Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: No change in the ruling of Thompson-Arvin?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default No change in the ruling of Thompson-Arvin?

For those of you in the FNF crew you will remember the judging that Anthony Thompson whose eye caused a ruling of TKO for Arvin.

Watching the replay referee Malik Waleed admitted that it was clearly from a headbutt and because of such would have gone to the cards where Thompson should have been the clear winner. Waleed who had originally called the cut was caused by a punch then called in the members of the Washington D.C. Boxing & Wrestling Commission, to watch the replay video where they all agreed it was clearly from a headbutt after Joe Tessitor and Shannon Briggs played the replay multiple times. The commission moved the decision back to Waleed, where he stated "I cannot go back in time" and despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary he adhered to his original call that it was a punch that caused the cut and ruled a TKO for Arvin.

Now that we are up to speed has anyone heard any updates? Or is this farce going to stand?

At the very least a rematch should be put in motion.
    Last edited by killersheep; 08-19-2008 at 06:28 PM.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

SigmaMu Guest

Default Re: No change in the ruling of Thompson-Arvin?

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    For those of you in the FNF crew you will remember the judging that Anthony Thompson whose eye caused a ruling of TKO for Arvin.

Watching the replay referee Malik Waleed admitted that it was clearly from a headbutt and because of such would have gone to the cards where Thompson should have been the clear winner. Waleed who had originally called the cut was caused by a punch then called in the members of the Washington D.C. Boxing & Wrestling Commission, to watch the replay video where they all agreed it was clearly from a headbutt after Joe Tessitor and Shannon Briggs played the replay multiple times. The commission moved the decision back to Waleed, where he stated "I cannot go back in time" and despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary he adhered to his original call that it was a punch that caused the cut and ruled a TKO for Arvin.

Now that we are up to speed has anyone heard any updates? Or is this farce going to stand?

At the very least a rematch should be put in motion.
    I can not go back in time he says? Is he high? He is living in the past. This is the 21st century in case he is lost. We have the technology and instant replay should be used in boxing today for such cases like this. I would have punched Malik in the face had I been Thompson. I wish Atlas would have been there because it is normally Teddy who gets all angry but this time it was Joe who was getting very vocal and telling them to come and watch the replay yada, yada. Maybe when Senator John McCain is done with this election, he can come back and try to fix these problems, I believe he can and I am hoping that he will.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unfortunately, the ruling stands.

The only state that currently allows instant replay, is New Jersey. But it will only be used if the promoter provides the equipment, and makes the request for it to be used for a fight in advance.

I think because they have no such rule on their books, and because the ref did not see it at the time that it happened, they have to go with the refs decision, even though ESPN provided the proof. They can't reverse a decision, when their governering body has no rule as to the use of instant replay in their guidelines.

It's unfortunate though.

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Unfortunately, the ruling stands.

The only state that currently allows instant replay, is New Jersey. But it will only be used if the promoter provides the equipment, and makes the request for it to be used for a fight in advance.

I think because they have no such rule on their books, and because the ref did not see it at the time that it happened, they have to go with the refs decision, even though ESPN provided the proof. They can't reverse a decision, when their governering body has no rule as to the use of instant replay in their guidelines.

It's unfortunate though.
    Knowin this, which they should, why all the drama? I mean it was a waste of time exactly because of the things you pointed out. So why as fans were we expecting anything different? The fight was not in Jersey and Waleed was just doing his job,.. but in todays age, INSTANT REPLAY should be mandatory especially if the fights are being televized, that is just pure basic common sense. We need McCain! If I were Thompson, I still would have hit someone out of anger, frustration and disgust. lol
    Last edited by SigmaMu; 08-19-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exclamation Re: No change in the ruling of Thompson-Arvin?

Gents/ Gals,

I need to see this fight. Does anyone know where I can view it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exclamation Re: No change in the ruling of Thompson-Arvin?

Since I had to do it myself...

Justin.tv - Anthony Thompson vs Ishmail Arvin FNF 08/15/08 - sportinwood's channel - Live Streaming Video

For those who haven't seen the fight yet...

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bullshit!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Bullshit!!
    Your right.This was a failure in its highest form.Stuck in the past,they clearly witnessed the headclash,ref actually reversed initial call "upon consultation ".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: No change in the ruling of Thompson-Arvin?

If you listen in after the third round, you can hear someone say 'headbutt' and it is repeated, then Tessitore says the REF said it was a headbutt. So how was that not the case? Also, after the knockdown, the referee told Arvin he could 'still get back in it...' is that appropriate? I know people don't like to talk about stolen or fixed fights, but was he giving himself away in these hints?

Thread Information