Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I think boxing is on the brink of greatness.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I think boxing is on the brink of greatness.

I truly believe with the guys coming up, that boxing is going to be on a level it hasn't been on, at least in a really long time, The sport is being flooded with the best amateur boxers around the world, which hasn't really happened until now. I think more, and more of the best amateurs from cuba will leave, the best russian boxer is now joining the pro ranks. These guys are faster and, better technically than ever before, I am not sure if it will make the sport more interesting for everyone, but it will definitely bring up some great matches for me to watch. I already see 4-5 guys in the forseeable future being better than anybody in this passing pro generation had to offer(Roy Jones to Mayweather era).

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I think boxing is on the brink of greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I truly believe with the guys coming up, that boxing is going to be on a level it hasn't been on, at least in a really long time, The sport is being flooded with the best amateur boxers around the world, which hasn't really happened until now. I think more, and more of the best amateurs from cuba will leave, the best russian boxer is now joining the pro ranks. These guys are faster and, better technically than ever before, I am not sure if it will make the sport more interesting for everyone, but it will definitely bring up some great matches for me to watch. I already see 4-5 guys in the forseeable future being better than anybody in this passing pro generation had to offer(Roy Jones to Mayweather era).
    I hope you're right, we've seen some great examples of young fighters with skill, power, slickness and charisma popping up left and right. The tide may be turning away from MMA once again.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We'll see, I think MMA is equally getting better fighters. 10 years from now even Anderson SIlva won't be able to hang with those guys. THat sport has so much potential as a sport its not even funny, but boxing has its boundaries pretty much layed out, its the athletes that make it special, and these kids coming up are the finest athletes I've ever seen in the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We'll see, I think MMA is equally getting better fighters. 10 years from now even Anderson SIlva won't be able to hang with those guys. THat sport has so much potential as a sport its not even funny, but boxing has its boundaries pretty much layed out, its the athletes that make it special, and these kids coming up are the finest athletes I've ever seen in the sport.
    Out of these boxers you speak of I see none in the HW division. That division is the weakest it has ever been at any point of time since I have been watching boxing and there is no one in sight of changing that

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
    Out of these boxers you speak of I see none in the HW division. That division is the weakest it has ever been at any point of time since I have been watching boxing and there is no one in sight of changing that
    plonker

not you scraps fighter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

....i'm not so sure, that kimbo slice bullshit sure gave boxing a run for it's money in the action dept.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with pretty much everything Taeth says except I also believe (and have said this before numerous times)...Boxing hurts itself by not focusing more on the little guys....the HW division has been the flagship of boxing until about 5 or so years ago...the WW division has always been hot with the exception of small breaks in time but the smaller guys have always had a big talent pool and lots of action....

If MMA boxings supposed rival in attraction can make stars out of smaller guys then we can too...the promotrs just seem to choose not to put the effort into it
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything Taeth says except I also believe (and have said this before numerous times)...Boxing hurts itself by not focusing more on the little guys....the HW division has been the flagship of boxing until about 5 or so years ago...the WW division has always been hot with the exception of small breaks in time but the smaller guys have always had a big talent pool and lots of action....

If MMA boxings supposed rival in attraction can make stars out of smaller guys then we can too...the promotrs just seem to choose not to put the effort into it
    Alot of it is King,he bet the farm on heavy's,and now that there isnt anybody interesting.............................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i wish boxing was on the brink of greatness but its not. im gonna put it like this if its not on sportscenter then its not gonna be seen to the public eye. but boxing fans which includes everybody that has registered to become a member at saddos are the people who really pay attention to boxing. i can ask about 10 people who is manny pacquiao and only about 2-3 can say (i know who he is). sorry but besides boxing fans everybody else forgets that the sport still exists

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post
    i wish boxing was on the brink of greatness but its not. im gonna put it like this if its not on sportscenter then its not gonna be seen to the public eye. but boxing fans which includes everybody that has registered to become a member at saddos are the people who really pay attention to boxing. i can ask about 10 people who is manny pacquiao and only about 2-3 can say (i know who he is). sorry but besides boxing fans everybody else forgets that the sport still exists
    It's really true what you say here. When I tell my friends a big fight is coming up I have to use words like "Tyson", "Ali", "Lewis" and other heavyweight greats to explain the fight or they won't get it.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with the title. I think boxing will be coming on strong in the next few years.I was Around the horn and PTI yesterday and it was amazing how much these guy's really dislike MMA. I agree with them for the most part I mean Kimbo Slice is the most popular fighter in the world and this man was taken out by a nobody. I believe MMA is on the decline right now do to that fight over the weekend and now if Klitschko and Peter were to put on a terrific match and also broadcast on NBC I think it was. Boxing will take over the spotlight just like that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post
    I agree to the extent your post is asserting that in order to garner excitement about the sport, boxing needs major television networks to showcase it. However, that doesn't mean that in terms of the sport, not the publicity, it isn't on the verge of greatness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing needs to pay its dues in the goodwill department. The ground would be laid if that Tarver bout that was supposed to be on ABC had panned out. Sometimes you can make more money when you give your product away. Your biggest fights are on PPV, then on premium channels then on basic cable then zilch. A lot of people don't have cable at all and they aren't being reached. If one BIG fight were put on regular TV with a decent undercard imagine the people who would tune in next time one of those guys was on ESPN, bump up to the premium channel to catch him on HBO or plunk down the cash to see him on a PPV. It's not happening because outside of hardcore boxing fans people are disconnected from the sport. There's no regular season, the only recognizable division is a shambles, too many titles, etc. Imagine a big advertisement campaign that gets time in primetime. Tons of people would mark their calendars. And you'd also have the people who just so happened to cruise by and put the remote down. It could make a lot of money if the promoters packaged it right and open the door to a longterm relationship. I'm surprised CBS hasn't done it already given that they've already been doing the same thing with Showtime and Elite XC.
    Oops

Thread Information