Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default To me this is the beginning of the end of MMA

Less than two years following the formation of ProElite, Inc., the group notified employees and fighters Monday it was shutting its doors effective immediately, multiple sources confirmed to SI.com.
    ProElite was an entertainment and media company founded in partnership with Showtime Networks and spearheaded by the mixed martial arts promotional brand EliteXC.
    Representatives for ProElite, EliteXC and Showtime did not return calls for comment.
    Through its partnership with Showtime and later CBS, which in 2008 agreed to broadcast four live EliteXC events in primetime, EliteXC gained a tremendous amount of visibility. The company, however, hemorrhaged tens of millions of dollars during its 22 months in operation.
    In September, Showtime, which owned a 20 percent stake in ProElite, entered into preliminary negotiations to purchase a controlling interest in the company. When those negotiations failed, said a source inside ProElite who asked not to be identified, funding dried up and the company was forced out of business.
    Beginning with Rumble on the Rock, ProElite purchased numerous MMA promotional brands around the world, including King of the Cage, Cage Rage, ICON, and Spirit MC. While these companies remained in operation, the focus was EliteXC, which held 17 events starting with its first card Feb. 10, 2007.
    EliteXC's third card with CBS on Oct. 4 was also its last as a promoter. Headlined by the controversial Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson, the event made headlines with discussion surrounding the legitimacy of the main event between Ferguson and Seth Petruzelli. The bout is currently under investigation by the Florida State Athletic Commission.
    After debuting on May 31 to an audience of 6.5 million viewers, EliteXC's ratings on CBS fell significantly in its second effort drawing just 2.7 million in July. In its last event the numbers appeared to bounce back nicely, with an average audience of 4.5 million.
    Kelly Kahl, senior executive vice president of programming operations at CBS, declined to comment on ProElite's demise.
    EliteXC was scheduled to promote its final event of the year Nov. 8 on Showtime, however the manager for lightweight Nick Diaz, who was scheduled to fight Eddie Alvarez that night for the organization's 160-pound belt, said he was told the event would not take place absent a last-minute "miracle" investor.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: To me this is the beginning of the end of MMA

I don't really see how this in any way indicates the failure of MMA.

That's like saying the demise of the Contender show from a primetime NBC slot to it's current spot on the Alabama Home Shopping network means the beginning of the end of boxing.

MMA is a massively growing sport and will continue to grow over the next few years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually with Golden Boy Promotions teaming up with Affliction, it may very well be the START of MMA now.

Golden Boy and Affliction will be doing events where MMA and Boxing are on the same show.
    They were pushing for Margi vs Mosely on that card, but Margi's team don't like the money HBO is offering and feel like Mosely could ruin a huge Cotto/margi 2 payday.

But just the fact that things like this are happening, Boxing and MMA coming together, that imo is a huge step foward. The Problem with MMA is actually Dana White. He's the Vince McMahon of MMA.

Other orgs are willing to create a sanctioning body under 1 roof for MMA, a few linear titles, and have everyone fight. But Dana wants no part of it. He just wants it to be UFC and nothing else.. and THATS MMAs downfall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by intoccabile View Post
    Actually with Golden Boy Promotions teaming up with Affliction, it may very well be the START of MMA now.

Golden Boy and Affliction will be doing events where MMA and Boxing are on the same show.
    They were pushing for Margi vs Mosely on that card, but Margi's team don't like the money HBO is offering and feel like Mosely could ruin a huge Cotto/margi 2 payday.

But just the fact that things like this are happening, Boxing and MMA coming together, that imo is a huge step foward. The Problem with MMA is actually Dana White. He's the Vince McMahon of MMA.

Other orgs are willing to create a sanctioning body under 1 roof for MMA, a few linear titles, and have everyone fight. But Dana wants no part of it. He just wants it to be UFC and nothing else.. and THATS MMAs downfall.
    I don't see any boxing promoters wanting to do that kind of thing. Dana White has the biggest and most successful organization. I am sure all the small time promoters would love to jump in and start splitting the pie with Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank. If boxing can survive it's multiple sanctioning bodies, multiple organizations, promoters, titles, etc... Why would MMA fail from it?

Also why would he want to share his success with people that didn't really build it? He is probably looking at pro football as a model more than boxing. He is trying to build a brand and so far he's the only successful one doing it so why share? Think about it.... football having the NFL isn't ruined, baseball having the MLB isn't ruined, NBA, so on. He wants the top guys to want to grow up and be in the UFC. I don't see how that ruins MMA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's already losing his fighters 1 by 1 to other Orgs, and no one is in a hurry to sign new contracts when their old ones expire.

" Golden Boy and Affliction will partner 50-50 on at least four pay-per-view shows next year that will include boxing matches and MMA fights on the same card. Smaller promoters have paired the two sports on cards, but never at the top level.

"We're looking to put together top MMA fighters as well as top boxers in one night. I think the two worlds have finally merged, and this is a perfect example," Affliction vice president Tom Atencio said. "

And as for you not seeing promoters going for it, too late. It's already happening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing is doing perfectly well with MMA also being a big sport. Why boxing fans feel threatened by it's presence baffles me. Thats what this post says to me anyway

They are both exiting sports but I choose boxing, because it has great history and MMA never gets my pulse racing like boxing does.

Most MMA fans are not converted boxing fans or boxing fans at all from my experience.

