Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Pavlik overrated ???

Pavlik got beat up and made to look like a average fighter by the old dog in Hopkins.

Pavlik looks very good when people stand infront of him but when people box and move he finds it hard first against Taylor in the second fight and then Hopkins took him to school.Or is it something to do with him moving up in weight? Or the fact that he is overrated?

Or maybe he just had a very bad night against Calzaghe which is possible
    just look at how bad Calzaghe was made to look.

Whats every1s opinion?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Is Pavlik overrated ???

I will use my 200th post to say that he is indeed overrated and was exposed last night as being too one dimensional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Pavlik overrated ???

No he isn't overrated how can he be after his 2 wins over Jermain Taylor the same Jermain Taylor who beat Hopkins twice and his big win over Edison Miranda and the first to stop him. Hopkins just fought a great fight made Kelly fight his fight and took him to school he took all Pavliks major tools away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

overrated no...over hyped yes...Pavlik's whole reputation is based on his blue collar work ethic and power...Not his skilll as a great fighter

Then kid is still learning and will improve IMO....

It is almost like a Fernando Vargas saga...they used his power to burst him into the big scene and it ruined him...Pavlik older and won't end up the same way by being thrust into too many big fights before he is ready but they relied on his KO punch too much
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He has been overrated by many BUT lost to a great fighter.. so no disgrace in that.

With his style he was always going to lose sooner rather than later.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To me the only people who are overratting him are those who try and say he is shit and overatted.

I think most fans can see Kelly for what he is, a big strong, exciting kid with an all action style but who is raw.

Nobody has proclaimed him to be an all time great, he's just an exciting fighter who has scored dominant wins over Edison Miranda and Jermain Taylor.

He wasn't ready for Bernard Hopkins but no shame in that, he's only 26.

I don't understand all the hate that comes a fighters way when they lose, almost as if they had evily deceived the public and fans into thinking they were better than they were.

He's a great fighter to watch, I love his story and the fact that he's just a humble working class kid and he can punch.

Why do people have to act like him losing is vindication for them as if he's some kind of fraudster or conman?

I don't understand the mindsets of fanyboys which is I why I mostly stick to making random posts on the hidden board.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    He has been overrated by many BUT lost to a great fighter.. so no disgrace in that.

I think he would've been pretty safe to reign at Middleweight for a good while without his hype dying down, but of course your not wrong about his style. There's probably a good five people I'd pick to beat him at 68 now without even mentioning Calzaghe or Hopkins. Someone else said it, but you have to wonder what the hell Pavlik was expecting to happen in there, he looked like he'd never seen lateral movement in his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would say as a middle weight Pavlik is not overrated but as a light heavy weight he is. Pavlik has looked bad in both fights that are at a high catch weight. Hopkins looked alot faster , stronger , and full of stamina that I have scene him since his mid 30's. He was not tired. He was busy and he was landing bombs. Pavlik has a great chin. I will say his chin is very good after seeing him take that many shots. He needs to get down and defend for years at 160. He also needs more help than what Jack Loew can give him.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

I think he would've been pretty safe to reign at Middleweight for a good while without his hype dying down, but of course your not wrong about his style. There's probably a good five people I'd pick to beat him at 68 now without even mentioning Calzaghe or Hopkins. Someone else said it, but you have to wonder what the hell Pavlik was expecting to happen in there, he looked like he'd never seen lateral movement in his life.
    I think you're right although he and Abraham is 50/50 (i slightly favour Abraham.. did so before the Hopkins fight) but agree he will be best suited to stay at middleweight for a good while.

He now has the problem of getting over the Hopkins thrashing too.. i expect he will be brought back with Duddy types.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For some reason pavlik had no speed at all last night. He was slow slow, hopkins could see every punch coming from a mile away. Pavlik was even speed against taylor, but hopkins was way quicker in this fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    overrated no...over hyped yes...Pavlik's whole reputation is based on his blue collar work ethic and power...Not his skilll as a great fighter

Then kid is still learning and will improve IMO....

It is almost like a Fernando Vargas saga...they used his power to burst him into the big scene and it ruined him...Pavlik older and won't end up the same way by being thrust into too many big fights before he is ready but they relied on his KO punch too much
    Bingo !! Agree.That being said,it took a still fluid ATG who frankly was dismissed with maybe a little to much ease at times going into the fight? Pavlik's arms were funtional and he was doing what he could,being nullified at every turn.Watch it in slo-mo,(if you have no social life lol) the subtle shifts and counters were so damn telling.Where's Flava flav when ya need him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by awdleyfuturehalloffamer View Post
    For some reason pavlik had no speed at all last night. He was slow slow, hopkins could see every punch coming from a mile away. Pavlik was even speed against taylor, but hopkins was way quicker in this fight.
    Hopkins looked like the old Hopkins. Pavlik 10 extra pounds looks alot slower at 170 than 160.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All credit must go to Hopkins who fought a near perfect fight, Pavlik was tight and the extra pounds did not help him, it's back to Middleweight Kelly for at least 2 years, super middle at maximum or face another humiliating defeat.
    Pavlik was never in this fight from the beginning and was well schooled by the aging warrior in Bernard Hopkins. Pavlik V Abraham is still an attractive fight IMO.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I give all the credit to Hopkins. Pavlik was mentally distracted coz he was not expecting that Hopkins could move so fast and so accurate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no he is not overrated he just took a beating. im sure hel learn from this.

Thread Information