Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A show of hands - who knew Lacy was an overrated overhyped rookie before the JC fight

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default A show of hands - who knew Lacy was an overrated overhyped rookie before the JC fight

I can remember about 5 people on this site that thought Calzaghe would win that fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A show of hands - who knew Lacy was an overrated overhyped rookie before the JC f

I weren't on this site when it happened i joined Febuary 2007 but i watched Lacy coming through on a few under cards i thought he was the real deal but then when he went the full 12 with Omar Sheika i started to doubt his great punching power and ring general ship. Even against Reid he was hitting him with some illegal shots and stuff against Calzaghe i thought he had a punchers chance he just didn't and still doesn't move very well not for world championship fights he just isn't genuine world champion material. Taking nothing away from Peter Manfredo but Lacy only just beat him and thats nothing to do with the beating from Calzaghe the fact of the matter is he just isn't that good take his power away and he would get beat by most in my opinion. So yes i did think he was overrated and overhyped and vs Calzaghe it was that fight that would show us if he was or not and it turned out he was.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A show of hands - who knew Lacy was an overrated overhyped rookie before the JC f

I did think Lacy was being somewhat overrated, but I thought it would be a tougher fight than it turned out being. It was one of my better picks.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember watching Super Bowl and Lacy was like The poster boy for the event and was being called The Middle weight Mike Tyson (not that he was a Middleweight) the belief in him was unreal in the US. He was the most exciting fighter with the most expectation out of anybody around at that time. Boxing Monthly had all the boxing writers predicting a Lacy win, how can so many people have being wrong? Or did he just take a career ending beating from a guy that had been World champion for 4 years before he even turned pro? I suspect he was overrated, but not as much as the 'hindsight' gang now say. If he hadn't fought Calzaghe and had been brought a long a bit slowe I think his career would've been very different.

Wasn't his amateur record something like 210-10 - the guy was no mug!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i picked joe but gotta admit i pretty much thought it was a pick em fight how wrong we all were hey.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gally View Post
    i picked joe but gotta admit i pretty much thought it was a pick em fight how wrong we all were hey.
    I did too mate

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ICB did.

I remember people were badly ridiculed for thinking Calzaghe could win.

I remember this because, even though i believed Calzaghe could win, the show of support for Lacy was so great that it made me think the likely outcome will be a Lacy victory
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That about sums it up for me too. Thought Joe could win, he'd just have to fight a virtually flawless fight. Who would have known he could do just that?

Thought Lacy would overpower him.

I wish we could dig up the posts from the time. Would show a few people up.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I did. Never ever saw what the fuss was about. Saw him beat Scott Pemberton who was basically a guy who didn't wanna fight no more - and he beat him by cuffing him to death. Sky were making out he was awesome, but i just wasn't that impressed. Same with the Robin Reid fight where him and the ref double teamed Reid.

Thought Joe would beat him, not as easily as he did but i still thought he would. Lacy showed a lot of heart and i have been a bit of a fan ever since but always saw him as a fairly limited fighter with over-rated power.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    I can remember about 5 people on this site that thought Calzaghe would win that fight

So theres 4 more left
    I flew to manchester from London because i had a sneaky feeling Joe would do him.
    Make no mistake about it...95% of this site though he'd get put on his ass by the "new mini Tyson" most of the press thought this too.
    A great Boxer will always beat a Puncher

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

So theres 4 more left
    I flew to manchester from London because i had a sneaky feeling Joe would do him.
    Make no mistake about it...95% of this site though he'd get put on his ass by the "new mini Tyson" most of the press thought this too.

Had a pretty good nite awell didn't ya as I remember

P.S When are you going to pm some pics of your missus

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

So theres 4 more left

Had a pretty good nite awell didn't ya as I remember

P.S When are you going to pm some pics of your missus

What missus
    Not good on that front fella so expect some other hot,sexy bitches pic up anytime soon........
    Meeting one who does Paris Hiltons spa treatments later in Notting Hill
    stunner too lol,and yeah that was a MESSY night post JC v JL
    F*ck knows how we even got on the plane back to London

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I joined right after the fight, I am the biggest lacy fan on this site STILL!! and I thought Jeff would bounce him around the ring like a basketball.. You have to remember before the fight, Joe was sheltered and was rematching guys like Veit, he was oft injured and if memory serves me correct he delayed the Lacy fight once already.. So even if Lacy was half of the hype he still had a great chance against a brittled hand padded champion that was supposedly afraid to fly and was content with fighting mediocre opponents...

I will say it took me to the Kessler fight to be a fan of Joe's, but even after the Lacy fight everyone thought he would step it up because he didnt have to many great fights left, then he fights Bika and Manfredo.. Most of his loyal fans were groaning over this..

Everyone who thinks Joe is gonna steamroll over Jones better reconsider.. Roy is the stronger quick handed fighter.. Joe can flurry with pitter patter Jones is a crisp accurate puncher to the likes Joe has never seen before, Roy has also been great about fighting off the ropes of late and firing in good body shots and uppercuts.. Joe dosent have a stellar defense and if Hop can put him on his ass with a right you best believe Jones can do the same.. Joe eats a steady diet of straight rights and Jones will be the chef. Gonna be a close one. We have seen Roy turn human already a few years back and be effective, I hope at 37 Joe dosent slip seeing fighters have been known to get old in a round
    Last edited by JT Rock; 10-22-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seeing as how the majority thought Lacy would win, and going by the way he was soundly thrashed, I guess that means Lacy was overrated. Although only the people who picked Calzaghe knew that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I knew who they both were at the time but never followed either of them. At that time, I was strictly into the welterweights and below as to me that is where all the excitement was..

Thread Information