Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: does this fight cement joe c's legacy?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default does this fight cement joe c's legacy?

cant decide myself, but i certainly thought hopkins was on a decline, but to beat pavlik like that i was wrong, thoughts on if this fight has further put joe up in the p4p and legacy rankings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: does this fight cement joe c's legacy?

no, he barley won a split decision. and many people think he still lost. just cause he won a very close decision against bhop and hopkins beat the crap outta pavlik doesnt mean it cements joes legacy at all. but bhop beating a young undefeated champion does more for his legacy which has already been accomplished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also. I saw hopkins get severely gassed after 6 against joe and stop punching entirely, i didn't see that tonight.

All tonight proved was that hopkins COULD have fought a much more active fight against joe than he did.
    Now I'm questioning if he trained properly for the Joe fight. Hopkins tonight would have beaten Joe IMO.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe stopped Hopkins from fighting a 'more active' fight that's the difference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Please tell me you are being sarcastic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by intoccabile View Post
    Also. I saw hopkins get severely gassed after 6 against joe and stop punching entirely, i didn't see that tonight.

All tonight proved was that hopkins COULD have fought a much more active fight against joe than he did.
    Now I'm questioning if he trained properly for the Joe fight. Hopkins tonight would have beaten Joe IMO.
    Yeah, absolutely no doubt about it.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by intoccabile View Post

Its nonsense to say that this version of BHop would have beaten Calzaghe. Pavlik was slow, flat and didnt throw anything. Of course BHop wasnt gassed in there. Pavlik had no output and struggled to even shoot of the jab. Pavlik didnt apply intelligent pressure, Calzaghe does. And Calzaghe is far slicker than Pavlik, faster, and an all round far superior boxer.

If Hopkins faces Calzaghe again, it will be a wider victory for Joe. Calzaghe has that style worked out now, and would just bring it to Hopkins earlier.

Hopkins fought a great fight, but to suggest that would have been enough to deter Calzaghe is fantasyland stuff. As far as Im concerned Calzaghe hismself had the off night against Hopkins, and still cantered home down the stretch.

I wouldnt mind seeing them at it again actually, now that Pavlik has fallen off the radar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miles,frankly your full of it,you can make a clear case Bernard won.Ive never complained about the decision, because work rate even without landing,which Joe rarely did,will get you the judges. But only one fighter got hurt in that fight,and it was Joe.
    The only things that got hurt in that fight going Joes way was,Joes knuckles and Bernards biceps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don´t think so, but I was surprised to see B´hop being the Ghostbuster

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Miles,frankly your full of it,you can make a clear case Bernard won.Ive never complained about the decision, because work rate even without landing,which Joe rarely did,will get you the judges. But only one fighter got hurt in that fight,and it was Joe.
    The only things that got hurt in that fight going Joes way was,Joes knuckles and Bernards biceps
    I dont think a case can be made for Hopkins winning that. The knockdown kept it close enough, but Hopkins was completely outhustled from the 6th onwards. And Calzaghe was clearly working his way into it prior to that. Calzaghe got put down and got straight back up. The only thing hurt was Calzaghes pride having made the start he did.

Like I say, I wouldnt mind seeing a rematch because I think Calzaghe has the smarts to do it much more concisively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I dont think a case can be made for Hopkins winning that. The knockdown kept it close enough, but Hopkins was completely outhustled from the 6th onwards. And Calzaghe was clearly working his way into it prior to that. Calzaghe got put down and got straight back up. The only thing hurt was Calzaghes pride having made the start he did.

Like I say, I wouldnt mind seeing a rematch because I think Calzaghe has the smarts to do it much more concisively.
    Actually the rematch Id like to see is Clazeghe Kessler,Id like to see what Mikel does with two healthy hands in there

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually the rematch Id like to see is Clazeghe Kessler,Id like to see what Mikel does with two healthy hands in there
    Would be an interesting fight, but Calzaghe won that last one too convincingly. Calzaghe has probably this fight and one more maximum. I cannot imagine Kessler getting another chance at Joe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would be an interesting fight, but Calzaghe won that last one too convincingly. Calzaghe has probably this fight and one more maximum. I cannot imagine Kessler getting another chance at Joe.
    Still,Joe and Bernard go after each other again,Ive allready seen this fight,Bernard will hurt Joe early,and try to coast in the second half of the fight.
    The judging may go differently, but it will be the same fight.
    Kessler with two hands against Joe would be WAY more interesting

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just proves that Kelly was overhyped and I include myself in doing that.

Bernard took him to school and showed that Kelly only has one real way of fighting. People like Hopkins and Calzaghe are versatile and can adjust which is why they have been at the top so long.

It makes Jack Loew look like the mouthy clown he is, I bet Enzo Calzaghe is laughing his head off - They said Kelly wasn't upto it and Bernard proved them right.

For the record Joe beat Bernard by imposing his fight on Hopkins and clawed his way back from the early set back of a knockdown - thats proof of Greatness and Bhop schooling Pavlik, who couldn't impose his fight game on Hopkins, just emphasizes that Bhop and Joe are Great fighters.

You can moan and complain but you can't change the result.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that this fight shows how great Joe Calzaghe is.

Everyone made an excuse than Hopkins was past his prime but he just went in with the best young America and dominated him easily . Proof that Joe must have boxed really well to land so many shots on Hopkins.

Thread Information