Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Amazing footage of Stanley Ketchel vs Jack Johnson

"WOW folks i've just read some great history of a great fighter of STANLEY KETCHEL of Grand Rapids Michigan.STANLEY KETCHEL was born in 1886 on september 14th of Polish heritage.He left home at the age of 12 and started his career in saloon fights and worked his way up to middleweight division.He weighed just less than 160lbs but he still managed to fight Heavyweights first ever champ "JACK JOHNSON" for the heavyweight title(mad!)

Here is some really really really old and fantasic footage of the fight.By the way this fight was over 20rounds.

You really need to read up on KETCHEL to really understand how fucking hard he was!!!!!He was hard as their come,BELIEVE ME!!!

Please read up on this guy,PLEASE!He's AMAZING.His life was very short due to him being murdered.He was only 24year old and he had a great record of 49 K.Os from 64 fight career.

P.S watch closley at this video to see Jack Johnson pick out KETCHEL two front teeth out of his glove

REALLY HARD MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ketchel is the small white fella.

Im really amazed that this fight is on film.It's got to be the oldest fight footage ever!!!Great stuff!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp20AKdyyXg
    Last edited by yvonne; 10-13-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Amazing footage of Stanley Ketchel vs Jack Johnson

Seriously,this guy Stanley Ketchel is one hell of a guy!!!His life was really really short after getting shot dead by some fruit-cake with a gun,which is romoured to be his unknown father.I tell you,you have to really look up a book on this great man of STANLEY KETCHEL.There's a great possiblility that there'll be a life-based film made on him sooner or later.I only got to read just the tip of the iceberg of this great man and im really looking forward to read up and get to know more about him.
    He has a great true story to his fast hard short life!

Check him out folks

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I often ask myself, "Were these fighters from yesteryear really that great?"
    Fighters whom there's videos of that are about 3-5 min. long
    Fighters whom there's NO videos on.

How great of a fighter does "text" and "stories" make a fighter?
    How do you rate a fighter like that?

Some year's back I remember reading on paper about a SRR fight one of his fights at Welterweight. Then some time past and I happened to come across an article in regards to that same fight and I couldn't help it but notice how different both writers described the fight. It was almost like they were both in 2 different fights it was like the only thing that was similar was the result... and SRR was a Welterweight in the 40's now imagine writers from the 1800's and early 1900's. Fuck knows what they wrote...

So you gotta ask yourself how much weight does text carry?

As for the video between Ketchel-Johnson a few things.

The fight was scheduled for 20 rds. but only went 12 rds.
    As far as being the oldest fight on film, it's not. I saw a documentary years ago and I believe the 1st fight/film ever recorder was when Thomas Edison (I'm sure your familiar with him, I know I am. I send his ass a check with his last name on it every month ) payed "Gentleman" Corbett and Peter Corckney to fight for him. Which in part made Jim Corbett the 1st payed actor ever the film was also the 1st film to make profit. I remember this well because Corbett is wearing a thong. or little short shorts...

The 1st HW title fight ever to be on film is Fitzsimmons vs. Corbett the year was 1897. Fitzsimmons won via KO.

Crazy little story that I learned from the documentary.

Leading up the fight between Fitzsimmons and Corbett. Fitzsimmons was a Middleweight who like Ketchel did years later moved up to HW to fight for the title. That's where the money was. Anyway, Fitzsimmons faced Tom Sharkey in a fight that was labeled as a fight for the HW title. Well guess who was the ref. for the fight?
    None other then Wyatt Earp yes that's right THEE Wyatt Earp...
    Well the fight went on as scheduled, Fitzsimmons sparked out Sharkey BUUUUUUUT good 'ol Wyatt Earp DQ'd Fitzsimmons and awarded Sharkey the win. It was later found out that Earp had bet some HEEEEAVY money on Sharkey to win.
    The history of boxing so full of great stories...

You'll often read that I don't rate fighters whom my eyes have not seen much of. I can't how do I or for that matter anyone else rate Greb, Langford, Benny etc. etc. with fighters whom there is film of.
    I could understand a separate list or rating for fighters like them but to mix in fighters whom I've never seen on film with fighters whom I have does not make sense to me.
    But to each it's own, I guess. I'm rambling now so I'll just click the Reply button now.
    Last edited by CutMeMick; 10-14-2008 at 07:04 AM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hahaha I got this Ketchel v Johnson fight on a DVD and he does have his teeth embedded in his glove and is seen brushing them off.
    Apparantley this was supposed to make Johnson look the part and Ketchel never read the script and floored him,hard to see on youtube but on my dvd you can see JJ grinning as he gets up then.... BANG!! he bashes his teeth out and sparks him
    Size wise it's a total miss match by todays standards as Ketchel looks like a light middle and Johnson was a large chap who used to taunt and toy with his opponents.
    But those where the days when men were men,EVERYONE wore a sh*t hat and smoked a pipe and women were mere kitchen ridden f*ck objects.
    HAPPY DAYS!
    Last edited by smashup; 10-14-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's a more detailed background of Stanley Ketchel.A interesting read for sure!!!Fantstic photo too!

Ketchel was named in the RING MAGAZINE2004 as the 6th most best punchers in boxing history.

Stanley Ketchel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by yvonne; 10-14-2008 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's only a matter of time til some great film director films this great short career of Stanley Ketchel and bring him back alive again in all of his glory for all of us to see.It has eveything in his life that would make a great movie.Im sure it'll be made by some director sooner or later.I'll be AWESOME to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"WOW!!""

I just found this great great old footage of Jack Johnson warming up for the fight with Stanley Kitchel.It's fantastic to watch great old footage like this.....It's amazing really,to think that this was filmed 100years ago to

Enjoy folks!!!Fantasic

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rlpB4MKl460

"THE DAYS WHEN MEN WERE MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Last edited by yvonne; 10-14-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love the quote that Jack Johnson used between rounds in the Ketchel fight.Jack johnson says to this corner after a round,"THAT MAN IS'NT HUMAN!"
    A thrase that has been used in ROCKY4

Im really hoping that Ketchel life get made into a great movie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

great post bro!!!
    I had seen that before and I am amazed every time I see it!

ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog View Post
    great post bro!!!
    I had seen that before and I am amazed every time I see it!

I find it totally amazing too.Great to watch great history like that!!Im going to have to by Ketchel's book.Sounds a fantasic read

Thread Information