Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: DC, do my eyes deceive me, or is Gary Russell III that fast?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default DC, do my eyes deceive me, or is Gary Russell III that fast?

I've watched the fights you've put up of him on youtube, much thanks. But is it a mirage or is he that fast, he looks even faster then his brother, and he's 20+ north of Jr. Do you know if he is waiting around for the olympic or trying to go pro at 18? Also if you know what Rau'Shee Warren and Gary Russell Jr are planning for their futures? I know they both really want that gold in the Olympics, but that could forestall, and even hurt their inevitably great careers at the pro level. You guys have had great physical talent come out of hte states before, but I have never seen this many fast fighters come up at the same time, these guys have speed, but not just handspeed or footspeed, but they all have that Roy JOnes Jr type quickness where they are so well balanced, can turn and punch on a dime, and they can counter moving backwards, also they throw all the punches in the book with that incredible ease that Roy Jones possessed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: DC, do my eyes deceive me, or is Gary Russell III that fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I've watched the fights you've put up of him on youtube, much thanks. But is it a mirage or is he that fast, he looks even faster then his brother, and he's 20+ north of Jr. Do you know if he is waiting around for the olympic or trying to go pro at 18? Also if you know what Rau'Shee Warren and Gary Russell Jr are planning for their futures? I know they both really want that gold in the Olympics, but that could forestall, and even hurt their inevitably great careers at the pro level. You guys have had great physical talent come out of hte states before, but I have never seen this many fast fighters come up at the same time, these guys have speed, but not just handspeed or footspeed, but they all have that Roy JOnes Jr type quickness where they are so well balanced, can turn and punch on a dime, and they can counter moving backwards, also they throw all the punches in the book with that incredible ease that Roy Jones possessed.
    No camera trickery, he's amazingly fast. All of the Russell's are very quick with great hand speed. (There are now 6 of them boxing from about 7 years old up to Gary Jr., the Olympian) I've been told by both Raushee and Gary, they are both going pro. Not sure who they are signing with or the timetable. As for Allen, if you take a look at the first half of his bout with Manny Taylor - that's a good demonstration of how quick he is against another top amateur. He just didn't seem to be in great shape, but when he is - he's on top. I know that he just lost in his first bout at the 2008 National PAL, but I've been told the decision was to a chorus of boos. I didn't see it yet. I'm not sure how long he will stick around considering his brother will start making money shortly. I'd love to see him stick around for '12, but that's a long, long way away.

I was watching an old interview of Daryl Tyson's and he was asked if handspeed is natural or can be taught. He replied that either you have it or you don't. If that's the case, there must be something in the water because I agree - I see a lot of juniors with really fast hands and feet nowadays.

Just how fast is Allen? Take a look. . . Click through to the youtube direct video for high quality.BTW, If anyone saw his PAL fight, let me know what you thought. I hope to get my hands on that video.

YouTube - Gary Russell III vs. Manny Taylor (High Quality Option Available)
    DC Amateur Boxing
    The Largest Online Amateur Boxing Resource
    with over 4 million total views since March 2008!!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the reply, I have, largely becuase of your contribution on youtube, have fallen in love with the better aspects of the amateur game. I am just sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for these guys to go pro, I hear the youngest Gary Russell brother is going to be absolutely incredible when he gets older.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the reply, I have, largely becuase of your contribution on youtube, have fallen in love with the better aspects of the amateur game. I am just sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for these guys to go pro, I hear the youngest Gary Russell brother is going to be absolutely incredible when he gets older.
    Yeah, he looks just like Gary and Allen when they were younger. His name is Gary Antwan Russell. This is him from last year's regional silver gloves. You should see him now.

YouTube - Gary Antwan vs. Qudri East Coast Silver Gloves Finals
    DC Amateur Boxing
    The Largest Online Amateur Boxing Resource
    with over 4 million total views since March 2008!!
    Hidden Content

SigmaMu Guest

Good posts and thanks DC Amateur Boxing for knowing how to properly embed a youtube video on Saddo Forum That is the method I prefer when it is set in the middle because it has the URL just above and or the description and Opera is a little picky about the auto embed function here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DC Amateur Boxing View Post
    No camera trickery, he's amazingly fast. All of the Russell's are very quick with great hand speed. (There are now 6 of them boxing from about 7 years old up to Gary Jr., the Olympian) I've been told by both Raushee and Gary, they are both going pro. Not sure who they are signing with or the timetable. As for Allen, if you take a look at the first half of his bout with Manny Taylor - that's a good demonstration of how quick he is against another top amateur. He just didn't seem to be in great shape, but when he is - he's on top. I know that he just lost in his first bout at the 2008 National PAL, but I've been told the decision was to a chorus of boos. I didn't see it yet. I'm not sure how long he will stick around considering his brother will start making money shortly. I'd love to see him stick around for '12, but that's a long, long way away.

I was watching an old interview of Daryl Tyson's and he was asked if handspeed is natural or can be taught. He replied that either you have it or you don't. If that's the case, there must be something in the water because I agree - I see a lot of juniors with really fast hands and feet nowadays.

Just how fast is Allen? Take a look. . . Click through to the youtube direct video for high quality.BTW, If anyone saw his PAL fight, let me know what you thought. I hope to get my hands on that video.

YouTube - Gary Russell III vs. Manny Taylor (High Quality Option Available)
    I don't think I have seen anyone with hands as quick as that guy, his jab and straights are unbelievable.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To me antwan looks better then Allen was in 2001

Thread Information