Boxing and MMA CAN and WILL co-exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    Boxing is doing perfectly well with MMA also being a big sport. Why boxing fans feel threatened by it's presence baffles me. Thats what this post says to me anyway

They are both exiting sports but I choose boxing, because it has great history and MMA never gets my pulse racing like boxing does.

Most MMA fans are not converted boxing fans or boxing fans at all from my experience.

Boxing and MMA CAN and WILL co-exist.
    I agree.
    but MMAs downfall right now is the UFC. As of right now alot of possible MMA fights are dream matches.. because Dana doesn't want his fighters fighting on other shows, or doesn't want to do work with other orgs to tag team a ppv.

This is going to hurt MMA, badly. Boxers are all under one roof and everyones free to challange each other - MMA doesn't have this. This is why there are so many rematches that always take place in the UFC.. the rosters are limited to just those within the house hold.

I personally enjoy them both. I get to see the most skill and drama in boxing, but MMA gives me a fix aswell. They can, and hopefully will co-exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's already losing his fighters 1 by 1 to other Orgs, and no one is in a hurry to sign new contracts when their old ones expire.

" Golden Boy and Affliction will partner 50-50 on at least four pay-per-view shows next year that will include boxing matches and MMA fights on the same card. Smaller promoters have paired the two sports on cards, but never at the top level.

"We're looking to put together top MMA fighters as well as top boxers in one night. I think the two worlds have finally merged, and this is a perfect example," Affliction vice president Tom Atencio said. "

And as for you not seeing promoters going for it, too late. It's already happening.

I mean getting together and making one sanctioning body, league, etc. Boxing is far from it....

Kids say "I want to be in the NBA, nfl, mbl, etc."
    They don't say "I want to be in DKP, GBP, TR, etc...."
    Boxing is run by promoters promoting their own and their specific interests.
    Losing fighters doesn't ruin MMA. Competetion should make it better for the fighters. USFL didn't ruin NFL. CBA doesn't ruin NBA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame View Post

I mean getting together and making one sanctioning body, league, etc. Boxing is far from it....

Losing fighters doesn't ruin MMA. Competetion should make it better for the fighters. USFL didn't ruin NFL. CBA doesn't ruin NBA.
    Ah, I see. But with something like fighting, it's a completely different thing, ya know?
    Because NFL has the best of teh best players and teams, NBA aswell, etc.
    The rest are like development leagues and the NFL or NBA grabs them. There is none of that with MMA. I.E - Fedor and Randy should have fought a long time ago. Dana won't have it. There are tons of fights in MMA that should have happened long ago that can't now and it's unfair to the fighters and the public.

MMA would make so much more money if EVERY fight regardless of org could fight. That is why boxing is so successful. There is no " Well.. Bhop can't rematch Roy because Roy fights for a different org now "

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Initally I looked at the Title and said ....GOOD.Just do not foul up the boxing and co-mingle cards.Do another 80+ years and we'll talk

Honestly though,just a matter of time !!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Initally I looked at the Title and said ....GOOD.Just do not foul up the boxing and co-mingle cards.Do another 80+ years and we'll talk

Honestly though,just a matter of time !!
    Skeletons can't talk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a boxing fan AND an MMA fan. ie, I like combat sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luvfightgame View Post

Ah, I see. But with something like fighting, it's a completely different thing, ya know?
    Because NFL has the best of teh best players and teams, NBA aswell, etc.
    The rest are like development leagues and the NFL or NBA grabs them. There is none of that with MMA. I.E - Fedor and Randy should have fought a long time ago. Dana won't have it. There are tons of fights in MMA that should have happened long ago that can't now and it's unfair to the fighters and the public.

MMA would make so much more money if EVERY fight regardless of org could fight. That is why boxing is so successful. There is no " Well.. Bhop can't rematch Roy because Roy fights for a different org now "
    I think that is what Dana White is trying to accomplish. He wants UFC to be the NFL and everything else to be training grounds. Because they are the top dogs, they outlasted everyone else (pride). Then when new organizations pop up (affliction) and sign a few fighters he doesn't want to give them legitimacy by sharing the limelight. Seriously they are a tshirt company. They copied tapout, and now ufc

Fedor made his own decision. Ufc acquired pride which should have made those fights possible. Then the new kid on the block picks up some fighters and starts putting on shows. Fedor went with the new guys. It's not Dana's fault.

Boxing is terribly divided. Although they don't belong to organizations, they have the same issues with promoters. Don King requires options on fighters and the Klitchkos and others won't fight his fighters because of that. Also there are alot more padded records in boxing than MMA. Dana will give guys back to back tough matchups and not drop them if they lose a fight. Boxing is ride the hype wave as long as possible staying undefeated till you get a big money fight....

I just think UFC has earned their market domination. It's ok to have competetion but usually they don't cooperate. Cell phone companies could offer such better service if they would cooperate. Instead they put up their own towers and sometimes won't share. It's just business, and reality. I don't think Dana should bear the burdon of the badguy for not feeding his competition.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dana wants the UFC to be like the NFL. If he does, he's doing it the wrong way. He's not gaining it ANY credibility. He's a shaved head irritable little man who throws temper tantrums on TV, not just the Ultimate Fighter either. He's an idiot, he's a bloody idiot as least on camera. That has gotten them so far but he can't make anymore "Fedor isn't a top heavyweight" thread because some of these guys are getting seen.

Thread Information