Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing Combination help- Jab, Cross, Left Head Hook

Ok, this question may seem silly to ask, but I'll ask it anyways. One of my favorite combinations, if I can pull it off well enough, is the Jab, Cross, Left Head Hook, Cross. My cross is my most powerful punch, and like a lot of right-handed boxers, I like to use it. However, from what I've read from boxing books, to throw the 1-2-3, you need to shorten the Cross to allow for a hard finishing Left Hook.

I'm not too crazy about that idea, because it shortens my favorite punch. I have a decent Left Hook, but I prefer my Cross over it. Therefore, my question is, do you think you can throw both the Cross and Left Hook with equal power with the weight transfers. When you've sparred before, did you ever shorten the Cross to set up the Left Hook, and did you ever NOT shorten the Cross, but threw it regularly and landed the Left Hook off of it. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Combination help- Jab, Cross, Left Head Hook

Youve got to modify to your oponnent,a wider cross might work better for a guys whose hands are double up,if he's got a staggered stance to cover the body,a quicker shorter cross would probably work bettter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also depends on the range you are in, ie you can almost draw a parry out by stepping diagonally to the left and targeting just short of their right hand (hands up style). They then have to extend out for the parry, leaving their chin open for a nice left hook. But boxing is a sport which is situationally dependent, you have to be able to modify the way you are fighting in real time. Basically what i'm trying to say, is practise everything, take everyones advice on board. But most of all find out what works best for you, which can only be done with practise. This is one of my favourite quotes from the peaceful warrior...

"Everyone wants to tell you what to do and what's good for you. They don't want you to find your own answers, they want you to believe theirs"
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingDude66 View Post
    Ok, this question may seem silly to ask, but I'll ask it anyways. One of my favorite combinations, if I can pull it off well enough, is the Jab, Cross, Left Head Hook, Cross. My cross is my most powerful punch, and like a lot of right-handed boxers, I like to use it. However, from what I've read from boxing books, to throw the 1-2-3, you need to shorten the Cross to allow for a hard finishing Left Hook.
    not a silly question at all. actually, its been a problem ive been trying to overcome during shadowboxing also. I mean its supposed to be the most basic combo but i having the same problem you are trying to get the hook off the cross. I went through it step by step, and from what i gathered. In order for me to get pop on my hook, i had to make sure i was pivoting correctly on my cross and not overextending. Also making sure my weight was on the front foot after the cross was out.

If something goes wrong with the cross, the hook is lost. So my advice is make sure you're pivoting on the ball of your back foot and twisting your shoulders. I had tendency to push off my back foot for the cross instead of pivoting, which did two things. It made me overextend which in turn, left me in no position to come back with a awesome left hook.

So no, i dont think you have to shorten your cross to come back with a good left hook and yeah hope that helps, and if you come up with any brilliant breakthroughs, lemme know, as im still working on this myself.
    Last edited by southpawed; 10-09-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the advice. I especially liked your advice, southpawed, because it possibly means that I can keep the Cross nice and sharp and throw an equally powerful Left Hook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingDude66 View Post
    Hey thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the advice. I especially liked your advice, southpawed, because it possibly means that I can keep the Cross nice and sharp and throw an equally powerful Left Hook.
    yeah, as long as the technique on your cross is clean, and you've thrown it with the proper mechanics. I dont see why you would be out of position to throw a good left hook off it.

Thread Information