Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Only 1 medal for the US

This is very depressing I had high hopes for Andrade,Warren and Wilder but it look's that Wilder will be the only one to walk away with a bronze thus far. The man he is fighting next like's very beatable I think Deontay will that fight after that it's the Cuban or Russian.

Besides the horrible scoring everyone is talking about. I think US boxing is in trouble.What Teddy Atlas and Bob Papa were talking about would be true.If the US team would bring an outsider in to teach these fighter's and to stop being so dependant on their old coaches for advice rather than man in front of them teaching them. Why is it that Deontay Wilder is getting a medal and is the least expierenced in the olympics because he's the only fighter who is listenening to his trainer in the Olympics. We heard it in the corner yesterday.Andrade just kind of nodded and said yes yes yes.Where as Wilder looked at his trainer dead in the eyes and just listenend. I believe this is the reason we are losing so badly these last few years. What do you think.

10 miles from Manchester, 6 miles from Bolton
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Only 1 medal for the US

Surprised at how bad the US team have done

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Communication seems to be a huge issue with the US squad, even leading up to the Olympics everything seemed incredibly haphazard. It really looks like they didn't train to the Olympic rules, just general training.

Really dissapointed with the showing, there is definately talent there, but the focus is not. Ironically the guy everyone was expecting to be out in the first round (Wilder) is having the most success.

Definately need to restructure this thing more for London 2012.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think our Olympic canoeists are doing great.

None have gone missing so far.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the vast majority of boxing gyms that American fighters start training, Olympic boxing is a bit looked down on. I've been told by trainers "I teach real boxing, pro-style." I think in most gyms, there is an emphasis on pro-style fighting, yeah, when they climb the amateur ranks and get the international level, they are at a disadvantage to teams who train their fighters from the start develop styles that result in better scoring with international rules.

Fightfan brings up a good point that the least experienced guy probably listens better. A lot of these guys have a chance to be much better pros than amateurs and a lot of the metal winners won't ever do anything at the pro level.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by plopeater View Post
    Surprised at how bad the US team have done
    I'm not at all surprised ever since Mayweather Jr. was an amateur everyone tried to copy that bullshit style of his and it makes not only for piss poor boxing when people other than Floyd try it but it makes for piss poor boxers!

The slapping and pitterpat bullcrap our amateurs have to use to get wins is 100% the reason America can't develop proper amateur fighters.

Look at the Americans in the pro ranks today...the fighters with tons of amateur experience Domonick Guinn, Jermain Taylor, Jeff Lacy, Andre Ward, and Rocky Juarez vs the guys with little amateur experience Arreola, Chambers, Kelly Pavlik, The Peterson's, Chad Dawson, Paul Williams, Tavoris Cloud.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Peterson's had little amateur experience They both were top ranked amateurs and both favored to make the Olympic Squad but both lost in the box offs. Dawson too has a national title and had a good record but turned pro very young. I don't know the full extent of it but Pavlik wasn't a bad amateur either I know he went to the US championships which I believe is where Jermain Taylor beat him.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You Americans should count your blessings. Our (canadian) only guy got massacred!

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    The Peterson's had little amateur experience They both were top ranked amateurs and both favored to make the Olympic Squad but both lost in the box offs. Dawson too has a national title and had a good record but turned pro very young. I don't know the full extent of it but Pavlik wasn't a bad amateur either I know he went to the US championships which I believe is where Jermain Taylor beat him.
    Pavlik was 89-9 ....not a lot of experience when compared to Guinn's 290-26 or Lacy's 209-12

Lamont and Anthony had bigger amateur records but no Olympics.

Chad Dawson's record was 67-13

So I fail to see where you think you are correct

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Comparing amateur boxing to pro boxing is like comparing Arena football to the NFL. It's almost 2 completely different sports.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You said the Petersons had little amateur experience, that's where you were wrong. To say that most of those guys had little amateur experience is being naiive. The Olympics isn't the end all, the Petersons had just as much international competition as anyone on the Olympic team. The other guys had a bunch of competition at the national level too. Maybe not Cloud (I don't know) or Williams but I'm pretty sure all those other guys have plenty of amateur experience unless not going to the Olympics or having 200 fights means you have "little amateur experience."

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by match View Post
    Comparing amateur boxing to pro boxing is like comparing Arena football to the NFL. It's almost 2 completely different sports.
    Kind of but also totally different because being a good amateur boxer is supposed to make you a better pro boxer (as has been proven by history)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

More to the point. The amateur system in the US just needs to be completely overhauled. Boxing isn't a team sport, you don't have to put these guys and make them conform to one coach in order to work together like you would basketball or soccer. Dan Campbell is more drill sargaent then boxing trainer and this has been known for a very long time. There is no reason to bring these guys together under one house and not let them work with their trainers who have been with them all their life. It's just a fundamentally flawed system.

Unfortunately, the only way the team is going to get any money is if that there work can be monitored so they should just let all the individual trainers in house. That's 11 trainers. Also, they need to push back their qualifiers so you don't get any more Gary Russell incidents.

I don't think it has to do with the pitter pat style, I just don't see it. Most of those pitter pat artists have been eliminated now. It's a lot better to watch towards the end and I still don't think that can be blamed for all their failures over the last 12 years. There are plenty of good pros who were great international amateurs, if you are good enough it doesn't matter the style you can win. There is no reason Raushee Warren or Andrade should have lost those bouts, the Olympic style didn't work against them they did. Oh well I was a bit heartbroken at both as I've been following both for quite some time.

As Killer Sheep said, the one guy from this squad people counted out was Wilder and look what he's done. And that's me included, I was never impressed with him and still think he's taking advantage of a weak draw but plenty of guys had weak draws and he's the only one to do something with it.

I really hope De La Hoya can get this turned around. Campbell has got to go and will go, there is just no way he sticks around. I think they just provide conditioning coaches and all the back the team needs and give the option for the trainers to join them in Colorado Springs because they might get away from Campbell but they won't get away from Colorado Springs. If the trainers don't go, they need to sign their fighters to whoever will be training them instead of undermining the other coaches' efforts. Instruct their fighters to listen to the trainers at the grounds, because people blame the fighters for not listening but that's just as much on the trainers back home as it is the fighters.

Bit devastated, I was really looking for these to be a rebound games for America but it's probably better that it's not, it'll get the program rebuilt and hopefully rebuilt correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holyfield had some interesting things to say about the squad, i must look out that article.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont know how they work in the States. But somethings happened and not for the better. Years ago there was a conveyor belt, its stopped. Having said that the Amatuer game now is so far removed from the Pros, as someone said its Fencing with Gumshields, no flair is ecouraged. Im finding it hard to watch. Have the numbers doing it dried up in America.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information