Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bernard Hopkins Shows a Lot of Class

No matter what people think of BHop, he showed me a lot of class and respect today after the fight. Although things got heated immediately after the fight, BHop's lips quivered with emotion as he stared down press row. After he gathered himself he walked over to Pavlik and stood face to face and told him (I'm paraphrasing) that "You are one hell of a fighter and I'm telling you that you just need to add some slickness into your style. You need to listen to your coach and bend your knees like he's telling you to. If I have to come to your gym and beat you with a bat to do it, I will. Don't make me come and find you. Don't let this fight destroy you. You are a great middleweight and you need to rule there. You are a great fighter. I'm a real guy and I'm telling you. I'm from the street too. Don't let this fight get to you. Are you ok? (Pavlik answers yes, I'm ok). I'm serious. You are a great fighter."

Really classy move by BHop, even if he didn't really mean it - to offer the advice and comfort to a young Pavlik - I just thought it was a great gesture and credit the the sport. . . .the art rather of boxing.

As one of the older generation (don't ask), it's good to see we still have something to teach you youngsters.
    DC Amateur Boxing
    The Largest Online Amateur Boxing Resource
    with over 4 million total views since March 2008!!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bernard Hopkins Shows a Lot of Class

BHOP was really humble. Showed class in his victory. That's why I am a fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea, now im a even bigger fan than ever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That he did. Great show of class by BHop.

I just cannot get over how dominating he was. His pace was really good also.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins is a legend

Problem is anything he does now will be a step down . He cant possibly top that . It was awesome. I think Hopkins beats everyone apart from Calzaghe and Dawson .

Well doen for turning back the clock . If Jones gets lucky in 2 weeks there has to be a rematch

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I swear it was the student and the pupil moment that could genuinely benefit Pavlik's career, he stood there and listened to every word from a guy who knows a thing or two, I thought it was classy.

How many fighters have been broken on that moment? That moment where everything was going for them like a runaway freight train of hype and then a wiley old guy gave you a dose of reality? I can remember quite a few, take my favorite fighter Jeff Lacy.

It's a big deal it really is, if Pavlik can pick his career back up I guarantee he'll at least acknowedge that moment being a big deal. Also, I think there is a grain of truth in everytihng Bernard Hopkins says.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A clinic.Thought he could take it but not like that,Much respect !

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never been a Hopkins fan... but you have to give credit where credit is due. The man fought an excellent fight, and spoke well to Pavlik afterwards. Who WAS that masked man, anyway?!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, although I've always been a big fan of Hopkins, I didn't see him winning this fight. I thought that Pavlik would have secured a solid decision victory for himself. I caught the fight
    from the second round on, and by the fifth round it was pretty obvious that I was watching something special: Hopkins put on the performance of performances and defined the pace of the fight on his own terms from the opening bell onward. You don't have many opportunities to witness something like that. It was a really special night for the sport of sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Well, although I've always been a big fan of Hopkins, I didn't see him winning this fight. I thought that Pavlik would have secured a solid decision victory for himself. I caught the fight
    from the second round on, and by the fifth round it was pretty obvious that I was watching something special: Hopkins put on the performance of performances and defined the pace of the fight on his own terms from the opening bell onward. You don't have many opportunities to witness something like that. It was a really special night for the sport of sports.
    I am with you. I would have loved to see BHop win, but I wouldn't have take the 4:1 odds either. But I'm glad he proved me wrong and this was really a great night for boxing in general. I don't know how we can top that either, but if someone comes along with another $3 Million plus, you better believe he will try.
    DC Amateur Boxing
    The Largest Online Amateur Boxing Resource
    with over 4 million total views since March 2008!!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins should retire and train Pavlik.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never been a huge fan of Hopkins, but always respected what he did. And being a huge Pavlik fan, I have to give Bhop all respect in the world. He showed great respect for Kelly after and I hope Kelly was listening cuz Bernard was being truthful to him. Guess we will have to wait and see. But congrats to Bhop for that performance and class.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do think bhop says lots of shit that he doesn't mean or does just for publicity but I think what he said to kelly he really meant. I mean you got to remember bhop isn't really someone blessed with natural boxing finesse necessarily, he's a guy who learned the trade as he went along, getting better as he got older. Maybe, just maybe bhop saw a little bit of himself in kelly, and as someone said hop should retire and become a trainer I think he'd be rather good at it. As for kelly dam stay at 160 and don't go near crafty boxers for a few years...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had ringsides seats for this fight. Not really...was fighting myself out of town and the venue had this fight on a big screen and it started just as my fight ended. All the fans poured around the big TV and we all watched it, which was completely awesome.

It felt like ringside, being there with fans alike, and having a seat with the smell of the gym in the air, and what a display it was. I won't deny I had my chips on Pavlik to win, but it also wouldn't of surprised me to see BHop pull it out. And as we know now, he did more then that.

I'd like anyone to try and make an arguement now about why we should get rid of the older fighters to make way for the new. How could we ever do such a thing? We simply cannot, and Bernard is now the reasoning and arguement for it. We never know when we might see something great.

And great was what Bernard Hopkins performance was last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great words from a great fighter at the end.

What was that about at the end of round 12?

Thread Information