Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: ICB's Articles On British Fighters.

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default ICB's Articles On British Fighters.

Ok im going to do every so often some small write up's on British fighters past/present.

Today i'll start off with one of my favorites Nigel Benn.

Nigel Benn

Where to begin ? well when i was a little kid my family especially my grandad, were huge boxing fans and i could always remember debates about Chris Eubank vs Nigel Benn. I often watched his fights but never full fights. Until i grew a bit older and i started to watch some old Nigel Benn fights, which my grandad had taped. And wow i was in awe of the amazing display of KO's, opponents one after another just falling left/right/center.

But the real fight that made me a fan of Nigel Benn was his war with Anthony Logan. I was expecting another early KO win from Nigel Benn, then all of a sudden BOOM and down goes Nigel Benn in the first round. And to my shock he was actually really hurt. But the bell sounded and now im thinking, Anthony Logan just got a lucky shot, but to my shock again Anthony Logan hurts Nigel Benn badly again, but even worse this time as Nigel Benn takes about 20 unanswered punches against the ropes, similar to Matthew Saad Muhammad vs Yaqui Lopez in there 2nd fight. And just as it looks like Nigel Benn is about to fall down, BOOM left hook from Nigel Benn and Anthony Logan is out for the count.

Amazing fight and one that made me a fan of Nigel Benn for life, obviously i didn't watch it live. But i didn't know the outcome so it was like watching it live, but anyway onto Nigel Benn's next war with Michael Watson. Now Michael Watson IMO could of been the best out of the British boxers of that era, but at the time he was virtually unknown and everyone expected another quick Nigel Benn blow out. But as the 1st round started i noticed even though Nigel Benn was winning, Michael Watson was using a very good peek a book defense, similar to Marlon Starling. Which was making Nigel Benn hit arms and gloves for the most part, but still Nigel Benn took the first 3 rounds based on workrate, then in the 4th all hell broke loose. Michael Watson stunned Nigel Benn with a counter shot and Nigel Benn's head was bouncing up and down like a basketball.

Michael Watson then started to pound Nigel Benn against the ropes but still thought about defense, but just as Michael Watson thought he was getting comfortable. A big left hook from Nigel Benn hurt Michael Watson badly and now Nigel Benn had Michael Watson in deep trouble against the ropes. One of the best rounds i've ever seen personally, after that terrific round what i noticed as they come out for the 6th round is that Nigel Benn was starting to tire, and now Michael Watson wasn't focusing as much on defense, and was just unloading his offense. A punch to the eye seemed to hurt Nigel Benn and Michael Watson went on the attack with Nigel Benn against the ropes, then Nigel Benn spins him around and lands massive hooks and stuns Michael Watson for a moment, then out of the blue. Just a solid jab from Michael Watson stops Nigel Benn dead in his tracks and down went Nigel Benn almost in a lifeless fashion, he got up but he was still hurt from accumulation of punches, and the ref stopped the fight.

To Be Continued Tomorrow.
    Last edited by ICB; 10-01-2008 at 02:22 PM.

10 miles from Manchester, 6 miles from Bolton
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: ICB's Articles On British Fighters.

Cheers for the read ICB
    Hidden Content

If it's yellow, let it mellow... If it's brown, invite me 'round...

ICB Guest

Default Re: ICB's Articles On British Fighters.

Nigel Benn Continued

After the loss to Michael Watson Nigel Benn fought a few stiffs, including a good points win over the tough Sanderline Williams. Who fought the likes of James Toney x2, Iran Barkley, Herol Graham, Lindell Holmes, Gerald McClellan, Reggie Johnson, and Sanderline Williams had only been stopped, once against all those great/good fighters. So that shows you how tough he was. Nigel Benn then fought the very tough Canadian Doug DeWitt who had been the distance. With the likes of Thomas Hearns, Milton McCrory, etc. The fight was competitive for the first 2 rounds, but then during the 2nd round both men landed left hook's at the sametime but it was Nigel Benn who went down. It was a pretty heavy knockdown but he recovered quickly survived the round, and that knockdown seemed to wake up the beast inside Nigel Benn. Because after that it was all Nigel Benn as he battered Doug DeWitt round after round, he put Doug DeWitt down in the 3rd round but Doug DeWitt would make small comebacks in spurts. But Nigel Benn was far too strong and he was hitting Doug DeWitt, with everything but the kitchen sink. Until Doug DeWitt finally couldn't take no more and his body gave up on him as he was dropped multiple times in the 8th round and it was stopped. Nigel Benn had made a successful comeback and was now near the top again like he was before the loss to Michael Watson.

Next for Nigel Benn was the tough tall powerhouse Iran Barkley, who had grew up rough on the streets of New York. And had been in gangs etc, until boxing turned his life round. He had a very up and down career at that time, he gave a very good account himself in a losing effort. Against the Middleweight champion Sumbu Kalambay, he had also lost few times early in his career most notably against Robbie Simms in a wild fight. Robbie Simms was also Marvin Hagler's half brother, and had beaten the likes of Roberto Duran etc. But then Iran Barkley got his big chance against Thomas Hearns, after beating solid contender Michael Olajide in up and downer where both men hit the canvas. And amazingly to everyone Iran Barkley shocked the world, after taking an incredible beating for 3 rounds. Iran Barkley let loose with one massive right hand that put Thomas Hearns, heavily on the canvas Thomas Hearns just made the count but was badly shaken. Iran Barkley went in for the kill with two more right hands, that almost sent Thomas Hearns through the ropes and it was over. Iran Barkley had pulled off one of the biggest upsets in modern day boxing history.

To Be Continued.

Thread Information