Thread: SOLIMAN TINES UP WHILE WAITING FOR THE NEW MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMP, TAYLOR

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default SOLIMAN TINES UP WHILE WAITING FOR THE NEW MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMP, TAYLOR

While Jermain Taylor is still celebrating his stunning upset of longtime middleweight champion and consensus pound-for-pound number one Bernard Hopkins on Saturday night, IBF #1 Sam Soliman is putting the final touches on his preparation for his tune-up fight against Fernando Zuniga which will take place this Thursday at the Palace Indian Gaming Center in Lemoore, California on a Goossen-Tutor promoted card. The fight will be televised on ‘The Best Damn Sports Show Period’.

Speaking to Doghouse Boxing before he flew out to the States, Soliman, who was originally scheduled to face Tarvis Simms before the unbeaten southpaw withdrew from the fight, said he wouldn’t be at all surprised if Taylor sprung the upset on the wily old champ.

“Taylor is a hungry, younger underdog and every hungry young underdog in the past six month has been winning,” reasoned Soliman, 30-7 (12). “How many underdogs do you want in a row?

“I’m not going to be surprised if something happens with Jermain and he pulls it off. Not only that, he’s been wanting it all his life and this is his opportunity.”

The result of the Saturday’s fight is bitter sweet for Soliman, who would have liked nothing more than to be the one to remove the king from his throne.

“Everyone knows I hope Bernard wins because I want to fight him,” said Soliman. “But if Jermain wins he’s the champ and I’ll fight him. I’ve wanted to fight the champ for the last three years. That’s what any real champion would want.”

But the reality is a fight with Taylor is unlikely to happen.

After Soliman agreed to postpone his mandatory so that the Hopkins-Taylor fight could be made, the IBF mandated that the winner fight Soliman within 90 days of the fight. But with Taylor seemingly committed to a rematch with Hopkins on October 1st, it appears increasingly likely that the IBF will strip Taylor of their title, paving the way for Soliman to get his long awaited shot against either Kingsley Ikeke or Felix Sturm for the vacant strap.

But first Soliman must get past Zuniga, who’s main claim to fame is stopping middleweight prospect Troy Rowland by 7th round TKO in his last fight. With a record of 23-7 (1, Zuniga has only been stopped once despite sharing the ring with renowned punchers Charles Brewer, Thomas Tate, William Joppy and the rugged but limited Kenny Ellis. If Soliman lacks motivation or focus this could be another upset in the making, but in all reality it’s far more likely that the 31-year-old Melbournian will box his way to a comfortable decision victory.

“I want to say thanks to Dan Goossen and Stuart Duncan,” said Soliman. “With Dan Goossen promoting me, Stuart Duncan managing me and Dave Hedgcock training me, I’ve got a really good team behind me and without those three in my corner I wouldn’t been be where I am.”

In the co-feature former IBF cruiserweight champion Vassiliy Jirov will take on Orlin Norris at heavyweight, while Jessica Rakoczy defends her IBA women’s lightweight titles against the well credentialed Jane Couch, with the vacant WBC women’s lightweight title also on the line. Talented welterweight Paul ‘The Punisher’ Williams will also be featured on the card.www.maxboxing.com

"SAM WILL GET HIS AZZ HANDED TO HIM BY JERMAIN TAYLOR!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: SOLIMAN TINES UP WHILE WAITING FOR THE NEW MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMP, TAYLOR

Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideX4
    While Jermain Taylor is still celebrating his stunning upset of longtime middleweight champion and consensus pound-for-pound number one Bernard Hopkins on Saturday night, IBF #1 Sam Soliman is putting the final touches on his preparation for his tune-up fight against Fernando Zuniga which will take place this Thursday at the Palace Indian Gaming Center in Lemoore, California on a Goossen-Tutor promoted card. The fight will be televised on ‘The Best Damn Sports Show Period’.

Speaking to Doghouse Boxing before he flew out to the States, Soliman, who was originally scheduled to face Tarvis Simms before the unbeaten southpaw withdrew from the fight, said he wouldn’t be at all surprised if Taylor sprung the upset on the wily old champ.

“Taylor is a hungry, younger underdog and every hungry young underdog in the past six month has been winning,” reasoned Soliman, 30-7 (12). “How many underdogs do you want in a row?

“I’m not going to be surprised if something happens with Jermain and he pulls it off. Not only that, he’s been wanting it all his life and this is his opportunity.”

The result of the Saturday’s fight is bitter sweet for Soliman, who would have liked nothing more than to be the one to remove the king from his throne.

“Everyone knows I hope Bernard wins because I want to fight him,” said Soliman. “But if Jermain wins he’s the champ and I’ll fight him. I’ve wanted to fight the champ for the last three years. That’s what any real champion would want.”

But the reality is a fight with Taylor is unlikely to happen.

