Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Monster Bear

This bear was killed in Alaska a while ago. Last nights Monster Quest was about Giant Bears and they talked to the kid who shot this...
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Monster Bear

Also,

They said it was 10' 6" and weighed 1,200 pounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

so that little fucking douche had to shoot it?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool not seen this episode yet although I've caught the rest of the series.

Many of the recent episodes have been a bit poor imo really stretching credibility.

The last two especially about Big Foot in New York and Monster Eels in lakes had no supporting evidence whatsoever and simply wern't stories at all.

My favourite episodes are not necessarily the most fanciful creatures but rather where they is actually some evidence that something exists, so the more mundane stuff like mountain lions in previously unknown locations, giant snakes, etc.

This episode should be along those lines so will look forward to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post

No kidding; couldn't just leave it alone and let it live out its life. What a majestic animal. I know; let's shoot an animal for no other reason than because we feel like doing it I'm all for hunting people

I guess I shouldn't talk; I used to hunt wild hog, though more because they were a nuisance and are like giant rats and will gnaw and eat on anything
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I feel you.

Still, I wouldn't suggest playing dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post

No kidding; couldn't just leave it alone and let it live out its life. What a majestic animal. I know; let's shoot an animal for no other reason than because we feel like doing it I'm all for hunting people

I guess I shouldn't talk; I used to hunt wild hog, though more because they were a nuisance and are like giant rats and will gnaw and eat on anything
    Now THAT I can understand. But killing such an incredible animal for the sake of the hunt is pure garbage. I say, if you can take it down with your bare hands, go for it. Otherwise, leave it alone.

But then again, we do have times when it's the only thing to do... when the polars encroach on the people up in Churchill, etc. Unfortunately, not much of a choice in certain circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now THAT I can understand. But killing such an incredible animal for the sake of the hunt is pure garbage. I say, if you can take it down with your bare hands, go for it. Otherwise, leave it alone.

But then again, we do have times when it's the only thing to do... when the polars encroach on the people up in Churchill, etc. Unfortunately, not much of a choice in certain circumstances.
    Well put.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This logic makes no sense to me. Physically a human being is far inferior to almost any other animal of similar size in the while animal kingdom.

The strength of the human species lies in his ability to outwit and outsmart his rivals. It would be absurd to suggest that in order for a bear to have the right to kill a human he should beat it in a tool making contest, a bear's strength lie in his immense physical advantages. He of course would use those physicalities to beat a human or any other rival.

So a human uses his wits and superior brain to design a tool, in this case a shotgun to blow the big bear away. It's why we are at the top of the tree and is exactly the way we should be winning our fight for dominance.

I'm sure in boxing you appreciate skills, defense and a smarter, smaller fighter outwitting and beating a bigger stronger one, so why not in the real battles of life.

The bear lost despite immense physical advantages because the human was smart enough to draw on outside technologies to win the battle.

He displayed superior intellect which translated into mastery of his opponent, a decent performance imo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Properly managed, bears are a good renewable resource.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    The bear lost despite immense physical advantages because the human was smart enough to draw on outside technologies to win the battle.
    Also...

I don't know how homes are built in the UK but in the US most rooms have 8' ceilings. Which means this bear stands up and his head is 2 feet into the attic.

He was 10'6 afterall.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla View Post
    Also...

I don't know how homes are built in the UK but in the US most rooms have 8' ceilings. Which means this bear stands up and his head is 2 feet into the attic.

He was 10'6 afterall.
    It sounds like he was certainly a big bear. Still not found the episode online yet, looking forward to it though.

The weight at 1,200 lbs wasn't extraordinary though. I know bears when getting ready for hibernation can weigh up to 2000 lbs.

In fact most grizzly's could easily reach 1200 lbs I'd imagine, didn't really seem like a giant to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"the new world record brown bear on the Alaskan Peninsula in October, 2006. Skull size 33 1/16", 11' 9" nose-to-tail. Estimated weight of 1,800 Lbs."

just a bit smaller than the world record

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla View Post
    "the new world record brown bear on the Alaskan Peninsula in October, 2006. Skull size 33 1/16", 11' 9" nose-to-tail. Estimated weight of 1,800 Lbs."

just a bit smaller than the world record

The trouble with weighing bears is when to do it.

As hibernators they have to pack hundreds of pounds of extra weight to see them throught the winter. I know David Attenborough on my dvd's of his I have says during hibernation they can reach 2000 lbs although maybe by that he means 1800.

But 1800 is certainly quite a bit larger than the monster quest bear, almost the difference from a human being 6 ft 7 in or 7 ft 7 in.

A 6 ft 7 guy would be a big fella for sure but nowhere near the world record. Same with this bear......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But 1800 is certainly quite a bit larger than the monster quest bear, almost the difference from a human being 6 ft 7 in or 7 ft 7 in.

A 6 ft 7 guy would be a big fella for sure but nowhere near the world record. Same with this bear......

Well, when you think that the average brown bear is between 5' and 8' and the average American is...

Question: What is the Average Height for an Adult Male?

Answer: According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average height for an adult male in the United States is:
    • 69.2 inches, or
    • 5 feet 9.2 inches
    So the average brown bear and the average human are not that far apart in height. 10' feet tall is HUGE! and the mass is just ridiculous.

Thread Information