Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: RDJ's training log

Thu Nov 13

Two times 5 miles on a bike, as always. I was extremely sore from yesterdays workout, so the plan was to take it easy. Unfortunately my coach had different plans. Did about 20 minutes of jump rope first with the occasional calisthenics in between to warm up. Next did 2 rounds of shadowboxing, followed by 4 rounds on the bag (1st jabs and straights, 2nd hooks, 3rd uppercuts, 4th all of them). Got sent into the ring, where we rotated with 4 guys. Did about 5 rounds, my arms were killing me. Got slapped in the face a few time by my coach for dropping the left hand. I like doing that, it gives me an angle to jab from and it lures my opponent in. I think I'm less predictable when I'm not constantly holding up my left hand. I feel safer behind my left shoulder than I do in full guard, he told my sparring partners to make me pay for it but they were unable to because I'm not stupid I don't do it all the time. Anyway, I did not argue of course, but whenever he's not looking I'm mixing in half guard again After that went back to the bag, they were just finishing up with a drill. Cooled down and biked back home.

Sparring went okay-ish, considering my soreness. At this moment I feel like a train wreck, which is good because it's been a while since I felt really sore. About to go for a run now to loosen up a little.
    Last edited by RDJ; 11-14-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fri Nov 14

A 3.9 mile road work session. Loads of sideways and backwards movement, calisthenics half way down the stretch, some shadowboxing and stretching afterwards.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sun Nov 16

Run, same as friday.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Mon Nov 17

Half an hour warm up, one round of shadowboxing, three rounds on the bag, about four in the ring, and a drill to finish up. I've been hitting an insanely hard and heavy bag lately, and while I like it a lot, my arms have been pudding after training lately. But it does improve power I think. And of course the bike ride, two times five miles.

Had to spar new guys, first time ever in a ring. Both had been training for half a year or so, but no sparring. Went insanely easy of course, but it was odd how difficult it was to defend against their unpredictability. They don't do what you expect a boxer to do. They throw Calzaghe like taps being wide open out of nowhere, six lead right hands in a row, shit like that. It was odd but fun, and I got to work on my defense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tue Nov 18

Short bike ride in the morning, about 13 miles. Medium intensity.
    Gmaps Pedometer

In the evening went to the gym, two times 5 miles by bike. Our regular trainer wasn't there so we had a spontaneous replacement trainer from our competing gym (my town has two gyms), who happened to be at our gym. Did a lot of combinations on the pads / gloves, they do things just a little different than we do, which was very refreshing. No sparring, but a good workout nonetheless.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wed Nov 19

Was sore as hell, and Wednesday is usually our free training day so I wanted to take it easy. Biked there first, 5 miles. Warmed up, about 15 minutes. Did about 8 rounds on the bag, after that did 3 rounds of shadowboxing (all 3 minutes). Decided to cool down, but got sent into the ring instead. Had to spar a very fast guy who's technically very sound, and had a great session. Both landed some, nothing damaging though apart from a small mouse next to my left eye. Did 6 or 7 rounds of 2 minutes. Cooled down, stretched, and biked 5 miles back home.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thu Nov 20

Five miles to the gym. Half an hour warming up, about 10 rounds on the bag, three rounds of shadowboxing, cooling down, and five miles back home. No sparring.

Fri Nov 21

Drank lots of wine yesterday, and didn't have much sleep. Today is my rest day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Took Saturday off as well, the weather was too shitty to bike or run.

Sun Nov 23

Short roadwork session, 3.9 miles.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Mon Nov 24

Half an hour warming up. Condition training on the bag, about 1 hour long. Cooled down. Two times 5 miles included as always.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tue Nov 25

Technical session, we did some pad work (glove work actually), then some defensive drills. Took about an hour. Warmed up and cooled down, about half an hour. Biked 10 miles to and from gym, about 40 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wed Nov 26

Biked 13 miles in the morning, medium intensity.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Took my mothers car to the gym. Warmed up for about half an hour. After that we were called into the ring taking turns against each other, with 4 guys. I did about 5 two minute rounds, and 1 four minute round. Things went ok, landed a lot actually. Did not take much, except for a nasty punch on the back of the head that had me dizzy for a few seconds. Not intentional though, so I can't blame him.
    Last edited by RDJ; 11-26-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thu Nov 27

Biked 5 miles to the gym. Was way too early so I jumped rope and shadowboxed for about 35 to 40 minutes. After that did 5 or 6 rounds on the bag. My bag partner (we team up on busy days) was a very fast, experienced and technically sound guy so I got a lot of good advice. He started young and has a lot of raw talent. He always expects me to perform at a level way over my head, which I think is flattering because apparently he thinks I can do it. He said my technique is missing the "dots on the i". Got some good advice I plan on working on in the next few weeks.

Went into the ring after that with a guy I haven't sparred with for a while. Very aggressive, bob and weave type of guy. Got hit a bit too often, but as the rounds progressed I got more into my rhythm. No marks from punches, just a lump on my forehead from an accidental head butt (yeah I know, should have worn head gear I didn't feel like it and I don't get hit flush much anyway). I'm sparring him again on Saturday. Did about 5 rounds of 2 minutes.

Cooled down, and biked back home at high speed. Total workout time about 2.5 hours.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fri Nov 28

Went for a swim. Biked there, about 6 miles. Swam for one and a half hour, then took a detour back home, total distance about 20 miles.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sat Nov 29

Biked 5 miles to gym. Warmed up, 15 minutes of jump rope. Did about 10 rounds on the bag. Cooled down and stretched. Biked home with a detour, about 9 miles.

Sun Nov 30

Biked 10 miles and immediately after that ran 3.5 miles.
    Gmaps Pedometer
    Gmaps Pedometer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mon Dec 1

Biked to the gym, 5 miles. Was way too early once again so I did about 40 minutes of jump rope, shadowboxing, bodyweight exercises and dynamic stretching. After that went 6 rounds on the bag. Got into the ring with a welter southpaw (I'm light welter myself), we did about 6 or 7 rounds. Went great, especially defensive. Landed some good punches, didn't take too much. Did a full static stretch routine and biked back home, 5 miles.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Tue Dec 2

Borrowed me moms car this afternoon so no biking. Warmed up, 25 minutes. Did some mitt / glove work with a partner. After that we did infighting drills in the ring, defending on the ropes stuff like that. Some light sparring in close range after that. Stretched and drove home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wed Dec 3

This was supposed to be my day off, but I didn't feel like it. Biked to the gym, 5 miles. Warmed up, 15 minutes. Shadowboxing, two rounds. Did a 30 minute drill without any breaks, alternating between bag work and various other exercises. Did a full body stretch and biked back home, 5 miles.
    Gmaps Pedometer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thu Dec 4

Took a rest day.

Thread Information