After Soliman agreed to postpone his mandatory so that the Hopkins-Taylor fight could be made, the IBF mandated that the winner fight Soliman within 90 days of the fight. But with Taylor seemingly committed to a rematch with Hopkins on October 1st, it appears increasingly likely that the IBF will strip Taylor of their title, paving the way for Soliman to get his long awaited shot against either Kingsley Ikeke or Felix Sturm for the vacant strap.

But first Soliman must get past Zuniga, who’s main claim to fame is stopping middleweight prospect Troy Rowland by 7th round TKO in his last fight. With a record of 23-7 (1, Zuniga has only been stopped once despite sharing the ring with renowned punchers Charles Brewer, Thomas Tate, William Joppy and the rugged but limited Kenny Ellis. If Soliman lacks motivation or focus this could be another upset in the making, but in all reality it’s far more likely that the 31-year-old Melbournian will box his way to a comfortable decision victory.

“I want to say thanks to Dan Goossen and Stuart Duncan,” said Soliman. “With Dan Goossen promoting me, Stuart Duncan managing me and Dave Hedgcock training me, I’ve got a really good team behind me and without those three in my corner I wouldn’t been be where I am.”

In the co-feature former IBF cruiserweight champion Vassiliy Jirov will take on Orlin Norris at heavyweight, while Jessica Rakoczy defends her IBA women’s lightweight titles against the well credentialed Jane Couch, with the vacant WBC women’s lightweight title also on the line. Talented welterweight Paul ‘The Punisher’ Williams will also be featured on the card.www.maxboxing.com

"SAM WILL GET HIS AZZ HANDED TO HIM BY JERMAIN TAYLOR!"
    Sam gets his ass handed to him by no one. This guy is the most awkward fighter you will see, he has speed, footwork and evasion. Oh yeah he has never been stopped. Why wont anyone fight him. Bhop ducked him (yes he ducked him, sam has been the number 1 challenger for over 6 months or so and hehasnt got his fight so whether he would beat hopkins or not, hopkins ducked him. Im more of a hopkins fan then soliman fan but this is what i believe). I bet taylor wont fight him coz he will think hes too risky.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: SOLIMAN TINES UP WHILE WAITING FOR THE NEW MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMP, TAYLOR

Soliman is extremely akward.Like Hamed akward.But he could'nt put away
    Raymond Joval.So i dont see Hopkins ducking him.And correct me if i'm wrong here but Soliman has been beat a few times.Taylor= risky not Soliman.But
    he might have ducked him because he is relatively unknown and you couldnt
    sell it as a PPV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AbnerMares
    Raymond Joval.So i dont see Hopkins ducking him.And correct me if i'm wrong here but Soliman has been beat a few times.Taylor= risky not Soliman.But
    sell it as a PPV.
    Yeah soliman was beat in his early part of his career. Hes better then ever. Just coz he aint power dont mean he aint a threat.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didn't Jermain Taylor stop Zuniga? I thought so. Maybe not, if Brewer couldn't do it then almost no one could. Charles Brewer was a bad ass and a good brawler. It is a shame he never got any big fights aside from Calzaghe, people did DUCK this guy. IMO Brewer in his younger days would have KO'd Lacy. I like Lacy but Brewer was warrior.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Snakey
    Quote Originally Posted by AbnerMares
    sell it as a PPV.
    Yeah soliman was beat in his early part of his career. Hes better then ever. Just coz he aint power dont mean he aint a threat.

I agree,He is a major role in that division.And i give him a legitimate shot
    against anyone in the division.But he is still fairly unknown right now.Give
    him a little exposure and he'll be ready to make some $.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

soliman is not to be taken lightly. He is a very akward figher like abner and could upset taylor. We saw alot of flaws with taylors when he fought hopkins and he didnt win the win convincingly for me. I think he COULD be beat by soliman, but the fight wouldnt sell and probaly will not happen.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well this should  be a UD for Sam hes (30-7), He hasen't lost since 2002. He is also on a 18 fight wining streak and I doubt that there is much that Fernando Z. can do hes (23-7) Hes 5-5 in his last 10 fight's. Watch for Sam to step it up to the next class in boxers soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it's a tuneup.

Northside, have you ever seen Soliman fight? Or have u just looked at his record saw about 7 losses and figured Taylor could beat him? :

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Purist
    it's a tuneup.

Northside, have you ever seen Soliman fight? Or have u just looked at his record saw about 7 losses and figured Taylor could beat him? :
    I've seen him fight twice, but wasn't impressed at all even though he is sn akward fighter which does give alot of people problems, but not Taylor! I know ever since Taylor beat Hopkins everyone is on here saying that everybody else can beat Taylor, you all are a bunch of fookin' haters!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well get ot see what kind of chmap your boy is northside, will he trash abelt and duck a garbage fighter or will he man up and fight his mandatories, last thing we need is your boy dumpign belts and we having 4 champs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jermain has to fight Bernard again.

Either way Bernard's retiring after the fight with the titles or so. And then Taylor can fight for the vacant ones, but sooner or later he'll hav to fight Sturm, Soliman or Ikeke, and maybe even Ward if u wanna talk like 3 or 4 years from now.

Thread Information