towards their chin or solar-plexus.
    This paragraph is basically an example of what Floyd does. Isnt it??
    This isn't alluding to Floyd, but yeah, this is what Floyd does, and does well. There's many other examples to, to drop a few more names onto the one's that I've mentioned, take a look at George Benton, and then go back and look at McCallum and Toney and the great old timers putting it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    yes.. floyd always turns his left shoulder in, almost turning sideways, and counters with the right.. or a left hook.. or keeps rolling..

anyone who can shoulder roll like toney or floyd is extremely gifted as far as i'm concerned.. i've had a hard time practicing it even.
    The thing about this is it should almost be a reaction to an opponent's commited right, rather than something that follows a tip off as in other counters. Floyd has it down to a conditioned reflex towards right hands. It does require practice. It can be done-- assuming you have everything else in order to begin with.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is no beauty to it Chris,its not only off balance the jab wont have an ounce of power,and every shot from the left will be telegraphed
    There's a reason nobody fights from that stance anymore

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look at his Head and where it is, its perfect to make the rest of the body move without moving itself. Perfect Oral Stability
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by canary View Post
    this stance and positioning of the hands invite a wide array of attacks from your opponent. an overright hand, looping hooks, and long and swing uppers. you cant possibly defend yourself well using this.
    That's the beauty of it. It invites whoever goes up against it to throw everything including the kitchen sink. Although he looks open in everyway open, in reality he's isn't. I know that this is hard to believe being that today's accepted stance is the hands up on the cheeks (or higher), arms bolted tight to the body, body hunched over, chin tucked and standing square to your opponent. Now what this sadly leads to is a perpetual state of blocking when your hands could be used much more proactively, say jabbing, feinting, capitalizing on opportunities as well as creating them. This is harder to do when your arms are commited to blocking, you can see this is a problem with Jeff Lacey and even more recently Joshua Clottey.
    inviting attacks from any conceivable angle is not really a good idea in boxing, especially if youre up against a well-rounded fighter who can deliver punches on almost all directions, throw them in volume, and operate with superior footworks.

(see barrera - hamed) damn! im still figuring out how to embed youtube vids.

hamed has his left hand low all through-out the fight. reason? his gameplan was obviously to lure barrera to come inside, trade punches with him and force (or wait) barrera to commit a mistake along the way. but it never happened. what came from barrera were looping right hooks that rarely (or never?) missed the target. it costed him the fight.

we all know what kind of a fighter hamed was. hes capable of throwing big punches from odd angles and he can end a fight with just a punch. youre idea of shoulder rolling off that loughran stance fits perfectly to hameds style. but against somebody who moves in and out pretty well and throws volumes of strong punches from any angles like barrera, it was a bad idea. i dont think using a very open stance is a good way to start your rolling. you cant possibly trap a Level A opponent with your head and body all open.

now, a great trap and roll is what thomas hearns has shown the world of boxing. left hands low and swinging back and forth and left and right (for quick hard jabs he could throw in different angles) and a killer right hand up to cover the chin/head wc was always ready to deliver the kill. he always held his left hand low to invite an opponent to come inside. and once they were in his range, theyre dead. and if they managed to survive the killer right and succesfully closed the gap, hearns would just roll away from their range. hearns always got away with that stance precisely because his body and head from the right side were all well covered and his opponents had only one side/angle to exploit with (the left side with the left hand low). was this effective against fighters of all styles? the answer was the two leonard fights and the duran fight.

its good to leave certain parts of your body/head open as a trap, but to leave your body all open is not really a good idea. its not even a trap to begin with.

now, lets look at the stance of joe louis. similar to that lougran stance save for the hands that are positioned relatively higher. his right hand up to cover the chin, and his left hand a little low to block jabs, body shots and uppers. louis was a master of oppense-oriented shoulder roll. the positioning of the feet and the hands were perfectly designed to economize movements, exploit the rooms, keep opponents within striking range, prevent them from using lateral movements to box him out and most of all, allow him to close the gap for his killer compact hooks and uppers.

Normally you don't have to close the gap in order for the shoulder roll to work. To do it effectively you do however have to make your opponent commit to their right hand, it's even better if they have to step in or reach to try to hit you. What Thomas pointed out to me is that the right is a natural counter for a right (likewise how a left hook is also naturally countered by a left hook). As you roll the punch to the inside you're right hand is loaded while you have the added bonus of hitting them while they're coming forward.
    shoulder roll comes in two. one was going along with the punch to lessen its impact or to avoid getting hit by that punch, the other was working your way besides and under the punches and jabs while closing the gap for your offensives. tyson and dempsey were masters of this. joe frazier and rocky marciano were honorable mentions. moving in while ducking punches and throwing killer uppers and hooks when the gap is closed. again, you cant possible pull-off the offense-oriented shoulder roll with youre body and head wide open.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    There is no beauty to it Chris,its not only off balance the jab wont have an ounce of power,and every shot from the left will be telegraphed
    There's a reason nobody fights from that stance anymore
    His balance is fine, and with a slight twist of his hips shoulder he'd hit you a hard jab too. A lot of fighters make the mistake of putting their weight on their front leg (or bad posture to begin with) when trying to reach, this often puts them off balance and susceptable to counters. I assure you, he was not hindered in anyway besides the fact that he had bad hands.

