Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What will Hatton's legacy be?

I was reading another thread and saw a post by Lefty saying if he beats Malignaggi, "...his legacy will be set" or something similar. That got me to thinking about what exactly his legacy will be, and I couldn't really come up with a concrete answer.

My initial thought was that he'd go down as arguably a top 5 LWW, but the more I think about it the less sure I am that the majority of other people share that opinion.

So, assuming he beats Malignaggi, and maybe Bradley, how will Hatton be remembered?

ICB Guest

Default Re: What will Hatton's legacy be?

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I was reading another thread and saw a post by Lefty saying if he beats Malignaggi, "...his legacy will be set" or something similar. That got me to thinking about what exactly his legacy will be, and I couldn't really come up with a concrete answer.

My initial thought was that he'd go down as arguably a top 5 LWW, but the more I think about it the less sure I am that the majority of other people share that opinion.

So, assuming he beats Malignaggi, and maybe Bradley, how will Hatton be remembered?
    I think you got it spot on really a top 5 LWW of all time, who's best win was against Kostya Tszyu, who was old and ring rusty but still a good fighter. And probably one of the best British fighters of all time aswell, i think he has had a good career personally but he shouldn't have called out Mayweather and should of stayed at LWW........

I think Hatton will always be remembered by the British fans even the non hardcore ones he has a massive fan base over here similar to how Bruno, Benn, did. Maybe not as much outside the UK but i still think he will be remembered by the American's because he has fought over there few times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I Suppose he might have a legacy not unlike Barry McGuigan? Beat a long time champion who was probably on the downside. won a couple of inconsequential fights after that.

Top 5 LWW? Nah maybe top 10 though. Aside from all those who fought at LWW who would have kicked his ass (IMO of course), one should also consider those who leapfrogged from lightweight directly to welterweight as comparisons. Such as Mosely and Duran, among others. Otherwise a top all time LWW ranking really doesn't mean squat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton needs a real Marquee win against his name to cement his legacy.
    Beating an old Tszyu isn't enough, he was totally outclassed against Mayweather and Hatton needs a win against a Pac or Marquez.
    He blew his chance of fighting and beating Witter in what would have been the biggest fight in recent British history, so he will fight and beat Malignaggi who is well short of the 1st division. So where does that leave Hatton? Up shit creek without a paddle!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotta give credit where credit is due, if he beats the Magic Man (which he should). He will be the best 140 lber of this era. I honestly think he will be obscure to casual American boxing fans in 5 years time, but will be remembered fondly by a majority of Mancunians and by far and large most casual boxing fans in the UK. Overall in the scheme of things at 140 a very good case could be made for having him at 3rd or 4th.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Gotta give credit where credit is due, if he beats the Magic Man (which he should). He will be the best 140 lber of this era. I honestly think he will be obscure to casual American boxing fans in 5 years time, but will be remembered fondly by a majority of Mancunians and by far and large most casual boxing fans in the UK. Overall in the scheme of things at 140 a very good case could be made for having him at 3rd or 4th.
    Well put, if he unifies at 140lb in 2009 then i have him 4th behind Pryor, Tszyu and Chavez. What worries me is his size, did you see him at ringside next to DLH at the Marquez V Casamayor fight? Looked like he cleaned house at McDonalds!! He must have been close to 160lb

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    Well put, if he unifies at 140lb in 2009 then i have him 4th behind Pryor, Tszyu and Chavez. What worries me is his size, did you see him at ringside next to DLH at the Marquez V Casamayor fight? Looked like he cleaned house at McDonalds!! He must have been close to 160lb
    #4? Really? Here's a few other guys who won titles at LWW that you may wish to consider. You could argue that any one of this bunch could have more than held their own against Hatton at 140. Depends how you evaluate them I guess.

Oscar de la Hoya
    Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    Pernell Whitaker
    Wilfred Benitez
    Antonio Cervantes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He goes down as one of the most popular and exciting boxers in British history

Who pulled it all out of the bag to beat Kostya

as far as all time great and or even top 5 I don't think he had the competition go guarantee a spot there

Unfortunately for Hatton 140 has been a bit sparse of talent since KT and the move to welter never suited him if he could have got hold of Zab or Cotto a few years ago he would have a much more impressive resume

Still one of my favourites
    "There is no point being alive if you cannot do the deadlift."
    John Paul Sigmarrsson, 4 time Word's Strongest Man

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After Hatton beats Paulie he will also go down as coming back well from a loss. After getting knoked people will say oh he came back and won a world title against the number 2 ranked prime fighter in the division. That looks good. A true champion is someone who can rebound from a loss. Unlike a certain someone *cough* Naseem

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At this point in time he would be remembered like Naz... his career to this point is almost a mirror image.

beating some old legends
    beating some present champs
    some easy defences.

splitting up with his promoter then his trainer.

getting beat by a prime p4p.

BUT.. this next fight is a key fight... if he loses he will be forgotten pretty quickly, and if he wins its all down to what he does from there.

the only difference with him and Naz is Naz was hated and Ricky is loved to bits by his fans.

and lefty has a point about Naz quitting BUT once he lost he couldn't get the kinda money he was used to and gave up... RICKY STILL CAN see the sellout last fight.

and also with Naz it was around the 9/11 and that would have played a big part on him not fighting on with the tention around that time

So for me at this point he is on a par with Naz maybe just under

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well lets have it right Naz lost to Barrera then he had another fight then retired Felix Trinidad did the same he Lost to Hopkins 1 more fight retired then cameback beat Mayorga lost to Winky and retired again but not much gets said about him doing it.Regarding Hattons legacy i dont know because he beat a 35 year old Kostya who never fought again after this fight so sort of says where he was at in his career.Then he fought Maussa who really wind milled his way to The WBA title vs Harris then he was nearly beat by Collazo a lot thought he was lucky to get it Then his struggle with Urango then he stopped Castillio who was a faded force really the stoppage of Castillio looked good on paper but as i say he is a faded force right time and place fight for me.Then got KO'd in his biggest fight vs Mayweather then cameback with a win over Lazcano and he weren't that impressive really so some are saying top 5 of all time i say top 10

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is a key fight indeed for Ricky and i think he'll do well (better sparring etc and a far better trainer so i think we'll see more strings to his bow plus he simply can't fight at the same pace anymore..he was clearly blowing out his ass by the 7th in his last fight)
    If he comes through it as i think he will then he will imo meet Oscar or Pac hopefully at Wembley with 90,000 people and you can bet your house that'll sell out in a few days (maybe less).
    Do hope so

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He'll always be remembered for DUCKING Witter. Fact.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Maybe you, 10 years from now people will say "Who was Witter?"
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Maybe you, 10 years from now people will say "Who was Witter?"
    And if i'm still here i'll be telling them the truth - "he's the guy Ricky Moneybags was shit scared of." Fact.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information