Yeah, there's a reason why nobody fights in that stance anymore, it's all because no body teaches it anymore. If Charlie Burley, Benny Leonard and the like fought the way that a lot of guys fight today they would have had short and obscure careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Look at his Head and where it is, its perfect to make the rest of the body move without moving itself. Perfect Oral Stability
    His head is out of the way, and not tucked forward and into his breast bone. He got a good view of the action, and could move with grace. With his head being back where it is, he's hard to hit with a jab.

Reply to Canary: He's not going to just stand there so you could hit him, and his defense isn't at all as flawed as you think. His left arm wasn't dangling at his side, it was in a good position to jab from, and he could bring it back to protect body if the need arose. His right hand guarded his solar-plexus, and no matter what kind of looping/left hook that you could throw at him it probably wouldn't get through unless you had a very clever set up. His narrow stance, slight crouch and lean increased distance. Add the rising jab that his lowered hands entitled, along with circling and he could control distance. Standing at a slant to his opponent leaning slightly to the right (away from the opponent's right hand) he could easily slip, and shoulder roll with impunity.

Circling right, offering non-commital jabs, while under this stance he forced his opponents to fight his fight. you're pretty much limited to throwing ineffective jabs at him, and reaching with the right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by canary
    shoulder roll comes in two. one was going along with the punch to lessen its impact or to avoid getting hit by that punch, the other was working your way besides and under the punches and jabs while closing the gap for your offensives. tyson and dempsey were masters of this. joe frazier and rocky marciano were honorable mentions. moving in while ducking punches and throwing killer uppers and hooks when the gap is closed. again, you cant possible pull-off the offense-oriented shoulder roll with youre body and head wide open.
    You're confusing the shoulder roll with rolling with a punch. It's more than avoiding a punch as you are pushing their right hand to the side with your shoulder (kind of like a parry), you don't use it to lessen the impact of punch either. If you get hit with a right hand on your cheek and roll with it to lessen the impact, then you're rolling with the punch which is different to shoulder rolling. You can't shoulder roll while standing square, with your hands high, Loughran's stance helps draw an opponent's right hand which is essential to shoulder rolling. Make them commit to a particular punch and then good luck.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Still disagree, his shoulders arent over his knees,he's out of round

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Reply to Canary: He's not going to just stand there so you could hit him, and his defense isn't at all as flawed as you think. His left arm wasn't dangling at his side, it was in a good position to jab from, and he could bring it back to protect body if the need arose. His right hand guarded his solar-plexus, and no matter what kind of looping/left hook that you could throw at him it probably wouldn't get through unless you had a very clever set up. His narrow stance, slight crouch and lean increased distance. Add the rising jab that his lowered hands entitled, along with circling and he could control distance. Standing at a slant to his opponent leaning slightly to the right (away from the opponent's right hand) he could easily slip, and shoulder roll with impunity.

Just to reinforce Chris' point.

If you take an athlete to the gym, teach them the stance and defences then ask them to jab, thats where the punch will come from.
    It's the most natural and comfortable position.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Little story,National squad Training. One of my Boys Sparring with a good Fighter, now my Kid Boxed Hands low like Tommy and was Schooling the other Kid. The National Coach said Scrap youve got to get his Hands up, whys that was my reply. He will get Hit said the coach, I said the other guy is getting the shit Beat out of Him with His Hands up. His reply for a Head Coach was classic, Youve got a point there, and walked off. One point you do what suites you if its successfull if not get it changed. Plus if you Box with your Hands up you are waiting to get Hit usually, bad Habit
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Little story,National squad Training. One of my Boys Sparring with a good Fighter, now my Kid Boxed Hands low like Tommy and was Schooling the other Kid. The National Coach said Scrap youve got to get his Hands up, whys that was my reply. He will get Hit said the coach, I said the other guy is getting the shit Beat out of Him with His Hands up. His reply for a Head Coach was classic, Youve got a point there, and walked off. One point you do what suites you if its successfull if not get it changed. Plus if you Box with your Hands up you are waiting to get Hit usually, bad Habit
    Easier to throw if your hands are lower.

A clever trainer taught me that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a reason I prefer a staggered hand approach,vision and being able to block anything coming

Thread Information